IGNORED

Can we have a definitive available for selection date for Messrs. Williams & Walsh?

headhunter

59 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Spot on. And especially since we've sold Morrell, loaned Palmer for the season, and don't appear to trust either HNM or Nagy. 

Where does “trust” come into it, or other posters saying “obviously doesn’t rate”?

We need to accept there’s generally gonna be a pecking order of players, and we also know Holden picks his bench to cover different options, it’s not just the next 7 best players to a large extent.

It doesn’t mean he doesn’t trust or rate, it’s just he thinks other players are better.  He started the season with Massengo over Bakinson in CM....so he thought Massengo was the best bet then (Nagy away on international duty).  Bakinson has overtaken him....that’s football....and Massengo had a decent match against Exeter imho.

Nagy having missed the opening fixture (a bit like Morrell) and has been knocked down the pecking order as a result.

Both Nagy and Massengo are being professional, by training hard.  Both were doing drills on Saturday.  Both have travelled away too when they could stay at home.

It seems a happy camp.  I suspect both will be on the bench tomorrow.  Anything can happen then if they get their chance.

Even Dasilva has not been kitted up a couple of times.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

and we also know Holden picks his bench to cover different options

I guess it's how he sees things. If we were doing Football Manager, I'd try and pick a bench to cover possible injuries, so a spread of defence, midfield and forwards . What we don't know is if he goes into a game with a plan to change things, or even that there could be slight nocks or concerns due to shortened pre-season. 
I think we all expected JD to have minutes towards the end of a few games before a start, obviously DH sees that differently too. I've been surprised that HNM & Nagy haven't been on the bench as they are our MF cover, but the good start with AW & JP doing well may have altered that thinking as we had Brunt too.

Getting a little silly now, be nice if they just put something out to placate fans fevered imaginations.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Where does “trust” come into it, or other posters saying “obviously doesn’t rate”?

We need to accept there’s generally gonna be a pecking order of players, and we also know Holden picks his bench to cover different options, it’s not just the next 7 best players to a large extent.

It doesn’t mean he doesn’t trust or rate, it’s just he thinks other players are better.  He started the season with Massengo over Bakinson in CM....so he thought Massengo was the best bet then (Nagy away on international duty).  Bakinson has overtaken him....that’s football....and Massengo had a decent match against Exeter imho.

Nagy having missed the opening fixture (a bit like Morrell) and has been knocked down the pecking order as a result.

Both Nagy and Massengo are being professional, by training hard.  Both were doing drills on Saturday.  Both have travelled away too when they could stay at home.

It seems a happy camp.  I suspect both will be on the bench tomorrow.  Anything can happen then if they get their chance.

A very fair point, well made, Dave. ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

We have no evidence to suggest he doesn't rate or doesn't trust individual players yet IMO But he does have a clear idea on who he wants to play at the minute hence the generally unchanging team.

We need someone to miss a game, his replacement to have an excellent game, and then the regular starting line up to change in order to get more info on that. Or someone to come back from injury and go into the team straight away. Kalas could have been a clue, but Mawson got hurt so we had no choice.

Maybe Semenyo is the clue, and if he keeps his place over Wells after a decent performance on the weekend. Then we have the fitness issue where we're going to rotate players, so it's genuinely hard to get a great read on Holden's selection policy and if he has favourites yet. 

I think maybe people are starting to make the favourites argument over Paterson and Weimann... but maybe he just rates them over Nagy, Massengo and O'Dowda, but after signing Williams and saying Walsh is a big part of the way we want to play, I don't think we have enough info on that either. Paterson and Weimann could easily not be in Deans ideal team.

So there's a lack of evidence IMO to draw a conclusion into how Dean runs the team.

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

We have no evidence to suggest he doesn't rate or doesn't trust individual players yet IMO But he does have a clear idea on who he wants to play at the minute hence the generally unchanging team.

Yep, agree, and generally speaking it’s served him well.  Bit of drop off last two (and a bit?) games will be food gift thought you’d think.

We need someone to miss a game, his replacement to have an excellent game, and then the regular starting line up to change in order to get more info on that. Or someone to come back from injury and go into the team straight away. Kalas could have been a clue, but Mawson got hurt so we had no choice.

to some extent we had that with Massengo and Bakinson.

Maybe Semenyo is the clue, and if he keeps his place over Wells after a decent performance on the weekend. Then we have the fitness issue where we're going to rotate players, so it's genuinely hard to get a great read on Holden's selection policy and if he has favourites yet.

I’m intrigued who he will play up top on Wednesday.  Lots of options and questions.  Semenyo did enough to stay in....is Martin tired....can Semenyo play with Wells....is Wells boosted by his goal / penalty?  Yes, difficult to read at the mo’

I think maybe people are starting to make the favourites argument over Paterson and Weimann... but maybe he just rates them over Nagy, Massengo and O'Dowda, but after signing Williams and saying Walsh is a big part of the way we want to play, I don't think we have enough info on that either. Paterson and Weimann could easily not be in Deans ideal team.

yes, it’s a big unknown....especially when as you say Walsh and Williams appear to be big in his plans.

So there's a lack of evidence IMO to draw a conclusion into how Dean runs the team.

Yes, exactly that. Other comments above ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yes, exactly that. Other comments above ⬆️⬆️⬆️

I think the Bakinson and Massengo was a real real clear one. I don't even think Massengo's best position in this system is in that role. Maybe it's hindsight, but I really wonder why he even started with Massengo there over Bakinson. On traits alone the single holding role, it doesn't suit him.

I guess I'm waiting for more closer battles to make my mind up.

Maybe Rowe vs Dasilva, Semenyo vs Wells, Walsh vs Weimann vs Paterson will give us more insight.

14 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I think the Bakinson and Massengo was a real real clear one. I don't even think Massengo's best position in this system is in that role. Maybe it's hindsight, but I really wonder why he even started with Massengo there over Bakinson. On traits alone the single holding role, it doesn't suit him.

I guess I'm waiting for more closer battles to make my mind up.

Maybe Rowe vs Dasilva, Semenyo vs Wells, Walsh vs Weimann vs Paterson will give us more insight.

?????? 

9 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I meant to put Morrell and I can’t edit anymore.

Nobody needs to offer much to loan HNM, he’s not even getting in our team with all the current injuries as it is. 

10 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I meant to put Morrell and I can’t edit anymore.

Nobody needs to offer much to loan HNM, he’s not even getting in our team with all the current injuries as it is. 

We got two of them on Saturday.

According to Dean Holden we could be down to the bare 18 fit 1st team players.  I guess that means HNM and Nagy are having a day trip to Bournemouth. 

On 23/10/2020 at 18:23, Robbored said:

Both Walsh and Williams must surely be fully fit by now but obviously lack game time so I’d be very surprised if either of them start against the Jacks - bench for at least one of them I reckon.

May have been better if they had both broken a leg as we would probably have seen them in the starting 11 by now 

Archived