IGNORED

Bakinson

Top Robin

People on here talking about dropping him! 

Basically, he has become our best and most important player and the type of player that we have been missing in that role in midfield for years.

I would go as far to say that if he has a bad game, the team underperforms...as per last night.

It would be madness to drop him and the best thing for him to do is play another game asap.

I can't see him playing that poorly again and he needs to prove it as soon as possible. 

I’d like to see us give him a go alongside a more natural central midfielder who can share some of the dirty work. Weimann and Paterson was working until last night, but I don’t think that system will work over an entire season.

I’m hoping Joe Williams will compliment him nicely. Then you can play one of Paterson/Weimann (eventually I’m curious to see Walsh). On paper I think it gives us better balance and should stop teams overloading Bakinson.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bakinson given a go at CB at some stage.

I wouldn’t say he should be dropped but realistically he isn’t going to play the next 6 games in 19 days having never played any Championship football before, is he?

Last night was a classic example of where he needed help & for me Brunt should have come on.

Who knows what the score is with Williams & Walsh, but we do have Brunt, O’Dowda, Nagy & HNM available to freshen it up, even if the other 2 continue to be missing.

He will need a break soon, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he is dropped.

Agree with the above post. I wouldn’t drop him. If he stays fit and he’s got the energy I would keep playing him. I was a bit concerned that Jonny Howson outstripped him last night on one occasion. Bakinson looked completely knackered and unable to stay with him. 

However, he is a solid player who will only get better, if he has the right support around him. He isn’t going to learn much from Weimann and Paterson about running a midfield and knowing when to quicken or slow down the tempo of the game. They are not midfielders, and have never been asked to run a midfield in their careers. 

Brunt and Williams are the perfect guides for Bakinson. Experienced pros with the craft and gile to make a difference in those ‘warnocky’ type games. I have no doubt Bakinson will become a top player, he just needs the right bodies and football brains around him. 

I think he's not looking quite as good now because other teams are aware of him and taking counter-measures to stop him, in the first few games he was an unknown and had more freedom to play. At his age he's bound to be a bit inconsistent and will need to be rested at some stage, we've got other players in his position waiting for their chance but if he is dropped I'm sure he'll bounce back and learn from the experience.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I wouldn’t say he should be dropped but realistically he isn’t going to play the next 6 games in 19 days having never played any Championship football before, is he?

Last night was a classic example of where he needed help & for me Brunt should have come on.

Who knows what the score is with Williams & Walsh, but we do have Brunt, O’Dowda, Nagy & HNM available to freshen it up, even if the other 2 continue to be missing.

Precisely......all of that. Bakinson never got close to hitting his standards set so far this season BUT playing in a midfield alongside Weimann and Paterson who were well shackled by Middlesbrough and both poor/anonymous literally did the lad no favours whatsoever. You can call him Pogba, Viera, whoever but he isn't at the standard where he can run Championship midfield's on his own just yet.

Just now, Lrrr said:

Given the schedule give him a game out and let him come back fully refreshed 

I'd leave him out a couple of games now, just for him to stay fresh, learn some more from experienced players and keep him on his toes. It's what Fergie used to do with his youngsters. Give them a bit of game time, then take them away for a little bit.

I'm not sure dropping him is the answer either as that runs a risk of being interpreted as punishment or singling him out. At his age and ability he needs coaching and constructive development to help him improve on last night. 

Resting him if he's exhausted (not suggesting he is) is a different reason to leave him out otherwise we run the risk of putting too much expectation on him this early and knackering him out.  

Things will get better in midfield once Walsh and Williams are fit and ready and will give us more options (the only silver lining after last night).

Last night was jaded - he is playing at an unfamiliar level and that takes a toll physically and mentally.

Is he starts Saturday the doubts about DH that have gone will return as that will be utter lunacy. He needs a rest for a game and we cannot risk a second jaded performance as that could set his confidence back weeks.

It will be very interesting to see what DH does for the next game. It's easy when you are winning as there is no real pressure to change anything. After two poor performances he is gonna start to show us whether he knows how to fix what obviously wasn't working last night. 

After the early rave reviews I was disappointed with Bakinson. However the whole team were poor and the passing was very sloppy. Not sure DH will drop either Pato or AW and if so the options to improve in midfield are very limited. 

