IGNORED

Euro Premier League

bcfc01

A number of people saying that the fans won’t accept it, these greedy b@@@@@d’s know that for every genuine ManU / scouser that actually goes to a game there are a 000’ or more Asians and the rest watching on TV, none of whom know where Burnley is.

The new European Super League will, in my view, copy the NFL, each “member” being a franchise, no relegation and salary caps. Obtaining the franchise Is the cost, no relegation reduces the risk, and the salary cap keeps the profits in the hands of the owners.

For the rest left in the current Premier League, income will drastically drop as TV rights will produce significantly less, foreign owners will start to withdraw, and this will have knock on effects throughout the EFL. Should a Leicester win the PL, they won’t be promoted to the new league, only a cheque book does that, not a football team. 

It may all work out in the end, but there will be casualties throughout the pyramid. And of course, England will have lost one of its most successful business ventures to the Yanks and their European mates.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Thanks for the replies Dave.

We differ on that for sure. I can't relate to the idea that beating Man U in the League Cup or Liverpool in the FA Cup wasn't special in ways that beating Aston Villa and Everton simply couldn't match.

In my lifetime beating Man Utd and Liverpool has gravitas in the same way that beating Barcelona would be incredible for Tenerife. To lose that opportunity is quite sad.

Other than as a City fan with dreams of top flight excitement, I'm not too bothered, but it would be interesting to know if any other fans think a post breakaway promotion would be tinged with disappointment like it would for me.

Let's hope City go up in the next three seasons so that we both get what we want!

Yeah, we each have our romanticisms.

In some ways, I’ve seen City play the big teams of the time....my first game was City 1 Liverpool 0 at AG in 78....so perhaps that’s why I’m less fussed.  I’ve been to Anfield, Old Trafford, The Emirates, etc...not necessarily with City.  Perhaps that factors in too.

1 minute ago, Midred said:

Any chance they could take some "training fodder" with them like Leeds, Villa, Forest and Derby - legends in their own minds!

Some new clubs in their mind I haven't heard of for a while.
Don't you mean Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds United and Wayne Rooney's Derby County?

The problem with this is that the top clubs will just take an even more massive slice of the revenues from TV meaning there will be even more clubs cut adrift from the £££ league. Even the remaining Premier clubs (some big names in there) would have the cash supply line either cut or certainly reduced. Accordingly, you would expect those even further down the food chain to get even less than they're getting now.

could be a death nail for many professional clubs n the UK IMHO.

I would guess the 5 would be

Man Utd

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

Man City

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

The problem with this is that the top clubs will just take a massive slice of the revenues from TV meaning there will be even more clubs cut adrift from the £££ league. Even the remaining Premier clubs (some big names in there) would have the cash supply line either cut or certainly reduced. Accordingly, you would expect those even further down the food chain to get even less than they're getting now.

could be a death nail for many professional clubs n the UK IMHO.

I would guess the 5 would be

Man Utd

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

Man City

Plus Spurs

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Let them go ensuring it's a one way door. Once gone they aren't coming back. Boycott all income streams and make clear to sponsors you'll be boycotting their products.

Let them rot.

Let them rot? It would be a huge commercial success surely?

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Plus Spurs

As Scholar was one of the reasons for breaking the English financial models (along with Dein) in the late 80s, Spurs will no doubt want to be part of the club.

For info, Dein changed the rule that restricted Directors taking dividends greater then 2.5% out of the club.  It became unrestricted.

Scholar introduced the concept of the Holding Company as a way around moving monies between companies to get around the rules above.

Dein a huge part of the PL formation.

If you want to read about football greed....David Conn - The Beautiful Game.

From the sounds of it I think UEFA are currently in the process of screwing up the european competitions in how they want to change them going forward. 

I believe the owners of the top clubs are extremely concerned that their future revenues are going to dry up in a big way but I don't think this would help them and rather they are using the threat as bait to try and get a better TV deal. I would call their bluff to be honest and if they follow through and leave then its good luck but I won't be following!

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

I thought it said 5 British clubs?

In all honesty, shouldn't that include Leicester then as they've won more than Arsenal and Spurs recently?

