IGNORED

Alfie Mawson injury

phantom

2 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

I think the reason we probably got him was due to being injury prone. My Fulham supporting work mate said he had glass knees. Let's hope he was wrong.

100% this. Footballs a funny game and we hoped he wouldn’t get injured, but he has. Onto the next game.

In Taylor Moore we believe. let not one mistake define a player please. COYR ??

7 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

will never understand why we signed an injury prone player

Mawson is an exceptional talent who was a 20,000,000 £ player and close to an England call up .

Under normal circumstances we couldn’t even dream about having him at the club . We took a calculated risk by signing him which may or may not pay off. 

I wish AM a speedy recovery.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure he’s done his ACL twice....I thought he’d had knee surgery twice on the same knee, but not ACL.  Happy to be corrected.

Dean said post-match that Alfie didn’t want the stretcher so we will have to wait and see.

You old pedant, @Davefevs. Mawson missed five months after going under the knife the first time, and four months after the second knee surgery which was apparently sustained putting on his boots! Either way, signing him and expecting him to play most games was high risk, IMO, especially after having our fingers burnt with Afobe so recently. Let's hope it's not as bad as it looked.

7 hours ago, Im_over_ere said:

Anyone think that we may try to sign Ashley Williams again if the injury to AM is a long term injury? ?

Probably not, Holden said he was looking to take his career in another direction (probably media) & as he is Cheshire based, if he plays on would look for a club much closer to home.

Worth pointing out though that last season he played 32/41 after signing & was suspended for 5 of them, an availability record that Kalas, Mawson or Baker cannot match.

Only likely free agent CB I can see out there is Ryan Shotton, not the greatest but maybe worth a phone call?

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Probably not, Holden said he was looking to take his career in another direction (probably media) & as he is Cheshire based, if he plays on would look for a club much closer to home.

Worth pointing out though that last season he played 32/41 after signing & was suspended for 5 of them, an availability record that Kalas, Mawson or Baker cannot match.

Only likely free agent CB I can see out there is Ryan Shotton, not the greatest but maybe worth a phone call?

With Shotton it would depend on his personal circumstances. Would he be prepared to take a short termer down here and stay in hotel accommodation away from his family?

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Mawson is an exceptional talent who was a 20,000,000 £ player and close to an England call up .

Under normal circumstances we couldn’t even dream about having him at the club . We took a calculated risk by signing him which may or may not pay off. 

I wish AM a speedy recovery.

Lets see what happens first before we judge BUT if this does turn out to be a long term injury and having suffered the same thing with Afobe last season do we, as a club, and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight have to stop taking expensive gambles that are clearly not paying off?

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

With Shotton it would depend on his personal circumstances. Would he be prepared to take a short termer down here and stay in hotel accommodation away from his family?

Doesn’t have a job at present, does he?

I have no idea if we would even be interested, but looking at those still without clubs he is the only one I could see who has decent experience, is a good age & no injury history.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Doesn’t have a job at present, does he?

I have no idea if we would even be interested, but looking at those still without clubs he is the only one I could see who has decent experience, is a good age & no injury history.

..............and can throw the ball 55 yards!!

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Lets see what happens first before we judge BUT if this does turn out to be a long term injury and having suffered the same thing with Afobe last season do we, as a club, and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight have to stop taking expensive gambles that are clearly not paying off?

The arguments for and against signing him both have merit imo. but a bit of luck is required for this sort of move to work out.

In general players are not more likely to be injury prone while with us just because they've had bad injuries before. Sometimes, as in Webster's case - they can prove their fitness over a season and put that 'injury prone' tag behind them.

Then it turns out to be a fantastic & profitable move for all parties.

Unfortunately City seem to be really unfortunate over the years with new signings, both permanent & loan, and earlier career injuries or not, getting severe injuries.

It might just be that, though I'm assuming Mawson would have had a strict medical, with particularly strenuous attention given to previous problem areas and had a pass mark high enough to give confidence that previous injuries were very unlikely to reoccur- if not he certainly should have done!

22 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yep.........if u define 10 weeks, as a few?

Not ideal I agree but it is what it is so let's wait until we know the extent of the injury before we write him off. Lots of would be Doctors & Undertakers on here sometimes.

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

I don't know if I have missed it, but I can'r even recall any mention of why he came off?

No details of what he injured?

They tend not to give that info too quickly any more. I looked at the incident again to try and see what he does, hard to tell. 
Plus side he doesn't look in agony , which if it was ligament, tendon etc he probably would be. Maybe a twist? Then it might not be too long with luck , all speculation though. They would wait for any swelling to go down then scan. Probably hear something early next week.

Afobe's injury took a few days to be confirmed last season, despite it being pretty much common knowledge. Think it was also confirmed from the Stoke end.

My guess is because he's not our player, Fulham would need to get their doctors/team etc to check it out, and they are waiting for results, scans etc to come back first.

Happened on Tuesday night, would guess he would have gone back to London yesterday at some point, 24-48 hours turnaround would be tomorrow, so we may get some news then maybe.

I'd be amazed if he was seen again before Christmas, and that's if it's not as bad as it first looked. The pessimist in me says the curse of the loan player has struck again.

40 minutes ago, Taz said:

Afobe's injury took a few days to be confirmed last season, despite it being pretty much common knowledge. Think it was also confirmed from the Stoke end.

My guess is because he's not our player, Fulham would need to get their doctors/team etc to check it out, and they are waiting for results, scans etc to come back first.

Happened on Tuesday night, would guess he would have gone back to London yesterday at some point, 24-48 hours turnaround would be tomorrow, so we may get some news then maybe.

I'd be amazed if he was seen again before Christmas, and that's if it's not as bad as it first looked. The pessimist in me says the curse of the loan player has struck again.

Is that really how it works? I thought seeing as we have him on loan, his medical requirements are solely our responsibility

Archived