IGNORED

Alfie Mawson injury

phantom

1 hour ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Is that really how it works? I thought seeing as we have him on loan, his medical requirements are solely our responsibility

Pretty sure the parent club have a say on what rehab/where it happens. Bit of a thigh strain they're unlikely to be that fussed, but if it's a recurrence of a previous big injury, then at the end of the day he is their asset. 

We've had players out on loan who have been injured, and have returned to us for rehab.

Happy to be corrected on all of this though.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Didn’t Afobe return to Stoke for rehab?

Parts of it at least, but sure he did some here as well.

1 minute ago, SuperRed said:

Mawson’s absence leaves us short of height and I worry how we will cope against big physical teams like Cardiff and Millwall. 

Does it? Vyner is pretty tall and so are Kalas and Baker. Even Taylor Moore has had a growth spurt in the last couple of years - I don't think height is the issue necessarily. 

I think Mawson's absense will mainly impact how assured and confident our defence feels. When Webster was in top form, he raised the game of the other defenders through being comfortable to receive and distribute the ball under pressure. Mawson has similar attributes and no doubt made the other defenders who are less experienced and/or comfortable on the ball feel more at ease. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Does it? Vyner is pretty tall and so are Kalas and Baker. Even Taylor Moore has had a growth spurt in the last couple of years - I don't think height is the issue necessarily. 

I think Mawson's absense will mainly impact how assured and confident our defence feels. When Webster was in top form, he raised the game of the other defenders through being comfortable to receive and distribute the ball under pressure. Mawson has similar attributes and no doubt made the other defenders who are less experienced and/or comfortable on the ball feel more at ease. 

I don’t disagree with your point about Mawson’s absence affecting the confidence of the defence but I think lack of height and aggressive defending will be an issue for us. I wouldn’t say any of Vyner, Moore and Kalas are aggressive first ball winners in the air. Moore is the tallest and, whilst his aggression has improved, it has been a criticism of him in the past. Vyner and Kalas both look about 6ft to me and appear more suited to sweeping up behind a dominant partner. We also don’t have Diedhou starting so have lost his ability at attacking the ball when defending concerns. 

1 minute ago, SuperRed said:

I don’t disagree with your point about Mawson’s absence affecting the confidence of the defence but I think lack of height and aggressive defending will be an issue for us. I wouldn’t say any of Vyner, Moore and Kalas are aggressive first ball winners in the air. Moore is the tallest and, whilst his aggression has improved, it has been a criticism of him in the past. Vyner and Kalas both look about 6ft to me and appear more suited to sweeping up behind a dominant partner. We also don’t have Diedhou starting so have lost his ability at attacking the ball when defending concerns. 

Yes I definitely agree about the aggression point. I would worry about Moore and Vyner being assertive enough in defence. 

13 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

If you watch us at defensive corners this season, bar Vyner switching off at Barnsley we have defended them very well.  Chris Martin has done a good job as the man to attack the ball to the near post.  I can only think of one other switch off and that was Wednesday (h) when Lees got a run to the bear post and headed straight at Bents.

52 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Perhaps Diedhiou in defence could be a stopgap?

On 22/10/2020 at 16:38, Taz said:

The pessimist in me says the curse of the loan player has struck again.

Aka the curse of Irene's dirty knickers.

The list of crocks grows ever longer.

I'm sure someone can put together a team of our crocked loanees.

I reckon we've probably had enough to cover every position.

13 minutes ago, pillred said:

Perhaps Diedhiou in defence could be a stopgap?

Just because he heads a ball out from a corner doesn't mean he's a defender! Completely different ball game.

And could Mawson be this year's Afobe? Excellent for 5-6 games then injured and we struggle the rest of the season. Let's hope not.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Loved to be proved wrong, but be very surprised if he plays for us again before the January transfer window is open.

If Baker is back by then we can review but we do look one short otherwise.

Sadly have to agree with this. There is no guarantee that Baker will be back either.

Given his poor injury record at Fulham, we may have to go into the loan market again in January.

The biggest problem for me is that Moore will now be played as the left sided defender and that will unbalance things, to lose two left sided defenders is really bad news, and with the manager intent on playing three at the back we are one injury or suspension away from having to field a makeshift defence.

Archived