IGNORED

Realistic Expectations

There isn't too much to dislike about our start. 

Thinking back to the Stoke game. That first 10 - 15 mins was the standard and expectation set for the season. It was great stuff. 

Seeing these young players coming through is also a massive boost for everyone. Its another example of the club doing things the right way. 

I posted before the time DH was appointed, that he carries himself very well. He looks the part. It's great to hear his throaty growls from the sidelines.  

We are contenders. It's good to be in the conversation for a top six finish. Can we do it? I see no reason not to. We have a squad that can achieve. We haven't even seen half the team in the pitch yet, we always have a strong bench. Lots of options available to change games. 

If we are there or thereabouts at xmas... Why not. 

With Swansea, Bournemouth and Norwich coming up over the next week.......we are  in for a healthy dose of realism and  a realistic assessment of our future chances?  I believe we will do well to garner 4 points from them, but perhaps more important will be  our standard of performance?

6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

With Swansea, Bournemouth and Norwich coming up over the next week.......we are  in for a healthy dose of realism and  a realistic assessment of our future chances?  I believe we will do well to garner 4 points from them, but perhaps more important will be  our standard of performance?

I think against footballing sides we might fare better.  Forest good example (although lets be fair we did well to walk away with  3 points being under the cosh for a fair bit). We are well in credit. 

At the start of every new season my hopes are high regardless of who the manager is or depth of the squad - unfounded optimism for decades now......................:facepalm:

However having wasted my optimism on LJ (i was really hoping that he’d be a success);I really feel kinda emotionally drained this time around but and maybe that’s a good sign............:dunno:

Que sera sera.......

My expectation pre-season was to finish on 60 pts or less. Which would be around 14 per 10 games. We are well ahead of that which is positive but I'm not gonna be surprised if things tail off rapidly.

To me it feels a bit like the summer when the covid autumn second spike was inevitably looming on the horizon. Hope that's cheered you all up. 

4 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

My expectation pre-season was to finish on 60 pts or less. Which would be around 14 per 10 games. We are well ahead of that which is positive but I'm not gonna be surprised if things tail off rapidly.

To me it feels a bit like the summer when the covid autumn second spike was inevitably looming on the horizon. Hope that's cheered you all up. 

Out of interest, what will you be feeling if we win on Saturday and are sat there in at least second place on 16 points from 7 games?

Not saying we will.

Just interested whether this game has any potential to change your view?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, what will you be feeling if we win on Saturday and are sat there in at least second place on 16 points from 7 games?

Not saying we will.

Just interested whether this game has any potential to change your view?

I will be feeling happy to be up there clearly. My pre-season expectation was that we would regret appointing DH but he's done well so far. I don't have a feel though for how the season will go yet. I'm not sure saturday will change that if we squeak a 1-0 win thanks to Bentley keeping them out with a series of worldies. 

If we steam rollered them, won 3-0 and played like Brentford on a good day that could well change my opinion. I just feel like we are going to pick up injuries, Pato will go into a coma again and teams will have sussed us out and Deano struggle to find an answer. 

Maybe it's just too many years following us that causes this feeling though. 

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

I will be feeling happy to be up there clearly. My pre-season expectation was that we would regret appointing DH but he's done well so far. I don't have a feel though for how the season will go yet. I'm not sure saturday will change that if we squeak a 1-0 win thanks to Bentley keeping them out with a series of worldies. 

If we steam rollered them, won 3-0 and played like Brentford on a good day that could well change my opinion. I just feel like we are going to pick up injuries, Pato will go into a coma again but remain undroppable and teams will have sussed us out and Deano struggle to find an answer. 

While it’s a results business, would rather judge Holden on performances, Barnsley being one header away from 2 more points, not masses to do with a Holden’s management of the team how they got their 2nd goal. If we have another couple of games like that could easily be several points dropped which could be more than a few places in the table and that should be remembered. 

11 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

If we steam rollered them, won 3-0 and played like Brentford on a good day that could well change my opinion. I just feel like we are going to pick up injuries, Pato will go into a coma again and teams will have sussed us out and Deano struggle to find an answer. 

Ta.  Totally fair answer.

17 hours ago, Lrrr said:

While it’s a results business, would rather judge Holden on performances, Barnsley being one header away from 2 more points, not masses to do with a Holden’s management of the team how they got their 2nd goal. If we have another couple of games like that could easily be several points dropped which could be more than a few places in the table and that should be remembered. 

I prefer it to be an entertainment industry rather than a results business, but really it's the beautiful game.

Just now, mozo said:

I prefer it to be an entertainment industry rather than a results business, but really it's the beautiful game.

Win, lose or draw I think the majority of games Dean’s teams are going to try and play football entertaining football so hopefully shouldn’t have to worry about that factor and merely whether we’re getting the results.

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Win, lose or draw I think the majority of games Dean’s teams are going to try and play football entertaining football so hopefully shouldn’t have to worry about that factor and merely whether we’re getting the results.

I sincerely hope that you will be proved right at the end of the season.

However, that non performance on Tuesday tells me that we have a long way to go to erase the slow, slow and even slower mindset from those in the squad who have been here for over three seasons.

I want to see us trying to play entertaining, aggressive and entertaining football, preferably on the grass. I don't like losing, but that is inevitable at times. Turgid games like me Tuesday must become a "one in the season" not the norm.

Archived