IGNORED

Alfie Mawson injury

phantom

• Admin

Seemed to lose a fraction as attacker went past him and was forced into over stretching to make a last ditch tackle. 

Didn't look great, wasn't he out following knee surgery at the start of the year?

Hopefully nothing long term. 

Ironic that Fulham fans mentioned him being injury prone 

Really thought before the window shut we should have brought another CB in even if it was a loan.

Mawson, Kalas and Baker are all injury prone and Vyner and Moore are not yet proven at this level. May force Dean to change his team and shape as a lot of games to play for only three fit Centre Backs.

4 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Really thought before the window shut we should have brought another CB in even if it was a loan.

Mawson, Kalas and Baker are all injury prone and Vyner and Moore are not yet proven at this level. May force Dean to change his team and shape as a lot of games to play for only three fit Centre Backs.

Thought the same but Holden has already come out previously and said that Bakinson and Rowe can slot in there. Far from ideal. 

The centre back thing is nothing but short sightedness from the club if Mawson is out long term. If it’s his knee then it’s even worse as it should have been reasonably expected.

A back three of Baker, Kalas, Mawson would be as good as it gets. 

Unfortunately we signed Mawson when Baker (another injury prone centre half) was ruled out until Xmas leaving us with Moore or Vyner, Kalas, Mawson - still not too shabby provided they all stay fit, a big ask considering that Kalas has had 2 big injuries in two seasons, so reasonable to expect he may pick up another one and Mawson has had two big knee injuries in the last 2 years. 

What happens next? Kalas gets an injury, thankfully he made a quick return and we were let off the hook by the international break giving him an extra 2 weeks recovery time. 

Vyner and Moore did well for a couple of games but they are young for defenders and need experience alongside them. Playing both in a back three at the same time is asking for trouble, but fear not as we now have Kalas back.

Ah. Mawsons now injured. Back to square one. Let’s hope Kalas stays fit as we now have NO replacements at all and that is a weak back three at best. Imagine if Kalas gets sent off and has to serve a suspension!

I will never understand why we signed an injury prone player to fit in a back three with two injury prone players. In my opinion this should have been anticipated. If it’s not as bad as feared then we’ve been let off the hook big time.

Walsh, Williams and Brunt in a CM three might shore us up a bit with the former two bringing some creativity and energy with Brunt breaking up the play.

8 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

We love signing expensive players on loan with bad injury records only for it to blow up in our face.

Velicka was another one from GJ’s era. Signed on loan from Rangers, did his ACL five minutes after coming on, cost the club £500k. 

15 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

We love signing expensive players on loan with bad injury records only for it to blow up in our face. 

How much money will we have wasted on Afobe and Mawson these two seasons if this is a bad injury? I think we’d shudder if we saw the % of our wage bill it represents.

Bit like when someone offers you a 60k beemer for 5k. You know its too good to be true so dont take the risk.

You would have thought the club would've learnt its lesson with Baker. To make the same mistake twice.........

17 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Bit like when someone offers you a 60k beemer for 5k. You know its too good to be true so dont take the risk.

You would have thought the club would've learnt its lesson with Baker. To make the same mistake twice.........

No. You absolutely do in our position.

The fact is that two years ago Mawson was in the England squad. He played 30 games for a promoted team last year. Without the doubts over fitness, he’s not in our range, either wages or overall quality. And with 30 games last year, he’s worth the risk.

Its the same as Benik. It was the ACL on his other leg he injured! We have no guarantees if our long term it’s a new or pre-existing injury

We’re not a club who can sign the top players, at top fitness, on top wages. So, you go for players either below the top level, or those who are top level but for some reason become available and balance the risk of the overall squad.

Alfie May only be out for a short term. He may be out for a long term. But I’d stand behind it being a risk worth taking and I’m sick of this ****ing over simplification and hindsight.

9 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Mawson has been our best player this season and looked to twist his knee in a way that could happen to anyone. He’s been a great signing and it’s a terrible shame. Hopefully he can come back stronger and fulfil his potential

Chris Martin for me. Not his night tonight, but it was all wrong tonight

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The fact is that two years ago Mawson was in the England squad. He played 30 games for a promoted team last year. Without the doubts over fitness, he’s not in our range, either wages or overall quality. And with 30 games last year, he’s worth the risk.

Its the same as Benik. It was the ACL on his other leg he injured! We have no guarantees if our long term it’s a new or pre-existing injury

We’re not a club who can sign the top players, at top fitness, on top wages. So, you go for players either below the top level, or those who are top level but for some reason become available and balance the risk of the overall squad.

Alfie May only be out for a short term. He may be out for a long term. But I’d stand behind it being a risk worth taking and I’m sick of this ****ing over simplification and hindsight.

I’m with you on this. Players of this ilk with no history of injuries are out of our reach. If we ever want to achieve something special then we will need to take a few gambles, unfortunately so far they don’t seem to be paying off. 
We just need a bit of luck and suddenly it’s a stroke of genius, and opposing fans will wonder why they didn’t sign such a player. 
Having said that, three injury prone CBs may be pushing it. 

1 hour ago, tin said:

He ruptured his ACL twice before, and it didn’t look good for his knee tonight. 

Not sure he’s done his ACL twice....I thought he’d had knee surgery twice on the same knee, but not ACL.  Happy to be corrected.

Dean said post-match that Alfie didn’t want the stretcher so we will have to wait and see.

28 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Fair enough Silvio. My post was somewhat ill-disciplined in terms of facts. 30 games is indeed a good knock.

With all facts in the clubs hands though, what indeed is the percentage of risk involved, that is the ?

I seem to recall a lot of concerns about Adam Webster being injury prone and that turned out to be a highly successful move for the club.

When players of Mawson’s quality become available, they’re worth the gamble.

Mawson was a perfect signing for us and has fit into the system very well. Though, with the intention to play 3 at the back, I always felt another centre back was needed.

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure he’s done his ACL twice....I thought he’d had knee surgery twice on the same knee, but not ACL.  Happy to be corrected.

Dean said post-match that Alfie didn’t want the stretcher so we will have to wait and see.

Here's his injury data: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alfie-mawson/verletzungen/spieler/287431

Archived