IGNORED

Not a dig - Just observations - Transfer Window

richyy66

First time poster - I have been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and read this forum as am interested to hear peoples views. 

Firstly i am not trying to slag off the club for Manager Appointment or tactics.  Whilst i was not keen on the Dean Holden appointment he is our Manager and the club appointed him so we are where we are. I do question some of the transfer dealings this summer. Before the season started and after a few games people were saying what a great Transfer Window we had. I was not so sure at the time and even more worried now.

Ryan Williams - We keep have been told that he is a couple of weeks away since we signed him - if so where is he. (Possible injury prone)

Chris Brunt - Too old in my view - Currently in the squad and looks to be an insurance policy for midfield - hardly likely to get much game time as it seems  - He is effectively keeping Jay Dasilva out of the squad.

Alfie Mawson - History of knee issues -Ala Benik Afobe  - I thought we may have learned from last year that this could end up being an expensive gamble.

Chris Martin - Looks to be a good signing, Not the quickest but his strength in holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

Questions i am sure need to be answered at some stage -

Why is Jay DaSilva being kept out of the squad - he is our best wing back and has so much potential. How is Tommy Rowe keeping him out.

Why are we constantly being told Liam Walsh is the future of Bristol City. As far as i can see he is nowhere near the first team with his mysterious injury along with Ryan Williams.

It is worrying that we did not sign another central defender before the deadline shut as Zak Vyner and Taylor Moore seem to have a costly mistake in them which will cost us points over the season - as they have already. I know they are young but i think its a big ask for them to go the whole season. Given that Baker and Kalas are unlikely to be available every game.

I would have liked to have seen a bid to bring back Benkovic on loan. Cardiff have made an excellent addition by adding him to their squad.

I think at the end of the season we may look back and regret some of the current decisions that have being made by the club in the transfer market . I will continue to support the Manager and team but really think we missed a trick in transfer window. Morsey last night is exactly the sort of midfielder we require. We are too soft in the middle.

3 players that were available - Benkovic / Harry Wilson / Morsey would have been outstanding. additions to this squad.

I think we will finish mid table this season......

39 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

First time poster - I have been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and read this forum as am interested to hear peoples views. 

Firstly i am not trying to slag off the club for Manager Appointment or tactics.  Whilst i was not keen on the Dean Holden appointment he is our Manager and the club appointed him so we are where we are. I do question some of the transfer dealings this summer. Before the season started and after a few games people were saying what a great Transfer Window we had. I was not so sure at the time and even more worried now.

Ryan Williams - We keep have been told that he is a couple of weeks away since we signed him - if so where is he. (Possible injury prone)

Chris Brunt - Too old in my view - Currently in the squad and looks to be an insurance policy for midfield - hardly likely to get much game time as it seems  - He is effectively keeping Jay Dasilva out of the squad.

Alfie Mawson - History of knee issues -Ala Benik Afobe  - I thought we may have learned from last year that this could end up being an expensive gamble.

Chris Martin - Looks to be a good signing, Not the quickest but his strength in holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

Why is Jay DaSilva being kept out of the squad - he is our best wing back and has so much potential. How is Tommy Rowe keeping him out.

Why are we constantly being told Liam Walsh is the future of Bristol City. As far as i can see he is nowhere near the first team with his mysterious injury along with Ryan Williams.

It is worrying that we did not sign another central defender before the deadline shut as Zak Vyner and Taylor Moore seem to have a costly mistake in them which will cost us points over the season - as they have already. I know they are young but i think its a big ask for them to go the whole season. Given that Baker and Kalas are unlikely to be available every game.

I would have liked to have seen a bid to bring back Benkovic on loan. Cardiff have made an excellent addition by adding him to their squad.

I think at the end of the season we may look back and regret some of the current decisions that have being made by the club in the transfer market . I will continue to support the Manager and team but really think we missed a trick in transfer window. Morsey last night is exactly the sort of midfielder we require. We are too soft in the middle.

3 players that were available - Benkovic / Harry Wilson / Morsey would have been outstanding. additions to this squad.

Ryan williams ???

I too am frustrated that Ryan Williams is nowhere near the first team....but to answer a few of your points:

- Harry Wilson. Reported Cardiff paid £1.2m loan fee and £60k p/w in wages, likely Liverpool penalty clauses also. He’s good, but he’s not a guaranteed five star a game. And I wouldn’t pay that for him in the current climate

- Benkovic. Tbh, I didn’t feel (pre lockdown) he was great. Better post lockdown but again, sizeable loan fee/wages likely and I’d take the development of Moore over the development of Benko - he again isn’t your “star” signing, he’s decent and not so much better than Moore that it’s worth it

- Mawson- as per main thread on him, it was a gamble worth taking. And if I have to say one more time that it was Afobes other ACL I’ll seriously lose my shit

- Brunt - is not keeping Dasilva out of the squad. He’s not LWB cover - as you rightly point out, he doesn’t have the legs for that. As Dean has said on more than one occasion, O’Dowda is covering LWB and if you want to blame someone for keeping Jay out, it’s him

- Do I think Jay is in our best side? Yes. But Tommy Rowe has been fine so far, and dropping him prior to last night would be harsh. Jay started the season injured, and it’s been Tommy’s shirt to lose - and he’s had no reason to lose it to date 

I agree that there is a question over our CB cover. However, how good a CB could you get - working on COVID restrictive budgets - who would be behind (when fit) Moore, Mawson, Baker, Kalas, Vyner. The answer is Ashley Williams. And that’s not an answer any of us want.

