IGNORED

Adrian Mariappa - SIGNING CONFIRMED

ollywhyte

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

He’s got nearly 200 games in the prem behind him . I think that tells everything it needs to 

My post was one of wanting to know what type of player he was and if there is a negative to his height.  Of course he has certain attributes to have made so many appearances but, what if his central defensive partner/partners, were blessed with the extra height to compliment him and his abilities, while we at present are not blessed with players with that extra height, as last Friday showed. Thanks for the post though. 

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Think this short video may ease your concerns - aggressive , and there’s a bit where he out jumps a certain Highly heralded Liverpool Centre Half

Thanks for that, interesting viewing. He certainly does have a will to win nature about him and might chip in with the odd goal as well, something we've been missing from the center backs for a while. A welcome addition in this time of attrition for defenders.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Past it....in terms of his peak....yes.  Not past it in being perfectly adequate for us.  He was better for us than he was at Stoke (from the games against us and the ones I saw on tv).  He told me he wasn’t happy at the end of his time at Stoke, and had no plans to go there permanently had they been interested.

Yep, made same point earlier in this thread.

Can’t say I’ve seen tonnes from him over the years, but he always struck me as a good, solid defender who was comfortable enough on the ball.  Good signing on the deal done.

Good clips but spoilt my the crap soundtrack.....I had to mute my device..........:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Past it....in terms of his peak....yes.  Not past it in being perfectly adequate for us.  

First few games I’d agree he was adequate but his sending off reinforced his ‘thug’ reputation and the two dreadful mistakes against the Baggies did it for me.

He provided reasonable cover in what were dire straits for City at the time but hey ho........:dunno:

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

Thanks for that, interesting viewing. He certainly does have a will to win nature about him and might chip in with the odd goal as well, something we've been missing from the center backs for a while. A welcome addition in this time of attrition for defenders.

Admire your optimism, he hasn’t scored in 7 and a half years!

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I get the feeling we will be going back to 352.

Vyner - Mariappa - Kalas?

Kalas doesn't look bad left side

Hope not...we have looked more solid with 4 at the back and 4 in midfield. 

I personally don't think our left and right backs are good enough to be wing backs....best as regular full backs.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

First few games I’d agree he was adequate but his sending off reinforced his ‘thug’ reputation and the two dreadful mistakes against the Baggies did it for me.

He provided reasonable cover in what were dire straits for City at the time but hey ho........:dunno:

Not sure he’s ever had a thug reputation???  Good, solid, hard defender, who could play out from the back is how I’ve always seen him.  Why thug reputation?  From where?

Two dreadful mistakes v Baggies?  He left his header short for the 3rd goal which Robson-Kanu scored.  Two Bentley fumbles for the first two???

One suspects you’ve carried this “thug reputation” into your view.

Williams was too slow I think- certainly if we were wanting to play a medium, let alone high line pressing game.

He never was the quickest but it became quite noticeable even before he joined us from maybe Everton onwards?

Mariappa seems to tick a number of boxes but I worry about pace and high line aspect again, aging CB + high line=Possible problems. Maybe 34 isn't quite there yet.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure he’s ever had a thug reputation???  Good, solid, hard defender, who could play out from the back is how I’ve always seen him.  Why thug reputation?  From where?

Two dreadful mistakes v Baggies?  He left his header short for the 3rd goal which Robson-Kanu scored.  Two Bentley fumbles for the first two???

One suspects you’ve carried this “thug reputation” into your view.

The Owls fans certainly thought that Williams was a thug. As you know I drop in to Owlstalk occasionally. Btw Pulis is firm favourite for the managers job at Hillsborough................:dunno:

If he was signed on a 2 year deal I’d be a little concerned by this but, as he has only signed until Jan, it’s as close to a free hit as you’re ever gonna find (especially for a player with his experience). If he plays well great, if he’s not up to it then we part ways with no long term damage. Excellent move by City to cover our most vulnerable part of the squad. 

58 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

His last goal was in February 2013, so then until now.

Or looking positively Graham 

Hes due one ! ?

I can’t say I’ve ever taken much notice of him but doing a bit of back research he looks a physical ‘competitor’ with a very good attitude , someone who’s going to give all they’ve got, maybe , certainly in Premier League terms there were questions over his ball playing capability, and Premier League ‘Class’ ,  but no questions over attitude and commitment and should be a very decent level of player for us , and certainly on paper a very decent short term , maybe longer , acquisition 

I think the attitude in his interview and all I can read about his attitude reading back is the attractive seal for me on this one 

He also played a fair bit at right back early in his career , though it is accepted that he’s a CB , 

With the option of playing him and pushing Zak out to RB or playing there himself if needed , we have some cover at RB now

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Hes due one ! ?

