IGNORED

Euro Premier League

bcfc01

30 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Wouldn't bet on it. Premier may have many fans abroad that drive commercial sponsorship but TV rights deals aren't that lucrative. 

Combined fans backlash if coordinated could really do some damage. Let your TV provider know you'll scrap your subscription if they sign up, ditto custom for things like your local boozer.

It's about time fans readdressed the balance.

£4.2bn the last PL overseas tv rights deal (£4.6bn uk deal).  That’s pretty lucrative in my eyes ???

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

No they should either piss off or stay put IMO.

Not disagreeing, the only thing I could see out of it is that we may achieve the part of having more English players playing in the top flight of English football. But again the downside the best will be hoovered up to play in a super league so no Sancho/Kane/Rashford etc in English football and anyone like Harvey Barnes performing well at a club outside would then probably get taken.

14 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

But if this Euro league is made invitation only, what right would any club have to be invited? 

Once again, I totally agree Bas but you can see it coming. All relatively big clubs will want their bigger slice of the pie and some will inevitably miss out.

The top clubs have been testing the waters with this for many years now. I'm in favour of those franchises breaking away in principle, but I fear the financial ramifications of such a deal. On the face of it, we might have a better chance of being an established top-flight club if it was a clean break but other clubs would likely go to the wall. It will probably end up with the big six using the top-flight as their U23 side, which would devalue the competition anyway. It definitely feels like with this and the pandemic, we're approaching a crossroad with football as we know it in this country. 

33 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Not disagreeing, the only thing I could see out of it is that we may achieve the part of having more English players playing in the top flight of English football. But again the downside the best will be hoovered up to play in a super league so no Sancho/Kane/Rashford etc in English football and anyone like Harvey Barnes performing well at a club outside would then probably get taken.

Some concessions will need to be made by us fans

35 minutes ago, tin said:

The top clubs have been testing the waters with this for many years now. I'm in favour of those franchises breaking away in principle, but I fear the financial ramifications of such a deal. On the face of it, we might have a better chance of being an established top-flight club if it was a clean break but other clubs would likely go to the wall. It will probably end up with the big six using the top-flight as their U23 side, which would devalue the competition anyway. It definitely feels like with this and the pandemic, we're approaching a crossroad with football as we know it in this country. 

We hit the PL just as the money moves away from it. Wonderful! :(

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And with our wonderful owner backing us, we go and win it!,

That will be on slagchat in seconds Dave. 'Arrogant sheeds'.

Just now, Grey Fox said:

On who the five would be, it would simply be the five that pay the most, this is franchise football, your history means f all.

Cue England's first £1M a week player then. Absolute madness!

There has been a revamp of the champ league brewing for a couple of years. All the top clubs have been in discussions and it’s been reported in a few of the better news outlets.

this latest news is just a stalking horse to get these top clubs what they want. Less domestic games and more Europe games. If it means less money in the prem it will be good for the efl imo.

3 hours ago, redsontour said:

For countries where there are very limited away fans, which is pretty much everywhere except here, it makes sense, but for the same reason, it will fail. 

Would Liverpool fans be happy not playing Everton ever again?

The Merseyside Derby means nothing to 99% of Liverpool fans.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

£4.2bn the last PL overseas tv rights deal (£4.6bn uk deal).  That’s pretty lucrative in my eyes ???

Blimey, didn't realise it had gone up so much in the last two deals. That said, that's pretty much down to BeIN Sports and their desire for global domination. They won't be punting additional monies into this venture, it'll be recouped from all the other leagues they require currently retire coverage of and if those products come up short, well that's not a great business model. Folks cough up for variety across the leagues, not just a few select games each season. Were I a broadcaster, such proposal would have me driving individual leagues to the brink by dropping payments and then do so with a take it or leave it deal with the new Super League. Recall, the more out on a limb you become, the easier you become to take down.

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Don't forget this scenario Dave:

In 2024-25 Bristol City finally achieve promotion to the Premier League.

But there is no visit to Old Trafford, Anfield or the Emirates to get excited about.

No, the high profile teams in our top flight are Everton, Leicester and Wolves.

How do Bristol City fans feel, having waited all that time to not only miss out on the most exciting fixtures, but also no parachute payments on the way down.

I really don’t care.

I like Bristol City being successful no matter what competition they play in.

I don’t need Liverpool or Manchester United or Division 3 Manchester City, to validate that.

You’re giving them far too much credit and reverence.

We’re you that bothered that Spurs weren’t in the top flight in 77?

Would it have bothered you if city would have gone up in the 50s only to find Liverpool weren’t there?

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

How to totally devalue the domestic game in 1 decision Warks. :(

Absolutely! Let them leave if they want but then they shouldn't be allowed in the FA, League cups, U23s, youth etc etc. If they want to return to the English league then they can start out in non league like every other new team

Assuming that this isn't some pipe dream being floated by journalists.

It shouldn't be a surprise and it's deeply unsettling.

Every team has its core support and its fair weather supporters. This proposed league would be all about growing the fair weather supporters who like their brands.

If this Euro league happens, it will be the core supporters who suffer because they will be priced out of watching their team live and relegated to watching their team on the box. I'd like to think that this would cause these core supporters to look elsewhere for their football but owners know that footy fans don't readily change allegiances.

For me, this all comes down to the relevant authorities doing the 'right thing' and preventing it. Unfortunately, time and time again, doing the 'right thing' is becoming a rarity in the modern age.

An interesting concept. How would it work? Would they play weekly? 
hmm how to alienate your local fan base. I guess they’d have to go and support someone else (I know some Spurs fans who now go to a league two club because they can’t get tickets for Spurs).

if it does go ahead can just go back to the old four divisions? :pray:

8 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Assuming that this isn't some pipe dream being floated by journalists.

It shouldn't be a surprise and it's deeply unsettling.

Every team has its core support and its fair weather supporters. This proposed league would be all about growing the fair weather supporters who like their brands.

If this Euro league happens, it will be the core supporters who suffer because they will be priced out of watching their team live and relegated to watching their team on the box. I'd like to think that this would cause these core supporters to look elsewhere for their football but owners know that footy fans don't readily change allegiances.

For me, this all comes down to the relevant authorities doing the 'right thing' and preventing it. Unfortunately, time and time again, doing the 'right thing' is becoming a rarity in the modern age.

It WILL happen at some point in time. No ifs or buts.

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Are any of the clubs involved sponsored by EasyJet?

Ha,ha. Can you see a Ryanair sponsored team where the players have to pay for their half time slice of orange thrown at them by some old bat in one corner of the dressing room.

Archived