IGNORED

Alfie Mawson injury

phantom

What is the problem with Alfie?  At Holden's press conference, our resident journo Gregor asked "Has Alfie had the exploratory op yet?"  "Yes" says DH   "Do we know when he will be back?" spake mighty Gregor "No we don't know how long" says DH.   So then Gregor asks ""Do you now know exactly what the problem is then?"   "Yes" says DH.   End Of!!   So WHAT is the Pheckin injury?  ..............Why didn't Gregor ask?   And why didn't DH expand on exactly what injury Alfie has ?  Is it too much to ask, and to be told what injury he has sustained?  Why all the secrecy?   Ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, maxjak said:

What is the problem with Alfie?  At Holden's press conference, our resident journo Gregor asked "Has Alfie had the exploratory op yet?"  "Yes" says DH   "Do we know when he will be back?" spake mighty Gregor "No we don't know how long" says DH.   So then Gregor asks ""Do you now know exactly what the problem is then?"   "Yes" says DH.   End Of!!   So WHAT is the Pheckin injury?  ..............Why didn't Gregor ask?   And why didn't DH expand on exactly what injury Alfie has ?  Is it too much to ask, and to be told what injury he has sustained?  Why all the secrecy?   Ridiculous.

He is Fulham’s player at the end of the day.

He will have any post operation treatment there.

I think we probably have a very good indication of how long he will be out & our interest in free agent defenders won’t be unconnected to that.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

He is Fulham’s player at the end of the day.

He will have any post operation treatment there.

I think we probably have a very good indication of how long he will be out & our interest in free agent defenders won’t be unconnected to that.

Even so.......if they know exactly what injury he has sustained..........why not say?..........as the old cliche goes....."It's not rocket science"?

27 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I guess Dean doesn't want to give specific details out to the media as it gives opposition teams weeks/months away tactical knowledge that helps their plans and thats an advantage we don't want to give. At this stage it keeps the opposition guessing when we might have our best defender back and therefore makes their planning a little bit more tricky. Every little tactical advantage helps - and we need lots of help at the moment.

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

I guess Dean doesn't want to give specific details out to the media as it gives opposition teams weeks/months away tactical knowledge that helps their plans and thats an advantage we don't want to give. At this stage it keeps the opposition guessing when we might have our best defender back and therefore makes their planning a little bit more tricky. Every little tactical advantage helps - and we need lots of help at the moment.

Mmmmmm!  Sounds a bit excessively James Bond to me?  Us knowing what injury he has sustained is not gonna change the promotion and relegation in this league.  IMHO it is unnecessarily secretive ??

20 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Even so.......if they know exactly what injury he has sustained..........why not say?..........as the old cliche goes....."It's not rocket science"?

What if for whatever reason Mawson himself doesn’t want details of the injury publicised

What If his career is in the balance ?

Has he no right to confidentiality because he’s a footballer ?

21 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I suspect it’s because he’s Fulham’s player, and sensitivity to Alfie due to his previous injuries.  What if it’s his career over....not Holden’s place to tell the world is it.

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

What if for whatever reason Mawson himself doesn’t want details of the injury publicised

What If his career is in the balance ?

Has he no right to confidentiality because he’s a footballer ?

Haha, great minds.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect it’s because he’s Fulham’s player, and sensitivity to Alfie due to his previous injuries.  What if it’s his career over....not Holden’s place to tell the world is it.

Haha, great minds.

You are both, of course absolutely right.  How stupid am I, not to consider all the angles?  I sincerely hope Alfie is ok, and recovers quickly.

Gregor reporting today that Mawson could be back next month which is great news as I expected him to be out for the season. If we can get Baker and Mawson both fit for the second half of the season this would help our chances massively.

“Nathan Baker is expected back towards the end of December, which is only next month, while there is still no timescale on Alfie Mawson coming back into the first team. However, Bristol Live understands that Mawson could be back at Ashton Gate next month too and even playing again then if all goes well.“

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's excellent news and would be a real unexpected bonus!

Key thing is let's not rush him back unduly- we were often prone to this under LJ and that could extend the injury, exacerbate it- make sure it's the right time not the quickest time.

Wouldn’t Fulham have  big say in when he can return?

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Wouldn’t Fulham have  bog say in when he can return?

Might well do- they definitely wouldn't want it extended, exacerbated through returning too soon- would with Sessegnon too though he's got no estimated return date from his injury? I'd have thought Fulham would err on the side of caution.

21 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Wouldn’t Fulham have  bog say in when he can return?

Depends on how serious the injury was, it clearly wasn’t his ACL that he did, so looks like it’s probably his cartilage which is a very simple procedure nowadays  (especially compared to an ACL) but as he’s under contract with us, I would say it’s our decision. 
If Fulham aren’t happy then they would be well within their rights to let City know so but I’m not sure how much they could do about it. But it obviously wouldn’t do City any favours in the long run to upset another club as it could prove detrimental in the future as not only Fulham but other clubs may not trust us with their players.

Would be fantastic if true, potentially season defining.

If we can get to January in good position, Mawson and Baker returning will be like two new key signings.

As has been said though, I'll remain cautiously optimistic, expect the recovery from surgery is likely to be pushed back rather than forward. 

23 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Mawsons potential early return 

Didn’t he say he knew nothing but that just because it was a knee injury it wasn’t necessarily as bad as an ACL, and could just be a tidy-up?  I don’t think he implied he knew anything???

• Admin
2 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

“Nathan Baker is expected back towards the end of December, which is only next month, while there is still no timescale on Alfie Mawson coming back into the first team. However, Bristol Live understands that Mawson could be back at Ashton Gate next month too and even playing again then if all goes well.“

Am I reading this differently to everyone else?

Stated that he is back at Ashton Gate, not that he will be fit to play, especially the final sentence "and even playing again if all goes well"

To me that reads he will potentially be back for training and then to see if he is likely to be fit enough to play again this year

I'm going for January at the earliest to be back in the squad

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Stated that he is back at Ashton Gate, not that he will be fit to play, especially the final sentence "and even playing again if all goes well"

To me that reads he will potentially be back for training and then to see if he is likely to be fit enough to play again this year

Yep, from that I would guess he's back for either mine rehab or to Start building fitness. I would expect a couple of weeks to get fit before he can think about playing.

19 minutes ago, phantom said:

Despite what Gregor says even this seems to be optimistic. Plus add in his injury history & that suggests we will be ultra cautious with any return.

Just like his comments re Baker, the latest was Nathan could be back by December, not that he would be fit to feature in games by then.

We play 9 league games in the 28 days after the international break, for the Cardiff game we had just 14 outfield players available who had ever featured in a league game.

This is why we are exploring the free agent market with the likes of Mariappa as we simply don’t have enough players to get us through this period.

Archived