Arsenal are the biggest of the three in the Premier League era. Spurs have the stadium, the A-list manager and the England captain but they don't qualify based on success.

Just now, mozo said:

Let them rot? It would be a huge commercial success surely?

Wouldn't bet on it. Premier may have many fans abroad that drive commercial sponsorship but TV rights deals aren't that lucrative. 

Combined fans backlash if coordinated could really do some damage. Let your TV provider know you'll scrap your subscription if they sign up, ditto custom for things like your local boozer.

It's about time fans readdressed the balance.

I dont get why rich English clubs would want to make their continental rivals richer, which is what they would do in a European League. This would also effectively replace the Champions League - no way will UEFA accept that. I would also imagine fans not being happy - If you are a Liverpool fan you want to be champions of your country - okay its great to dominate Europe but they can win the Champions league. Whats not to like?

Im not naive enough to know this isnt driven by money, and i suppose Covid is a (cynical) opportunity to come up with another plan, however i cant see it happening fast. You have current UEFA TV contracts, PL TV contracts, Bundesliga TV contracts etc - all to be re-negotiated. Will Sky pay billions if ManU are not in the PL ? Nope. The whole fabric of the game will change and i cant see the multiple stakeholders all agreeing.

If the concept is it becomes a "closed" league where the 16/18 members are there for life that kills the game for me. It becomes like wrestling.

8 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Wouldn't bet on it. Premier may have many fans abroad that drive commercial sponsorship but TV rights deals aren't that lucrative. 

Combined fans backlash if coordinated could really do some damage. Let your TV provider know you'll scrap your subscription if they sign up, ditto custom for things like your local boozer.

It's about time fans readdressed the balance.

I think the backlash against this would be about as co-ordinated and impactful as the big City fans protest against the appointment of Holden!

You know, the one that was championed on a football forum and then never actually happened.

Having said that, fair play the Newcastle fans sending their cash to the food bank...

I only skimmed the article but sounds very much like arsene wenger’s prediction of permanent members of super leagues playing games on weekend with their domestic games being played during the week whilst they ditch FA/Carabao Cup. As has been said I don’t think this is really for the European based fans, they are just chasing the global £££. According to Man Utd they have more supporters in the USA than UK and estimate 1.1billion ‘supporters’ worldwide

1 hour ago, phantom said:

These talks have been mentioned and touted for decades.

Can't honestly see any football association ever letting this happen

..........like the FA didn't allow the formation of the Premier League, which in itself was a forerunner to the change from European Cup to Champions League, which in turn precipitated what is now being talked about? 

20 minutes ago, mozo said:

Arsenal are the biggest of the three in the Premier League era. Spurs have the stadium, the A-list manager and the England captain but they don't qualify based on success.

I totally agree Mozo but would history take precedence over recent success? Can you imagine the legal challenges from Arsenal, Leicester, Spurs when one of them doesn't get in?? ?

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I totally agree Mozo but would history take precedence over recent success? Can you imagine the legal challenges from Arsenal, Leicester, Spurs when one of them doesn't get in?? ?

But if this Euro league is made invitation only, what right would any club have to be invited? 

23 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm against this as a City fan but I would 100% watch the games. Seeing all the elite players up against each other is always fascinating if you're a fan of the beautiful game.

What makes it the beautiful game is much more than seeing the best players pitted against each other.

It is competition, that the minnows and no hopers can become giant killers, that teams like Leicester can win the title, teams like Notts County and Carlisle can get promotion to the top flight, that Watford can come from division 4 to top division runners up in successive seasons and Wimbledon can go from non league to the top flight and FA Cup winners.

It is also about every small boy being able to dream that his team, no matter how lowly in football’s pyramid, might one day win the cup or compete against the very best.

This idea takes all of that away for good - unless you are a small boy in Asia, watching your team on TV and that you regard Man U , Chelsea and the like as lowly teams !

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

I remember sky sports talking about the idea with project big picture and could it lead to this, they were of the thinking the teams would probably stay in their domestic leagues but then assemble basically a PL squad and a euro PL squad

No they should either piss off or stay put IMO.

Archived