Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

City v Middlesbrough Matchday Thread

Crap performance, crap result.  Sometimes it happens.

It's very easy to make a midfield with few outlets look weak, just be very cautious and defend deeply enough.

No need to have a revolution just yet but some of our results so far have been better than our performances, which not many have acknowledged.

If we don't improve quite a bit over the next few games and the great point return we've had so far starts to look like a blip we might have to rethink whether this shape and approach is right.

Quite early to panic though.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, YGBjammy said:

Next game will be the most interesting yet, this is where managers prove their worth. 

Gives him a good reason to change some personnel too.

Yeah agree. A win would be an even bigger morale boost now.

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

And your professional qualification(s) qualifying you to utter such a 'profound' statement is/are....? 

In fairness the look on his face perhaps said it all, it looked like recognition of what he’d done, and the fact he didn’t want to put weight on it at all. You got the impression he knew it was a bad one. Fingers crossed not only for us but him. 

Not wishing to avoid the fact we were woeful tonight and deserved nothing from that performance however did notice that top of the table Reading had just one shot on target against Wycombe tonight.....which is one more than we managed against Boro - funny old game init? 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Again you are being a bit naive in not realising that anyone can set up a website. The website itself states that it is "not affiliated with the @UKBLM Twitter account or Black Matters USA. None of these things are affiliated because there is no organisation, just some people who have set up some websites.

You could set up a Black Lives Matter website tomorrow if you wanted to, or I could. You or I could put whatever you wanted on there but we'd not suddenly turn Black Lives Matter into an organisation by doing so. You seem to confuse "someone having set up a website" with "an organised organsiation actually existing".  The people behind that website did not come up with the slogan, are not coordinating the protests and are not the reason people turn up to them. They are literally some people who have set up a website and nothing more. 

If you are going to show stats, you may want to check them. There were actualy 1004 people shot by the US police in 2019. 370 white, 235 black, 158 hispanic, 39 other and 202 of an unrecorded ethnicity.

However non-hispanic white people make up 60.7% of the US population, and black people make up 12% of the US population. There are 5 times more white people than black people in the US but only 1.5 times more white people than black people shot by police. The stats therefore suggest black people are shot at a disproportionate rate. 

What are the respective crime figures though? statistics probably show that black people commit far more of the types of crime liable to get them shot they make up a huge proportion of the prison population in the US as well way out of proportion to their numbers that is not all down to them being picked on is it.

• Like 2

So glad I was out tonight and didn't anchor myself around listening to City.

It's surely no surprise to anyone: We were poor first half against Barnsley, and second half against Forest. I can't exactly say we were very convincing against Coventry.

I'm not sure we really have the quality to do that much this season. This initial quick burst may be the blip. This result may be the usual.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pillred said:

What are the respective crime figures though? statistics probably show that black people commit far more of the types of crime liable to get them shot they make up a huge proportion of the prison population in the US as well way out of proportion to their numbers that is not all down to them being picked on is it.

Statistics also show that when black people and white people come before US courts on identical charges, it's the black people who attract the heavier sentences. Statistics also show that black people resisting arrest are more likely to be shot by police than white people resisting arrest; and black people carrying weapons are more likely to be shot dead by police than white people carrying weapons.

THAT is the genesis of BLM. 

It doesn't even need to be a conscious thing. It's the insidious racism contained in those facts that led to protests. 

Not just about one death, but hundreds. Over the decades, probably thousands. 

Edit: Maybe try to contest these facts rather than just looked confused @2015

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
29 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Statistics also show that when black people and white people come before US courts on identical charges, it's the black people who attract the heavier sentences. Statistics also show that black people resisting arrest are more likely to be shot by police than white people resisting arrest; and black people carrying weapons are more likely to be shot dead by police than white people carrying weapons.

It doesn't even need to be a conscious thing. It's the insidious racism contained in those facts that led to protests. 

If your figures are correct then that's a worrying thing, I would like to think the police are a lot less likely to be influenced by a persons colour in this country though I don't have any statistics on it.

7 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Every side in this division winning 0-1 away from home would be doing the same. Guarantee we will be doing the same at Swansea next week if we get the chance.

We lost the game because of our performance tonight, not the opposition. 

We are at home though, but I get your point.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Statistics also show the many more black people kill black people than white people do in America if you want to @ me and be confused by my comments. Pathetic.

I am sick and tired of this narrative that every country in the West is racist and people have been oppressed for the past 40-50 years. When will people realise Western civilization is the most forward thinking, liberal places ever right now in History. There will always be 'victims' and those who feel they are 'oppressed', they are not. Everyone is given a fair crack of the whip providing they work hard and get on with their lives. 
Statistics also would show you more Black people are in gangs in US and yeah that's probably down to where they live in the States, but I think the biggest issue is broken homes which have risen at a rapid rate with black families and the culture of the white guy is our enemy. We've moved on from that.

Sorry you had to @ me.

Edited by 2015
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Statistics also show the many more black people kill black people than white people do in America if you want to @ me and be confused by my comments. Pathetic.

