IGNORED

Adrian Mariappa - SIGNING CONFIRMED

ollywhyte

Should Mawson be out for a significant period of time, will we be looking to the free transfer list to bolster our defensive options? Especially if we are going to continue with 3 CBs?

Mariappa is currently a free transfer, a few years younger than Ashley Williams and has played over 20 games a season for Watford in the Premier League over the past 3 or 4 years IIRC

A contract until January would seem a sensible move with option to extend beyond that?

Would rather play Kalas/Vyner/Moore with a 23's player filling in on the bench tbh, we shouldn't be increasing the wage bill at the moment. You say only till January but it'll take him a good few weeks to even be game ready so we're into the international break so he could be useful for what 6-8 weeks?

If Mawson is out long term we have a choice of 3 from 3 ! One of them  suffers injury, loss form, suspension, problems. Not sure any U23’s ready to step up ?  From being really blessed  with central defenders things not so rosy now. 

Would not be surprised at all to see a free agent arrive. Ashley Williams anyone ?

8 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

If Mawson is out long term we have a choice of 3 from 3 ! One of them  suffers injury, loss form, suspension, problems. Not sure any U23’s ready to step up ?  From being really blessed  with central defenders things not so rosy now. 

Would not be surprised at all to see a free agent arrive. Ashley Williams anyone ?

Yes please.

Looking into his background a bit more it seems his agent was trying to get him a deal with Reading on deadline day, so clearly is keen on playing at our level & when you see the clubs he had played for, in the South, too.

#BristolCity are weighing up a move for free agent Adrian Mariappa. He is one of several defenders the club has held initial talks with. No final decision has been made yet on whether they recruit another defender however. More on @bristolcitylive shortly. #WatfordFC

From Gregor^

Would be happy with this. He’s apparently playing for Jamaica over the international break so his fitness must be fairly good. 

would help us shore things up until Mawson and Baker are back. I’d feel much more confident with another defender in the group, and to get a player with his experience on a free seems a great option. Would his wage demands be too high??

23 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Would be happy with this. He’s apparently playing for Jamaica over the international break so his fitness must be fairly good. 

would help us shore things up until Mawson and Baker are back. I’d feel much more confident with another defender in the group, and to get a player with his experience on a free seems a great option. Would his wage demands be too high??

I know it`s said often but he`s earning nowt at the moment.

45 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Agreed.

As yet we have no idea how long AM is out for and given NB’s history there is always the chance he will get another injury. Depends a lot on salary I suspect, however, his experience would add to the overall strength of the squad and if a deal can be struck that suits all parties, let’s do it.  

2 hours ago, Bobbie said:

He’s withdrawn from the Jamaica squad over the weekend, a journalist in Jamaica called Simon Preston said it was in order to tie up a contract with his next club.

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Surprised it took that long for them to "report" on it, seeing as this thread has been going since 20th October....

They’re two entirely different things aren’t they. This thread was started by a fan who pointed out Mariappa was a free agent and suggested he would be an option for us. I’m sure you would have been impressed if the Post has reported that as “news”. The story that the club is actually considering it IS news.

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

They’re two entirely different things aren’t they. This thread was started by a fan who pointed out Mariappa was a free agent and suggested he would be an option for us. I’m sure you would have been impressed if the Post has reported that as “news”. The story that the club is actually considering it IS news.

The original point was that it's not unusual to see a story that we are "looking at player xyz" after a "rumour" was started on here.

Perfect example was a player that someone made up a few years ago. Low and behold, The Post issued a story on it...

Fact is, without sounding like someone else on this board, unless the club confirms it, we're never going to know if we were thinking about it or not.

We are bare bones and the fact the post started on the 20th October and some 3 weeks later we still haven’t brought anyone in is the big talking point.  I get wait for Baker/Mawson but we are a suspension/COVID/another injury away from being threadbare at back.  Imagine a back 2 of Moore/Rowe it could happen.  It’s now Nov, so not paying a full year salary for someone, so please get Mariappa or Shotton now.

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Appreciate I’m probably in a minority but these signings depress me somewhat. Same as Ashley Williams and Chris Brunt when they signed.  Short-term-ism is not the answer I would suggest.  

So what do we do, exactly?

Imagine Kalas gets injured on international duty, we then face 9 games in 28 days with Vyner & Moore as a pairing with absolutely no cover.

Despite the optimistic noises about Mawson I see him featuring for us again as a bonus, Baker, even if he returns to training next month, will still be a minimum of 3 weeks off & we have said nothing about Sessegnon.

Despite what some might think if he really does have 3 clubs interested, Mariappa holds the cards, so I would not be surprised at all if we have offered him a 2 year deal.

