IGNORED

Euro Premier League

bcfc01

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

I remember sky sports talking about the idea with project big picture and could it lead to this, they were of the thinking the teams would probably stay in their domestic leagues but then assemble basically a PL squad and a euro PL squad

Hopefully the powers that be have the balls to say "take your pick lads, one or the other". If the Premier League becomes a B team League for five clubs people will just ditch it.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Beating Man U in the league cup was just another game to you?

Seeing Mourinho and Guardiola in the dug out at Ashton Gate meant nothing?

Pogba, Aguero, DeBruyne and Ibrahimovic on the AG turf is not different than any other top flight players?

We differ there buddy!

It’s all cyclical.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Those clubs haven’t always been the big fish....teams, dominance changes over periods of time.

Bring on Goodison and the King Power.

I'm surprised you're arguing that.

You think Barcelona and Real Madrid are just flavour of the month too?

Just now, Davefevs said:

Give them an ultimatum!!  Allowing this would distort the Pyramid more.  This is actually have your B Team in the Prem, rather than lower down the pyramid.  Tell em to eff off.

I think it's simple if I am the Premier League or EFL. If you want to make your own Euro League with Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus then go and don't come running back to us when fans get bored of it. You can't have the best of both worlds.

Beating Man U in the league cup was just another game to you?

Seeing Mourinho and Guardiola in the dug out at Ashton Gate meant nothing?

Pogba, Aguero, DeBruyne and Ibrahimovic on the AG turf is not different than any other top flight players?

We differ there buddy!

I could really survive without watching a Man Utd Reserve Squad in the Premiership to be honest.........very easily.

Reserve squad?

That's the likelihood. "A" squad in the European league and a "B" Squad in the Premier league. Five teams in this country will have 70 man squads "for the good of the wider game" apparently, the rest getting the crumbs on the floor.

If that's what the Premier League is on the verge of being about then no rush from me to be a part of it.......

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

They'd move down the football pyramid quickly

They won't though. They will just cherry pick MORE players from smaller clubs with the lure of "give it two years and you'll be in our Europa squad".........70 players earning between £75K and £500K per week, that will be the model.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm surprised you're arguing that.

You think Barcelona and Real Madrid are just flavour of the month too?

That’s Spain.

Our football history has allowed the clubs of that era to thrive and win our various leagues.  Preston, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Villa, Forest, etc.  The PL brought upon the closed shop of Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea....and the bridesmaid Liverpool.

If their breakaway helps football reset, I’m all in favour.

12 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I think it's simple if I am the Premier League or EFL. If you want to make your own Euro League with Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus then go and don't come running back to us when fans get bored of it. You can't have the best of both worlds.

Literally make them come back to Tier 9 if they get bored.....................

If this plan is some sort of Americanisation of football meaning a "Closed Shop" Euro league without relegation they will find out fairly quickly that they are not in America where that kind of garbage is accepted. 

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That's the likelihood. "A" squad in the European league and a "B" Squad in the Premier league. Five teams in this country will have 70 man squads "for the good of the wider game" apparently, the rest getting the crumbs on the floor.

If that's what the Premier League is on the verge of being about then no rush from me to be a part of it.......

Totally agree, another reason that the Euro Super League is bad for the dreams of Bristol City fans. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s Spain.

Our football history has allowed the clubs of that era to thrive and win our various leagues.  Preston, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Villa, Forest, etc.  The PL brought upon the closed shop of Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea....and the bridesmaid Liverpool.

If their breakaway helps football reset, I’m all in favour.

Do you not think that the Italian, German and Spanish leagues would be worse without their top clubs?

Is that a price worth paying for a reset that could be reached another way?

And are you seriously saying, in your heart of hearts, that you would get equally excited watching City play Leicester as you would Manchester United?! 

And why, if the league is cyclical do we have a so-called "big 6"?

I’m kind of with the “sod em” feeling here, but for those who think this is doomed to failure without local rivalries etc think again.

The money for the PL isn’t from Burnley fans paying to watch Burnley (even at £15 ppv). It’s not even on the domestic subscriptions - tbh, I think me, and many others would not subscribe to a Euro Super League.

The money is from the game in the Far East, in Dubai etc. That’s why Qatar has the World Cup, that’s why we’ve had the game discussion of game 39. And even if locals get bored and don’t want to watch Man Utd vs Munich for the 700th time, enough tourists will. (Thin end of wedge here - guarantee some games will be played in USA, Australia, Japan etc so even if Liverpool fans are creaming over Barcelona every year - newsflash - it won’t happen in Liverpool, and it might be in the middle of the night - see NFL in London). But subscribers in Japan don’t subscribe for Fulham - they subscribe for Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

This will work because of the non UK money. But it won’t be the rabid fan base it once was. It won’t be as intense. It won’t be as entertaining, even with the quality of the players, because the fans will give less of a shit. Financially though, it will make money. It’s just whether even fans of the five realise they won’t really have a club at the end of it.

