IGNORED

Adrian Mariappa - SIGNING CONFIRMED

ollywhyte

A back line containing Baker, Kalas and Mariappa (assuming Alfie Mawson is a long term injury) doesn't sound bad to me although it could be a tad harsh on Moore and particularly Vyner. I guess Vyner could revert to RB although Mariappa has played there a fair bit too according to a couple of Watford fans I know. They were sad to see him go which doesn't sound too alarming.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

We don’t have to play 3 centre backs. Play two and have one back up.  

And one injury or suspension and we’re screwed . We need another centre half , simple as that. one with prem experience , even better. It’s a condensed season and it been proven that injuries are up massively on other seasons. It makes sense imo 

• The title was changed to Adrian Mariappa - SIGNING CONFIRMED
25 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

A back line containing Baker, Kalas and Mariappa (assuming Alfie Mawson is a long term injury) doesn't sound bad to me although it could be a tad harsh on Moore and particularly Vyner. I guess Vyner could revert to RB although Mariappa has played there a fair bit too according to a couple of Watford fans I know. They were sad to see him go which doesn't sound too alarming.

I think Baker will see chances limited, high wages for a player so injured. I expect him to be behind Mariappa, Kalas and even Vyner and Moore who I think are better in a back 3 and will be here next season.

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

I think Baker will see chances limited, high wages for a player so injured. I expect him to be behind Mariappa, Kalas and even Vyner and Moore who I think are better in a back 3 and will be here next season.

A fit Baker will certainly not be behind Moore & Vyner!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Then we come onto Mariappa’s demands.  He knows he’s in demand and can drive a hard bargain.  In Williams’s case it is rumoured that he had a low basic wage but large appearance fee.  He also had a clause that said if he made x appearances his 6 month deal would be automatically extended to the end of the season.  That is the kind of deal I would like for Mariappa, but beggars can’t be choosers.

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Baker wouldn’t be behind Moore & vyner imo. Taylor has slipped down the pecking order after the horror show v Norwich 

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

And one injury or suspension and we’re screwed . We need another centre half , simple as that. one with prem experience , even better. It’s a condensed season and it been proven that injuries are up massively on other seasons. It makes sense imo 

Well he has only signed until January so I am fine with it now anyway!  He comes with my blessing which I am sure is very important to him! 

On 20/10/2020 at 23:56, ollywhyte said:

Should Mawson be out for a significant period of time, will we be looking to the free transfer list to bolster our defensive options? Especially if we are going to continue with 3 CBs?

Mariappa is currently a free transfer, a few years younger than Ashley Williams and has played over 20 games a season for Watford in the Premier League over the past 3 or 4 years IIRC

A contract until January would seem a sensible move with option to extend beyond that?

No worries Deano.

Do I get any commission?

18 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Until January? 11 games.

I wonder if this is a commitment to going back to 3-5-2 or he just comes in for Vyner in a 4.

We'll see I guess!

We have to be aware we’re extremely short at right back or RWB, we have Hunt and currently nobody else with the loss of Sessegnon. Vyner could cover but then leaves us short at centre back. Talk of Mawson potentially being back next month is encouraging.

We have eleven games between 31 November and 31 December. Many coaches have spoken of the likelihood of increase of injuries 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Why  do you think signing an experienced CB creates a problem?      :dunno:

Surely with both Mawson and Baker out injured cover is needed in central defence?

I think we have to be careful to not rule out EVERY experienced player just because we have had a few bad experiences with some in the past. Don’t get me wrong we seem to have had our fair share of journeyman wasters that have come in over the year’s but equally we have had some really good experienced pro’s that have done well for us.
With all due respect to Vyner and Moore they aren’t IMO the answer to promotion at this level - they will almost certainly need help over the course of the season.. As we have seen already this season lose Kalas and we then look extremely vulnerable in central defence.

As with any signing i will reserve proper judgement until they have played but certainly on paper  Mariappa is  exactly what we need right now.

Archived