IGNORED

Adrian Mariappa - SIGNING CONFIRMED

ollywhyte

36 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

My post was a few weeks ago, would have to question how far off match fitness is he? Could well be a few weeks off at the moment and we were told Baker could be back in December, sure I saw something online saying Mawson could be back in January. We now would have 6 CB's available.

We have to trust the people who have made the signing can see the benefit of signing for the team. 

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Albert was in fact John Quigley

Albert Quigley was signed by Man U in the aftermath of the Munich plane crash.

I believe Stan Crowther was also signed. Both had already played for their clubs, Wednesday and Villa, so received special dispensation from the FA to play in the FA Cup for Manchester.

26 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Albert Quigley was signed by Man U in the aftermath of the Munich plane crash.

I believe Stan Crowther was also signed. Both had already played for their clubs, Wednesday and Villa, so received special dispensation from the FA to play in the FA Cup for Manchester.

That was Albert Quixhall.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

My post was a few weeks ago, would have to question how far off match fitness is he? Could well be a few weeks off at the moment and we were told Baker could be back in December, sure I saw something online saying Mawson could be back in January. We now would have 6 CB's available.

He was originally named in the Jamaica squad so you'd have to assume he has some level of fitness at least.

I'd hope that if it was going to take him a month or so to get up to speed then we wouldn't have bothered if Baker and/or Mawson are due back any time soon.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. Is anyone concerned that this new signing is actually less than 5'11" ? We seem to have made great strides recently in increasing the size and Physicality of squad members, only it would seem to bring in what in center back terms is rather short. Perhaps he's got a great leap or reads the game well, but recently we came up against one of the championship teams that rely heavily on size and we barely coped. There are other teams who will have the same ethos and target us with there route one football and reliance on the "big Man". 

I expect references to short center backs now, but, a good big un, is preferred to a good little un, in my eyes. Is this  a good move in terms of his size?

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. Is anyone concerned that this new signing is actually less than 5'11" ? We seem to have made great strides recently in increasing the size and Physicality of squad members, only it would seem to bring in what in center back terms is rather short. Perhaps he's got a great leap or reads the game well, but recently we came up against one of the championship teams that rely heavily on size and we barely coped. There are other teams who will have the same ethos and target us with there route one football and reliance on the "big Man". 

I expect references to short center backs now, but, a good big un, is preferred to a good little un, in my eyes. Is this  a good move in terms of his size?

He’s got nearly 200 games in the prem behind him . I think that tells everything it needs to 

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Do people think 23 year old centre backs can't improve?

I am still very optimistic about Moore and Vyner's future and what they can become.

Vyner has surprised me so far this season. Very impressed

2nd that re Vyner, been impressed too.

Can’t help to add some more experience with all the games coming up & so close together though.

Also could be a sign Mawson is too far from playing anytime soon and Holden is committed to 3 at the back.

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am still very optimistic about Moore and Vyner's future and what they can become.

I think this whole season will be a learning curve for them. If they're both established Championship CBs at 25 then they're having a very promising career.

6 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Jesus I’m not complaining about how we are doing it’s been great I’m just saying Moore and vyner aren’t top 6 standard 

I’ve just finished a zoom call with Bristol City Psychologist Damian Hodge about resilience in sport. Ironically Zac Vyner was talking about proving people wrong and how he was never the top player in his age groups growing up but look at him now compared to everyone else. 

You say he isn’t good enough for top six yet he’s played every minute for a top six side this season. And even if you don’t think he is good enough that only means you don’t think he is good enough today. He will continue to improve the same way he was improved continually up until now.  I’ve learned tonight that he doesn’t seem to lack on the mental side. 

1 minute ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Jesus I’m not complaining about how we are doing it’s been great I’m just saying Moore and vyner aren’t top 6 standard 

Ok - I had similar conversations about both Bryan and more specifically , Reid -years ago. We are where we are and both Moore & Vyner  have been, to some extent, integral to where we are now.

Where it's hard to agree is when we are in top 6 and the team are playing as a team ( i.e. no Cole or Abraham distorting our position) then surely if we're in the top 6 then the team is top 6 standard where we've been for 20% of this season? 

47 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Vyner can also fill in at right back, right wing back, or even midfield which he frequented for Aberdeen. Mr Versatile.

52 minutes ago, Rich said:

Think this short video may ease your concerns - aggressive , and there’s a bit where he out jumps a certain Highly heralded Liverpool Centre Half

7 hours ago, Prinny said:

Until January? 11 games.

I wonder if this is a commitment to going back to 3-5-2 or he just comes in for Vyner in a 4.

We'll see I guess!

I suspect the former personally. They’ve spoke so much about ‘the new system’ that I think Mariappa is here for that reason. I like a back 3/5 so works for me. 

Welcome Adrian!

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Ashley Williams was thug, used every dirty trick in the book. Top defender in his day but past it when he joined us.

Past it....in terms of his peak....yes.  Not past it in being perfectly adequate for us.  He was better for us than he was at Stoke (from the games against us and the ones I saw on tv).  He told me he wasn’t happy at the end of his time at Stoke, and had no plans to go there permanently had they been interested.

44 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’ve just finished a zoom call with Bristol City Psychologist Damian Hodge about resilience in sport. Ironically Zac Vyner was talking about proving people wrong and how he was never the top player in his age groups growing up but look at him now compared to everyone else. 

You say he isn’t good enough for top six yet he’s played every minute for a top six side this season. And even if you don’t think he is good enough that only means you don’t think he is good enough today. He will continue to improve the same way he was improved continually up until now.  I’ve learned tonight that he doesn’t seem to lack on the mental side. 

Yep, made same point earlier in this thread.

37 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Think this short video may ease your concerns - aggressive , and there’s a bit where he out jumps a certain Highly heralded Liverpool Centre Half

Can’t say I’ve seen tonnes from him over the years, but he always struck me as a good, solid defender who was comfortable enough on the ball.  Good signing on the deal done.

Archived