Just now, mozo said:

Do you not think that the Italian, German and Spanish leagues would be worse without their top clubs?

And are you seriously saying, in your heart of hearts, that you would get equally excited watching City play Leicester as you would Manchester United?! 

I think that should this league happen you will get supporters that "boycott" games against the Big 5 Reserve Squads.................

I haven't seen City play in League games against Manchester United for 40 odd years so won't be losing much sleep over another 40. I enjoy going to football enough to keep buying my season ticket and whether we play Leicester City first team or Arsenal Reserves won't change that...............except to say I am more likely to turn it in if we play in a league filled with Reserve teams.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

I think that should this league happen you will get supporters that "boycott" games against the Big 5 Reserve Squads.................

I haven't seen City play in League games against Manchester United for 40 odd years so won't be losing much sleep over another 40. I enjoy going to football enough to keep buying my season ticket and whether we play Leicester City first team or Arsenal Reserves won't change that...............except to say I am more likely to turn it in if we play in a league filled with Reserve teams.

Yeah sod reserve teams if the breakaway happens.

Last time City were top flight I was a few months old so I'm really hoping we can go up before the breakaway so that I see us play league games at Anfield and old Trafford.

Just now, mozo said:

worse?  That can be taken multiple ways.  You could say their league is less competitive because of the likes of Bayern in it.  Our own league is imho 

yes, for me.  I’m 50, grew up pre-Prem and see football today as an inferior product in many ways.

yep.  It’s why I can happily sit and watch an EFL game on sky with total focus, yet watch a PL game casually whilst doing other things.  Leicester could be the big fish in the “new top flight” - I’d be excited by that.

That’s PL jargon....it used to run in cycles.  David Dein and Irving Scholar have a lot to answer for.

Man City were in Lg1 not long back, Man Utd swapped divisions with Tottenham in 1976.  Forest and Villa won the European Cup.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Totally agree, another reason that the Euro Super League is bad for the dreams of Bristol City fans. 

I can say hand on heart it doesn't matter to me who we play, Leicester Manu or Mansfield. Same buzz when we win.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I don't get excited over who City are playing. I would prefer to play Manchester United over Rochdale of course, but I just want to see my club playing at the highest level, if they think they're too good for that then let them go and we'll still have a good time. I have never seen City play the Big 5/6 clubs regularly so would not lose sleep at the thought of never playing them, just because they're above the rest. 

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

They won't though. They will just cherry pick MORE players from smaller clubs with the lure of "give it two years and you'll be in our Europa squad".........70 players earning between £75K and £500K per week, that will be the model.

I couldn't see them wanting to compete with the spending of the other premier league teams to maintain their premier league status when that money could be spent on the euro premier league side to compete for 'the real money'

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

I don't get excited over who City are playing. I would prefer to play Manchester United over Rochdale of course, but I just want to see my club playing at the highest level, if they think they're too good for that then let them go and we'll still have a good time. I have never seen City play the Big 5/6 clubs regularly so would not lose sleep at the thought of never playing them, just because they're above the rest. 

In my view the league they are proposing will have a shelf life of 15-20 years.............then the clubs will come back with their tales between their legs............if it was me in charge of the domestic game that is when the real fun would begin!!

Just now, Lrrr said:

I couldn't see them wanting to compete with the spending of the other premier league teams to maintain their premier league status when that money could be spent on the euro premier league side to compete for 'the real money'

They will have enough clout in my view to maintain both. However, should one or two of them get relegated that would be interesting in terms of their player recruitment because top flight players not quite good enough for the European League won't be rushing to play in the English Domestic Second tier!!

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

In my view the league they are proposing will have a shelf life of 15-20 years.............then the clubs will come back with their tales between their legs............if it was me in charge of the domestic game that is when the real fun would begin!!

Umm yes Manchester United and Liverpool you can start in the North West Counties League and Chelsea and Arsenal the London metropolitan sunday leagues

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks for the replies Dave.

We differ on that for sure. I can't relate to the idea that beating Man U in the League Cup or Liverpool in the FA Cup wasn't special in ways that beating Aston Villa and Everton simply couldn't match.

In my lifetime beating Man Utd and Liverpool has gravitas in the same way that beating Barcelona would be incredible for Tenerife. To lose that opportunity is quite sad.

Other than as a City fan with dreams of top flight excitement, I'm not too bothered, but it would be interesting to know if any other fans think a post breakaway promotion would be tinged with disappointment like it would for me.

Let's hope City go up in the next three seasons so that we both get what we want!

Archived