I can’t say I’ve ever taken much notice of him but doing a bit of back research he looks a physical ‘competitor’ with a very good attitude , someone who’s going to give all they’ve got, maybe , certainly in Premier League terms there were questions over his ball playing capability, and Premier League ‘Class’ ,  but no questions over attitude and commitment and should be a very decent level of player for us , and certainly on paper a very decent short term , maybe longer , acquisition 

I think the attitude in his interview and all I can read about his attitude reading back is the attractive seal for me on this one 

He also played a fair bit at right back early in his career , though it is accepted that he’s a CB , 

With the option of playing him and pushing Zak out to RB or playing there himself if needed , we have some cover at RB now

True! But let’s not go hoping he’s another Flint, eh?

In style he reminds me a lot of Louis Carey, not the tallest, right footed, not express pace but no slouch.

Coming to us late in his career, I admit but I’m pretty happy we have picked him up.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

True! But let’s not go hoping he’s another Flint, eh?

In style he reminds me a lot of Louis Carey, not the tallest, right footed, not express pace but no slouch.

Coming to us late in his career, I admit but I’m pretty happy we have picked him up.

From what I can see , I think I’ll take a bet that he picks up more yellows and possibly reds than he does threaten the opposition net 

Think his physicality might be useful for us , we are not blessed with that much in the squad

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

The Owls fans certainly thought that Williams was a thug. As you know I drop in to Owlstalk occasionally. Btw Pulis is firm favourite for the managers job at Hillsborough................:dunno:

Not sure that the opinion of fans of a club he never played for does much to back up your argument? :dunno:

17 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Not sure that the opinion of fans of a club he never played for does much to back up your argument? :dunno:

Played against him many times tho. 

Had he played for them at any stage they’d have a different view. Fans tend to protect their own players.

47 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Hes due one ! ?

He might just show Moore, Vyner and the youngsters what ‘edge’ you need to succeed in defence at this level.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why do you think he’s a thug though?

His sending off (forget who against) is one example of Williams being a thug. In the few games that I saw him play his legs had clearly gone and he really struggled against any pace. He had a short fuse.

Defending corners and set plays were what he was good at and what City needed at the time. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well that’s not actually true is it.....

Having looked at Owlstalk and searched Ashley / Williams / thug I can’t find a single reference to him being a thug or similar

Maybe you can provide a link

And back to your ‘thug’ accusation

5 sending offs in 578 games 

Doesn't really stack up does it 

His sending offs for us came from (IMHO)

Watkins needling him , possibly verbally and

Our general lacklustre play at Forest as was our way at the time - frustration

Surprised at him , but the two sending offs don’t spoil a very decent spell helping us out for me - his positioning , physicality and leadership were a joy to watch at times

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Well that’s not actually true is it.....

Having looked at Owlstalk and searched Ashley / Williams / thug I can’t find a single reference to him being a thug or similar

Maybe you can provide a link

And back to your ‘thug’ accusation

5 sending offs in 578 games 

Doesn't really stack up does it 

His sending offs for us came from (IMHO)

Watkins needling him , possibly verbally and

Our general lacklustre play at Forest as was our way at the time - frustration

Surprised at him , but the two sending offs don’t spoil a very decent spell helping us out for me - his positioning , physicality and leadership were a joy to watch at times

Don't think he is or was a thug though that red card at Nottingham Forest was a bad look!

Think the red card vs Watkins wasn't just needling but related to shortcomings in pace too.

He had quite the head start, watched it back multiple times- clubs field some full games on YouTube and Brentford chose that as one of theirs.

Needled yes, but outpaced too, that was a desperate challenge as Watkins was away, Williams had a significant or at least decent headstart in the middle of our half, the full phase of play shows this to have been the case.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think he is or was a thug though that red card at Nottingham Forest was a bad look!

Think the red card vs Watkins wasn't just needling but related to shortcomings in pace too.

He had quite the head start, watched it back multiple times- clubs field some full games on YouTube and Brentford chose that as one of theirs.

Needled yes, but outpaced too, that was a desperate challenge as Watkins was away, Williams had a significant or at least decent headstart in the middle of our half, the full phase of play shows this to have been the case.

Nail meet head!

I think for many defenders their latter career is when they pick up the most cautions. Usually because they cannot catch up with the player they are marking, without a foul.

Archived