When he subbed both strikers I could only imagine he doesn't rate the options in midfield. When your forwards hardly see the ball surely they aren't the obvious players to replace? So not sure Dean is gonna make the changes we need in midfield for Saturday either. 

Under normal circumstances he would have been given a rest, take him out let him watch a game and take it all in. He's gone from hoping to get a game, to being the mainstay of the team, little bit much really.
Our options are slim, Brunt could play the deeper role and rest or move Bakinson. Problem is we don't have a LCB and I personally would play Brunt there instead of a right footed CB. Other options? Nagy comes in from nowhere, HNM likewise, I'm amazed that Holden hasn't had one or the other on the bench. 

I said before, Bakinson was having an off day, which is far enough for anyone, let alone a young kid starting out. What we didn't have is anyone to step up and help him in CMF. Paterson and Weimann have done well in there, but are not midfielders. With Walsh and Williams still only rumours and Nagy & HNM out of favour Holden is making it hard for himself. Saturday will see what sort of manager he is.

He need resting that was clear last night, we are now doing 6 games in 19 days and that's a schedule you just can't expect a young player to do, he is going to.have to miss at least two of those games I think for his own good, I don't want to see him burnt out by Xmas , I want to see him playing well for the whole season but to do that the club going to have to manage him carefully

If you watch Bakinson he’s often surrounded by 2/3 opposition midfielders with Paterson and Weimann not even in the frame. It’s testament to him that he has looked as good as he has so far. Massengo played in that midfield combination in the first game of the season and was massively exposed. No wonder Bakinson needs a rest. 

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agree,  red to stop using the term “drop” in these circumstances.  If Vyner made mistake after mistake and then left out, that would be a valid use of the term.  In Bakinson’s case it looks like he needs a rest. Alternatively Dean might think he needs a different player to compliment him in midfield.

He's made an exciting start to his City career, but it is so common to see a player burst onto the scene, then drop off a bit.  Doesn’t make him bad player overnight, just one who needs to learn how to adapt to opponents learning how they can get at him.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

To be honest I was thinking no tea for a couple of days after that performance.......................

I’d let him have tea,but absolutely not let him have pudding .

I thought he played well. Perhaps the standards he has set are very high.

I saw a player constantly asking for the ball, making himself available but then having no support. It's no surprise it was him fouled for the penalty that wasn't given. He was trying to make something happen.

He will obviously need to be rested but he looks to me to be some way ahead of anything we currently have in that area of the pitch.

On 21/10/2020 at 14:04, Davefevs said:

Agree,  red to stop using the term “drop” in these circumstances.  If Vyner made mistake after mistake and then left out, that would be a valid use of the term.  In Bakinson’s case it looks like he needs a rest. Alternatively Dean might think he needs a different player to compliment him in midfield.

He's made an exciting start to his City career, but it is so common to see a player burst onto the scene, then drop off a bit.  Doesn’t make him bad player overnight, just one who needs to learn how to adapt to opponents learning how they can get at him.

And this is the problem I had with letting Morrell go. Bakinson will need a rest in the next few games or he will burn out as fast as he emerged. The problem is we don't have another holding midfielder to deputise for him any more. Nagy and Massengo aren't anywhere near as physical as Bakinson, Williams can play there but is better in a box-to-box role whenever he's actually fit. I can't see Vyner or Moore temporarily filling this position either, given how short on cover we are at centre-back.

I don’t think anyone is saying drop him permanently. I do think that we need a bit of rotation though with 3 games in a week, and I would be very happy to see any number of the midfield 3 rotated. If that is Tyreeq just for one game then so be it, I think it’ll more likely be one of the other two unless Williams makes a miraculous return.

48 minutes ago, tin said:

And this is the problem I had with letting Morrell go. Bakinson will need a rest in the next few games or he will burn out as fast as he emerged. The problem is we don't have another holding midfielder to deputise for him any more. Nagy and Massengo aren't anywhere near as physical as Bakinson, Williams can play there but is better in a box-to-box role whenever he's actually fit. I can't see Vyner or Moore temporarily filling this position either, given how short on cover we are at centre-back.

I don't think Morrell was particularly physical either. Maybe Brunt could do a job there

Archived