IGNORED

Tommy Rowe - interview

Davefevs

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Of all our players.

Not that they haven't of course.

Yonks ago I suggested that our wingbacks could be the fall-guys for the rest of the system to work.

I drew some crude formations to try to explain my basic thoughts (and in fact perhaps some of my footballing principles especially when looking at modern football)

image.thumb.png.b663c5d3548cf0ec8f2501184a0e5902.png

What I explained was that the 5212 (532/352 in Dean’s case) and 4312 keep 8 players in the centre of the pitch (yellow zone) and as most goals are created between the lines of 18 yard box, if City could condense this part of the pitch.

As soon as you go 442, 4411, 4231, you end up with only 6 players in the yellow zone, and 4 wide.

Its obviously not anywhere near as simplistic as my pictures, but in a 352 if the wingbacks are exposed or having bad games as long as it’s in wide positions the rest of the team stay together and aren’t breached.  It is why against Forest that despite lots of crosses it was only when Mawson slipped that they got a clear sight on goal.

The modern 433 is possibly the exception to the rule, but requires very good players and organisation relevant to the level it’s being played at.

Anyway, enough Fevs Theory, proper coaches might debunk it, but I do think it’s why so many teams are moving away from wingers.

4 minutes ago, Midred said:

I think Joe also began to lose interest in latter part of 17/18. I believe that following his performance against Man utd he would be fighting off demands from other teams in the January window. For the rest of the season he gave the impression that he wasn't that bothered.

You may be right....personally I don’t buy it. He might’ve been cheesed off with the performances in front of him by the likes of Ryan Kent though....especially when he was better in their position and Mags could’ve played LB. ???

14 minutes ago, Prinny said:

That's not the same thing is it? My favourite type of mint chocolate is aero mint! I also don't like mint chocolate! Both statements are true.

I don't think they really have with those two. That's my opinion, because we haven't seen the play patterns and systems that would demonstrate they are. 

Compare that to Bakinson. For weeks I've been saying him being pressed will cause us issues! His worst performance was when Izzy Brown pressed him! UNTIL the weekend, where he really struggled, then we made some changes and came through it. So he wasn't targeted that much, then absolutely was, and came through it, evidence that he can.

So where's the evidence for Hunt and Rowe dealing with the play patterns that I think will cause them issues? Hasn't happened yet, because we haven't seen it, or teams try to do that. Maybe it'll be fine, we'll see.

It's a good job you don't give information to sides we have to play, if only other clubs had your insight we would be truly stuffed.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'm guessing our new manager is making a point by being as consistent in his selection as possible.

Yep, that sounds plausible. And like good management. But I'm still crossing my fingers I'll get to watch JD play soon.

Nothing against Rowe or his selection. He's clearly a good guy and doing what's asked of him. 

But to my eyes Jay at his best is just magic, stitching together moves on the left wing and lifting the quality of the players around him. I just love watching him work. Players like him are what it's all about to me. That's why I'm disappointed when I see the line up and he's not in it.

2 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Yep, that sounds plausible. And like good management. But I'm still crossing my fingers I'll get to watch JD play soon.

Nothing against Rowe or his selection. He's clearly a good guy and doing what's asked of him. 

But to my eyes Jay at his best is just magic, stitching together moves on the left wing and lifting the quality of the players around him. I just love watching him work. Players like him are what it's all about to me. That's why I'm disappointed when I see the line up and he's not in it.

Me too.  Wonderful technique.

Needs to improve final ball....needs to pick someone out, not just hit an area.

25 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

It's a good job you don't give information to sides we have to play, if only other clubs had your insight we would be truly stuffed.

it's a good job this forum isn't made up entirely of people who think you can only have insight if you're in the pro game. Be a dull place!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Needs to improve final ball....needs to pick someone out, not just hit an area.

Definitely room for improvement there. He seems to move at a different speed from other players in the build up, to have more time, but then to be rushed on his final ball. If he can calm the nerves he seems to suffer from as he gets close to the opposition goal, he'll be amazing.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

That’s Danny Murphy’s view! 

"You haven't played the game" so what do you know!!! Imagine if you applied that logic to the rest of your life. You can't criticise politicians cause you're not a politician. Better not criticise the customer service you got or any driving you see unless you're paid to do those things. Hope you like every movie if you're not in the film industry. Your taste buds are irrelevant if your food is cooked by a professional chef.

Or is there a lack of understanding that every time someone says an opinion on here there's an unsaid "I'm just a supporter, with not all the information, but here's what I see based on the info that I do have and we're all interacting based off that knowledge and therefore our opinions are imperfectly formed but are still worth discussing" and the good posters will be able to give reasons and pieces of evidence as to how they form those opinions?

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

"You haven't played the game" so what do you know!!! Imagine if you applied that logic to the rest of your life. You can't criticise politicians cause you're not a politician. Better not criticise the customer service you got or any driving you see unless you're paid to do those things. Hope you like every movie if you're not in the film industry. Your taste buds are irrelevant if your food is cooked by a professional chef.

Or is there a lack of understanding that every time someone says an opinion on here there's an unsaid "I'm just a supporter, with not all the information, but here's what I see based on the info that I do have and we're all interacting based off that knowledge and therefore our opinions are imperfectly formed but are still worth discussing" and the good posters will be able to give reasons and pieces of evidence as to how they form those opinions?