I am sick and tired of this narrative that every country in the West is racist and people have been oppressed for the past 40-50 years. When will people realise Western civilization is the most forward thinking, liberal places ever right now in History. There will always be 'victims' and those who feel they are 'oppressed', they are not. Everyone is given a fair crack of the whip providing they work hard and get on with their lives. 
Statistics also would show you more Black people are in gangs in US and yeah that's probably down to where they live in the States, but I think the biggest issue is broken homes which have risen at a rapid rate with black families and the culture of the white guy is our enemy. We've moved on from that.

Sorry you had to @ me.

It's hard to have a reasoned debate on this subject without being branded racist if you don't toe the expected line, using the argument of hardship and poverty to explain more black people committing crime is an example, without going into detail I personally had a very poor start in life spending most of my childhood in foster homes and in the care of the local authority yet not once did I ever think that stealing somebody else's property or dealing drugs was the answer. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, 2015 said:

That's neither here or there. That's like saying "more white people kill white people". A total irrelevance. The fact you post it shows you are utterly clueless as to what the issue is.

The issue is people being killed by the police when the police are under no threat. Police, in case I need to remind you, are meant to be protecting people. If you are a black American you are at many times the risk of being killed by a cop in America than if you are white (although the stats of white Americans killed by cops are outrageous as well!) It can basically be proved that no matter how you behave, your life is in more danger from encounters with the law over there if you are darker skinned. The darker your skin, the greater the risk of being seriously injured or killed.

People want that to change. That's a reasonable enough request.

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

That may well be the case in the US but is there a statistic for the racial status of the people carrying out the violent crime and stabbings in our cities - I doubt very much that many of them are white British. racial prejudice is very wrong but BLM will end up meaning nothing if those ethnic communities don’t start to reign in their own thugs. In Bristol perhaps Easton and Barton hill would be nice places to live again!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dave36 said:

That may well be the case in the US but is there a statistic for the racial status of the people carrying out the violent crime and stabbings in our cities - I doubt very much that many of them are white British. racial prejudice is very wrong but BLM will end up meaning nothing if those ethnic communities don’t start to reign in their own thugs. In Bristol perhaps Easton and Barton hill would be nice places to live again!

Again, that's a different issue from what I was talking about which is why the BLM came about.

The BLM movement doesn't mean all black people are great and all whiteys are awful. It stands for equality.

(BTW was Barton Hill ever a nice place to live?)

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That's neither here or there. That's like saying "more white people kill white people". A total irrelevance. The fact you post it shows you are utterly clueless as to what the issue is.

The issue is people being killed by the police when the police are under no threat. Police, in case I need to remind you, are meant to be protecting people. If you are a black American you are at many times the risk of being killed by a cop in America than if you are white (although the stats of white Americans killed by cops are outrageous as well!) It can basically be proved that no matter how you behave, your life is in more danger from encounters with the law over there if you are darker skinned. The darker your skin, the greater the risk of being seriously injured or killed.

People want that to change. That's a reasonable enough request.

But that doesn't mean every footballer must take a knee before every football match does it? No one is saying that some cops aren't out of control and some are racist either.

There are many reasons why they are more likely to be shot. They are more likely to be involved in gangs and in criminal activity and largely it is down to culture and poor upbringing, i'm sorry that is the truth.

There is equality, very much so in the Western world, if you compare us to any time in History or most other civilisations in the World right now we are among the fairest places to live. Search Venezuela, search Syria, search Nigeria, search Brazil, search Honduras, search El Salvador, some seriously horrific places where no lives matter and where there is no justice.

All Black lives matter is is about division and antagonising racial hatred, in my opinion and I couldn't care if someone on OTIB would call me clueless, I just think you're blinkered by the mainstream media.

I thought this was the matchday thread. 

Why has it turned into a discussion about the US Police v the Black community?

🤭

15 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Bentley is a good gk but even in my sundaypub team with older men playing we dont act like what happened tonight.

Perhaps because unlike those relatively old codgers Bentley is a young whipper snapper and as such ones brain at times does silly things? 

🤨

28 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I thought this was the matchday thread. 

Why has it turned into a discussion about the US Police v the Black community?

🤭

Perhaps because unlike those relatively old codgers Bentley is a young whipper snapper and as such ones brain at times does silly things? 

🤨

Yes, maybe is it so. But find it rare that two players act like they dont know what to do.  Dont get me wrong, think Bentley is a very very good gk. Moore is getting better and better, like him.

10 hours ago, 2015 said:

But that doesn't mean every footballer must take a knee before every football match does it?

No, and personally I think it's been done and the point been made. Needless repetition just makes the symbol more of a tokenistic gesture.

So, I agree with you on that, although your last sentence just falls for far-right social media bollocks. 

• Haha 1
On 20/10/2020 at 21:47, handballbygordonparr said:

Did they come for a draw? - maybe in first 20 but after that it was obvious we were there for the taking. We would have been delighted with a draw from that performance. Certainly don't think they nicked it - we can't win without a shot on target

Bentley never had a save to make. 
Did they really create a chance?

That was the most obvious 0-0 going until Moore had a mare!

They came for 0-0. No strikers. Few goals scored this season. Colin was coming for a draw thats for certain!

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

People who claim we should have got a penalty maybe can explain to me why Saville did not get a free kick when Kalas tackled him by the touchline? I think the ref did very well with simulation (in other situations as well) 

Completely agree. That shoulder barge was great banter but 100% a foul.