IGNORED

City v Middlesbrough Matchday Thread

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Full time summary:

I missed the goal....grabbing my jumper from the hallway. ☹️☹️.

Fairplay to Boro.  Worked so hard and stifled us easily.  

Fair play to Boro?  Are you serious?  They were nasty and cynical and the time-wasting was amongst the worst I’ve ever seen.  They were the antithesis of fair play and thank god I don’t have to watch that every week.  There’s nothing commendable in the way Boro played tonight, and I’m not surprised we couldn’t break them down.  A horrible team.

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

'Defund the police' 

Destroying British monuments

Black lives matter is political and pushing a far left agenda.

The riots destroying many businesses.

Oh and freedom of expression.

I missed this conversation. Pleasantly surprised to see that at Kick off. It should be a players choice. And the fact the media and some people are quick to condemn them not doing it shows whats wrong with the action.

Fair play to them.

2 minutes ago, handballbygordonparr said:

No - sorry. We played our game exceptionally badly. It was our game to manage.

‘It was our game to manage’?  Why?  Boro clearly set out to block everything we tried to do.  If you seek to simply negate everything the opposition does, then you are the ones managing.  That’s what Warnock does, and some people wanted him for our manager.  God help us and god help football.

5 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

@Posset red @alandicks @luke_bristol

Give me one good reason why not to take the knee

Personally I think the effect has now been totally diluted because it has almost gone from protest / acknowledgement / message to pre-game ritual. For example a minutes silence / applause is still respected because the occurrence is few and far between, this has now been every game since the return from lockdown. 

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

'Defund the police' 

A slogan being used the US, where levels of police funding are significantly higher than the UK, and where the police are routinely called to incidents they are not appropriately trained to deal with, which in the UK would be dealt with by trained mental health professionals.

The only thing that got destroyed is a statue which was contentious four months ago. Since then, despite doom and gloom predictions of a slippery slope, all other monuments remain intact. 

Black Lives Matter is a slogan people are protesting around and not an organised movement. Some people have set up a website, which people who want to discredit the protests pay an inordinate amount of attention to. It isn't massively relevant to the reason why people are protesting. 

I'm pretty sure most business people at the moment  see people campaigning for equality as way less of a threat to their business than COVID or the economy. A small amount of rioting has been seized on by detractors determined to ignore the fact the majority of posting is peaceful. 

You are criticising players for taking the knee and you are criticising people for protesting. You evidently don't support freedom of expression. Players should be free not to take the knee but the choice of those who take the knee also has to be respected.

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

'Defund the police' 

So this is why I have never visited the politics forum on OTIB and have no plans ever to do so. I've never ventured in there because of the fear that some posters I like and admire and whose posts about football I enjoy, will turn out to be brexiters, or 'all lives matter' types. Or right wingers or left wingers, or just c. ts. I'd rather not know to be honest, it seems safer this way. 

Just now, bexhill reds said:

Personally I think the effect has now been totally diluted because it has almost gone from protest / acknowledgement / message to pre-game ritual. For example a minutes silence / applause is still respected because the occurrence is few and far between, this has now been every game since the return from lockdown. 

I do agree with this. It has become a token gesture, rather than a tool for meaningful change. 

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

‘It was our game to manage’?  Why?  Boro clearly set out to block everything we tried to do.  If you seek to simply negate everything the opposition does, then you are the ones managing.  That’s what Warnock does, and some people wanted him for our manager.  God help us and god help football.

My point exactly - Warnock managed the game - we didn't - he got 3 points. We didn't.

Well. Warnock did a job on us there. Totally sussed us and delivered the perfect game plan. 

Completely stifled our attack, nullified our midfield and waited for a mistake from our defence and we duly delivered.

Two really shocking lazy moments from our youngsters. Saw it coming from Bakinson in the first half and that’ll be the last time we see Mawson because of it I suspect. As for Taylor Moore, we always know that he has that in him unfortunately as otherwise he’s sound. Suppose that’s the risk you take of playing youngsters... Bakinson needs to learn big time from that, Taylor Moore is approaching his last warning.

You can’t be friggin sloppy at this level and need to concentrate 100% lads. One mistake and 90 plus minutes wasted for the rest of the team. 

Worst player by a million miles for me was BCTV must have dropped out 8 times and took an average of 2 minutes to reconnect via various different means including logging out/in.  Woeful. Won’t be bother8ng with that again. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

You are criticising players for taking the knee and you are critiquing people for protesting. You don't support freedom of expression. 

I don't support an organisation that defends criminality which is what the rioters and monument destroyers have done, but I respect their point of view. Sorry you can't see that.

Utterly abysmal tonight, pato, Rowe, Wells, Martin, Weimann, Bakinson were all anonymous tonight, what Bentley and were Moore were doing for the goal is beyond me.... think to many players looking at the table tonight and believing the hype... well this is a crash back down to earth, the midfield is spineless sooner Williams and Walsh fit the better (even Nagy and Massengo would work harder)

As a city fan how lives up north it will be unbearable especially that utter clown Colin, my poor son is just about to get his city kit and we lose to Boro and colin like that am fuming..

I've watched quite a few of Warnock's matches and I'm never sure how he contrives to drag the opposition team down to his level. We're far better than that and like the last match a catastrophic error allowed us to drop points.

I don't usually go for the cheap hit at the officials but why do they allow his teams to go beyond the time wasting and falling over to break up play. He gave the goalkeeper a yellow card then immediately gives the ball back to him! Perhaps time wasting should be a free kick to the other team? As for the penalty shout we were never going to get anything.

Sorry -  long disappointing evening!

21 minutes ago, handballbygordonparr said:

Did they come for a draw? - maybe in first 20 but after that it was obvious we were there for the taking. We would have been delighted with a draw from that performance. Certainly don't think they nicked it - we can't win without a shot on target

No, granted. 
They had 1 shot on target. 
They defended well but certainly came for a 0-0. 

46 minutes ago, RedM said:

Just as bad by Bentley

Yep. Boro we’re pressing us high up the pitch all game. Holden said in the past , players have to make their own decisions and we don’t have to play out from the back regardless. Bentley has to take as much blame as Moore .

That said, mistakes happen. Boro done a number on us and we weren’t good enough to get round it. 
It’s a open division this season , but we got a hell of a lot of improving to do to be anywhere near the play offs 

5 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Well. Warnock did a job on us there. Totally sussed us and delivered the perfect game plan. 

Completely stifled our attack, nullified our midfield and waited for a mistake from our defence and we duly delivered.

Two really shocking lazy moments from our youngsters. Saw it coming from Bakinson in the first half and that’ll be the last time we see Mawson because of it I suspect. As for Taylor Moore, we always know that he has that in him unfortunately as otherwise he’s sound. Suppose that’s the risk you take of playing youngsters... Bakinson needs to learn big time from that, Taylor Moore is approaching his last warning.

You can’t be friggin sloppy at this level and need to concentrate 100% lads. One mistake and 90 plus minutes wasted for the rest of the team. 

Worst player by a million miles for me was BCTV must have dropped out 8 times and took an average of 2 minutes to reconnect via various different means including logging out/in.  Woeful. Won’t be bother8ng with that again. 

I think your use of the word ‘lazy’ is uncalled for.  Taylor Moore made a misjudgement, but not out of laziness.  He’s young and all players make mistakes.  Give him (and Bakinson) a break.

Archived