Happy Robert Redford GIF

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s Danny Murphy’s view! 

He doe's like the sound of his own voice tho.

Talked today on the reason he played 400+ games was because he never fancied a tackle when he thought he might get hurt. 

He said "i never went into a challenge unless it was a minimum 60/40 in my favour".

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You may be right....personally I don’t buy it. He might’ve been cheesed off with the performances in front of him by the likes of Ryan Kent though....especially when he was better in their position and Mags could’ve played LB. ???

Possibly. Hopefully with age and maturity he'll become more professional?

1 hour ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Yes, quite agree. If both had been fit at the start of the season, I'd have gone with Jay no question. 

12 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Unfashionable to say, perhaps, but I think he's been an excellent signing. Not least because you know what you're going to get week in, week out - a steady 6 or 7 out of 10 type performance. Quite a few of ours can be 4 or 5 out of 10 one week and then 8 the next. Solid defender, keeps it simple on the ball, takes a decent corner, chips in with the odd, important goal, seems a sound character, good team man. What's not to like?  

Very unusual one for us as well, as was already 30 when he was signed, hardly a “name” & had been in League One for the previous 3 seasons with Doncaster.

Played largely on the left of a midfield 4 for them (very much as Tinnion did when he first joined us) but has been invaluable as LB or LWB cover.

Has all the attributes you describe plus a superb availability record & excellent fitness levels.

Probably is near the bottom of the wage bill but (unlike some) he earns every penny. One that Mark Ashton can certainly say he got spot on.

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Very unusual one for us as well, as was already 30 when he was signed, hardly a “name” & had been in League One for the previous 3 seasons with Doncaster.

Played largely on the left of a midfield 4 for them (very much as Tinnion did when he first joined us) but has been invaluable as LB or LWB cover.

Has all the attributes you describe plus a superb availability record & excellent fitness levels.

Probably is near the bottom of the wage bill but (unlike some) he earns every penny. One that Mark Ashton can certainly say he got spot on.

Over 100 games at this level for Wolves and Peterborough earlier in his career, he’s always been good technically.  I wasn’t surprised he came in and did ok.  Pretty sure we tried to sign him in the summer of 14/15 but he went to Wolves.

Don’t normally bother listening to many players pre match’s but as it was Tommy Rowe......

This Guy never ceases to impress - he appears the absolute consumate pro

The sort of pro I don’t begrudge a penny in wages

Because of his attitude and professionalism becoming a memorable player for me 

Be good to have him here post playing 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Over 100 games at this level for Wolves and Peterborough earlier in his career, he’s always been good technically.  I wasn’t surprised he came in and did ok.  Pretty sure we tried to sign him in the summer of 14/15 but he went to Wolves.

Over 500 league games over 5 clubs and only one transfer fee of just over 100k.

Played in L2, L1, and the Championship.

77 goals, 55 assists and no red cards.

A Steady Eddie.

14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Over 500 league games over 5 clubs and only one transfer fee of just over 100k.

Played in L2, L1, and the Championship.

77 goals, 55 assists and no red cards.

A Steady Eddie.

77 goals was a real shock, I even checked it?

I see "only" 35 in the last 6 years but 6 a season is some average for his position.

Shame in a way we "wasted / invested" the wages in Brunt when perhaps Rowe could have weighed in with more.

Does nobody think Rowe is actually a more sound defensive option than Dasilva? Dasilva is, as has been said, great on the ball going forward. But he makes me nervous as a defender, particularly against bigger players, of which there are many. I'd tend to favour Rowe if we have our backs against the wall. And I think possibly opponents are more likely to target Jay's size as a weakness than Rowe.

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Does nobody think Rowe is actually a more sound defensive option than Dasilva? Dasilva is, as has been said, great on the ball going forward. But he makes me nervous as a defender, particularly against bigger players, of which there are many. I'd tend to favour Rowe if we have our backs against the wall. And I think possibly opponents are more likely to target Jay's size as a weakness than Rowe.

I honestly think he is sound defensively.

He’s effective in the air on the back post too.  He uses his body well, gets up early, and puts people off.  I think people look at his height and assume too much.

I spent a lot of time watching him as we sit above the left back position (1st half) and he is a joy to watch.  The way he receives the ball with his head up (because his touch is assured) buys him time.  Fellow City players know they can knock it into him and get it back.  And the way he sucks his marker in and then drives inside is top notch.

17 hours ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

I've been wondering about why Jay isn't getting picked. Hoping that he's just being wrapped in cotton wool after injury. But it's starting to look as though he's not favoured. It's difficult to argue with given how well the team's doing, but I can't help being disappointed, I just love watching him play.

Two different players but i prefer Rowe. He is better in defensive, scores sometime and have a role in the team. 46 games in the leauge and Dasilva will play from start, many games and good with rotation. Tonight  I think Dasilva is on the bench instead of COD. 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Agree 100%, I’m not convinced by Dasilva defensively at all, also seen him virtually give up on several occasions when a guy gets past him.

Excellent going forward & good crosser of the ball to be fair, though.

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Funny that because I don’t think Dasilva gets forward enough, especially with the ability he has to push forward. Still yet to score for us and sometimes it’s that final pass that lets him down.

Sound defensively though and good around the half way line. 

Archived