IGNORED

Adrian Mariappa - SIGNING CONFIRMED

ollywhyte

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Nail meet head!

I think for many defenders their latter career is when they pick up the most cautions. Usually because they cannot catch up with the player they are marking, without a foul.

As a general rule, I'd tend to agree- you might get either defenders who will adapt, or ones who are more about the screening and snuffing out rather than the tackling but as a general rule I agree.

In particular when a side play a medium to high line- low medium to low block and it's a lot easier for defenders, centre backs- but higher up the pitch and it can pose big problems!

Been chatting to Mapps’ cousin.  
As mentioned earlier on here, he was offered a contract at Watford. I therefore wondered quite how much we must be paying him, but it wasn’t all about the money up there. There were concerns over playing time too. 
So we’re probably still paying him pretty well, but he’s also got more chance of playing games here, at his age that what he wanted. 

I’m also told he’s a leader - which we know we lack. Was always skipper in the youth ranks etc. If extended past January, maybe he’ll take the armband?? 

As for fitness. Whilst not ‘match fit’, he’s been doing plenty of training as he’s good mates with the coach at Hitchin Town. 

And I’m told he can’t half jump for someone who’s only 5 foot 9!! 

For me, whilst I’m usually not on board with picking up 34+ year old, this signing makes perfect sense. Only 3 fit CB’s at the moment and 2 other injured ones also out of contract at the end of this season. 
If he proves useful, then an extension to next season already solves the problem of losing Mawson & potentially Baker in the summer. 

30 minutes ago, Harry said:

As mentioned earlier on here, he was offered a contract at Watford. I therefore wondered quite how much we must be paying him, but it wasn’t all about the money up there. There were concerns over playing time too. 
So we’re probably still paying him pretty well, but he’s also got more chance of playing games here, at his age that what he wanted. 

I’m also told he’s a leader - which we know we lack. Was always skipper in the youth ranks etc. If extended past January, maybe he’ll take the armband?? 

As for fitness. Whilst not ‘match fit’, he’s been doing plenty of training as he’s good mates with the coach at Hitchin Town. 

For me, whilst I’m usually not on board with picking up 34+ year old, this signing makes perfect sense. Only 3 fit CB’s at the moment and 2 other injured ones also out of contract at the end of this season. 
If he proves useful, then an extension to next season already solves the problem of losing Mawson & potentially Baker in the summer. 

Is his cousin Aya ?

On 11/11/2020 at 18:44, cidered abroad said:

I see his arrival in the same way as Brunt. Both have been signed as bodies capable of performing at a reasonable standard in the Championship. Not to block the youngsters pathway but to help them.

Don’t wanna hijack the thread, but Chris Brunt made more premier league appearances than any other West Brom player ever - I expected more from him than ‘performing at a reasonable standard’ this season ...

3 hours ago, Harry said:

What's he like in a high line? There's a lot to like about what he does, leadership too as you say- but high line- does he especially being 34, fit well on this one?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What's he like in a high line? There's a lot to like about what he does, leadership too as you say- but high line- does he especially being 34, fit well on this one?

No idea. But the cousin says “he’s still got it” 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

... If he proves useful, then an extension to next season already solves the problem of losing Mawson & potentially Baker in the summer. 

Good post - thanks for this. Have to question though, why do people on here every season say we will “potentially lose Baker in the summer” ?! Still the best natural defender at the club, despite lots still pushing the myth that he goes off injured all the time ...

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Good post - thanks for this. Have to question though, why do people on here every season say we will “potentially lose Baker in the summer” ?! Still the best natural defender at the club, despite lots still pushing the myth that he goes off injured all the time ...

Good point.  He's not gone off injured for a long time now. :grr:

50 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

My reasoning would be, out of contract, currently with a long term injury, one of our biggest earners, unknown covid finances. 

We might keep him, but there’s a few reasons why we may not. 

I agree though, he’s our best CB. 

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Played against him many times tho. 

Not true. He's only played in the Championship the past 2 seasons, before that he was in the Prem for 7 seasons. 

He was booked in neither of the last 2 games against them for us , and looking online I don't think he played against them for Stoke. 

So essentially they think he's a thug for 2 games against them in the past 9 seasons? Am I correct? If so I wouldn't say their opinion is worthy enough to say Williams has a reputation of being a thug. 

I think a lot will remember him as a ball playing centre back and a leader, not a thug. 

On 12/11/2020 at 19:24, Harry said:

I couldn't agree more. I think in the position we are in  everything came together perfectly. Even him and Bobby Reid being in Jamaica..... I hear Bobby Reid is one of the people that convinced him to come to Bristol

12 hours ago, DWbristol said:

I've got a good feeling about Mariappa. I think we'll see great things from him. I love a player  with something to prove

I remember we signed a Jamaican central defender on loan from Watford back in Steve Cotterill's reign - I can't remember his name, but it began with an 'N', Nosworthy? - and he was pretty good.

I may be confusing him with another central defender signed around the same time, but he got injured during the pre-season tour to Botswana and never played for us again. 

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I remember we signed a Jamaican central defender on loan from Watford back in Steve Cotterill's reign - I can't remember his name, but it began with an 'N', Nosworthy? - and he was pretty good.

I may be confusing him with another central defender signed around the same time, but he got injured during the pre-season tour to Botswana and never played for us again. 

Nyron Nosworthy.

On 11/11/2020 at 20:56, Wiltshire robin said:

Understand what you’re saying but Moore and vyner are not good enough for a play off or top 2 championship side 

Agree. Not at the moment, not over a 46 match season. Too many mistakes in them, Moore in particular unfortunately.

Archived