Appreciate I’m probably in a minority but these signings depress me somewhat. Same as Ashley Williams and Chris Brunt when they signed.  Short-term-ism is not the answer I would suggest.  

I get that too Dave. But I see the common sense on this and Williams, Brunt I’m still struggling with. 

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Imagine Kalas gets injured on international duty, we then face 9 games in 28 days with Vyner & Moore as a pairing with absolutely no cover.

Despite the optimistic noises about Mawson I see him featuring for us again as a bonus, Baker, even if he returns to training next month, will still be a minimum of 3 weeks off & we have said nothing about Sessegnon.

Despite what some might think if he really does have 3 clubs interested, Mariappa holds the cards, so I would not be surprised at all if we have offered him a 2 year deal.

Plus he’s already got Prem experience which will help us next season.

:yes:

46 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So we have a 4 week problem and the resolution is a 2 year deal.  Two fingers up to Moore, Vyner and all the kids.  

If we hadn’t signed Williams and played Moore or Vyner then they’d both be even better now.  Repeating the same mistake. 

If we sign Mariappa we have to get promoted or else we have just helped ourselves short term to hurt ourselves long term.  

Appreciate there will be plenty of people who disagree with me. It’s a different philosophy that’s all.  

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I get that too Dave. But I see the common sense on this and Williams, Brunt I’m still struggling with. 

I would say to cover a 4-6 week problem the common sense would be to sign someone until January.  If there isn’t anyone good enough who will sign for that short a time then work a way around it.  It’s not as if there are zero options and we will either have to play with 10 men or have Diedhiou at centre back.  

Short-term-ism is not the answer I would suggest.  

The alternative would be to throw in a youngster like Towler, who is probably nowhere near ready and risk a) Crushing his confidence and b) making costly errors .

I would prefer youngsters getting game time but we need to be realistic about their ability to play at this level twice a week. 

Vyner had loans before being introduced into the first team and many question the lad’s suitability ! 

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I would say to cover a 4-6 week problem the common sense would be to sign someone until January.  If there isn’t anyone good enough who will sign for that short a time then work a way around it.  It’s not as if there are zero options and we will either have to play with 10 men or have Diedhiou at centre back.  

Worth considering too that this gives us the option to rotate and rest Hunt too as Vyner can play RB / RWB.

In all of this it would help if we were party to the degree of Mawson’s injury and Baker’s progress from his.

As it stands we are all speculating on lots of unknown info.

I don’t have a problem with Mariappa per se, but I can see why you do.  

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

So we have a 4 week problem and the resolution is a 2 year deal.  Two fingers up to Moore, Vyner and all the kids.  

If we hadn’t signed Williams and played Moore or Vyner then they’d both be even better now.  Repeating the same mistake. 

If we sign Mariappa we have to get promoted or else we have just helped ourselves short term to hurt ourselves long term.  

Appreciate there will be plenty of people who disagree with me. It’s a different philosophy that’s all.  

Respect your view but it isn’t a “4 week problem”.

So far Vyner has played every single minute & Moore started the first 9, they aren’t exactly struggling to get an opportunity.

Only my view but I am very doubtful about the positivity around Mawson. If he doesn’t return then we are at least a man short.

Mariappa can play RB too, so if Sessegnon also remains unavailable this is cover there, too.

Williams was an excellent short term signing, Vyner wasn’t available to us when he signed anyway, as he was on loan at Aberdeen by then & got injured.

Moore going on loan to Blackpool was truly bonkers but was all down to LJ (or Ashton) wanting to bring Benkovic in, so nothing at all to do with Williams.

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Respect your view but it isn’t a “4 week problem”.

So far Vyner has played every single minute & Moore started the first 9, they aren’t exactly struggling to get an opportunity.

Only my view but I am very doubtful about the positivity around Mawson. If he doesn’t return then we are at least a man short.

Mariappa can play RB too, so if Sessegnon also remains unavailable this is cover there, too.

Williams was an excellent short term signing, Vyner wasn’t available to us when he signed anyway, as he was on loan at Aberdeen by then & got injured.

Moore going on loan to Blackpool was truly bonkers but was all down to LJ (or Ashton) wanting to bring Benkovic in, so nothing at all to do with Williams.

Time will tell I guess.  If Moore and Vyner continue to get good amount of games then great. 

You call Williams an excellent short term signing but ultimately what did it achieve? It stopped game time for other younger players.  Maybe we finished 8th instead of 12th but it’s cost us longer term

If Mariappa gets us to the play offs then brilliant signing. If he doesn’t it could well be another poor signing of a mid 30s player.  

I would almost always look long term though. 

Archived