But again, Ryan Williams. ....

1 hour ago, richyy66 said:

Why is Jay DaSilva being kept out of the squad - he is our best wing back and has so much potential. How is Tommy Rowe keeping him out. Dean Holden disagrees with your assessment on who is best.

Why are we constantly being told Liam Walsh is the future of Bristol City. As far as i can see he is nowhere near the first team with his mysterious injury along with Ryan Williams. He's injured, and Dean Holden said he's a major part of the way we want to play. So that's why he's not near the first team, because he's unavailable, and that's why you're being told he's the future, because the manager said it.

It is worrying that we did not sign another central defender before the deadline shut as Zak Vyner and Taylor Moore seem to have a costly mistake in them which will cost us points over the season - as they have already. I know they are young but i think its a big ask for them to go the whole season. Given that Baker and Kalas are unlikely to be available every game. I would have liked to have seen a bid to bring back Benkovic on loan. Cardiff have made an excellent addition by adding him to their squad. It's fair to ask why we didn't get a sixth centre back considering Baker's long term injury and Mawson's history of knee injuries.

I think at the end of the season we may look back and regret some of the current decisions that have being made by the club in the transfer market . I will continue to support the Manager and team but really think we missed a trick in transfer window. Morsey last night is exactly the sort of midfielder we require. We are too soft in the middle. That's why we signed Joe Williams.

3 players that were available - Benkovic / Harry Wilson / Morsey would have been outstanding. additions to this squad. I think we will finish mid table this season. Well we had Benkovic so were in a good position to make an assessment on him and if you don't Moore and Vyner for having a mistake in them, you didn't watch Benkovic do the same last season!, Harry Wilson doesn't fit in our system and we signed a player that is in the role you want but he's coming back from injury so wait on that one.

26 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Brunt - is not keeping Dasilva out of the squad. He’s not LWB cover - as you rightly point out, he doesn’t have the legs for that. As Dean has said on more than one occasion, O’Dowda is covering LWB and if you want to blame someone for keeping Jay out, it’s him

This is correct, I don't blame people for not listening to every bit of media we produce but sometimes the answers are already there. It's fine to disagree, but recommend listening.

2 hours ago, richyy66 said:

Welcome aboard old sock.

Take your points despite a few name errors gleefully pointed out by others as normal on OTIB.

You are correct about Walsh and I fail to see how so many rate him so highly when he has achieved nothing of note to date.

In my mind we have done ok in the transfer window and have done well to offload some deadwood. In saying that I feel a few more should be moved on.

I think we will finish top half but outside the playoffs however as a life long City fan I really hope I am wrong.

I don't think Holden will play Walsh until he signs the contract on offer. If he doesn't commit to the club then can see him being froze out - with the excuse coming back from the club that he is still injured.

A friend of mine who was a season ticket holder at WBA has always said that Chris Brunt plays either left wing or left back which is why i thought he was brought in for cover in those positions.  I don't see him as a Central Midfielder which is why i find it strange that he has a position in the squad (ie keeping someone else out of it). I agree that Tommy Rowe has done well in the LWB position this season but for me doesn't have the same energy or skill as Jay DaSilva. I think DaSilva is a class act and exciting to watch and such a talent for his age. I am unsure how O'dowda is ahead of him in the pecking order. He should have been moved on in the summer.

Not here to disagree with people just putting my point of view across. We all have different opinions i suppose.

I don't think Holden will play Walsh until he signs the contract on offer. If he doesn't commit to the club then can see him being froze out - with the excuse coming back from the club that he is still injured.

A friend of mine who was a season ticket holder at WBA has always said that Chris Brunt plays either left wing or left back which is why i thought he was brought in for cover in those positions.  I don't see him as a Central Midfielder which is why i find it strange that he has a position in the squad (ie keeping someone else out of it). I agree that Tommy Rowe has done well in the LWB position this season but for me doesn't have the same energy or skill as Jay DaSilva. I think DaSilva is a class act and exciting to watch and such a talent for his age. I am unsure how O'dowda is ahead of him in the pecking order. He should have been moved on in the summer.

Not here to disagree with people just putting my point of view across. We all have different opinions i suppose.

I agree Holden wants to play wingbacks we havent got a decent winger in the club so we need to be looking at attacking fullbacks .

When Brunt has appeared for us, he's played in the middle. I don't think Rowe has done badly, but if he's playing LWB it's only going to work against certain players, i.e. bigger, slow ones and he deals well against them. Anyone quick and he's in trouble.

Benkovic didn't really impress me on loan, not dominant in the air, good on the floor. Maybe we didn't see enough of him though.

Mawson has played very very well IMO in the games he has played for us, and with hindsight everyone will say it's a gamble, we shouldn't have done it, etc but had he stayed fit, he would be have been a huge asset.

Wilson doesn't fit our primary tactic/formation so would have been an expensive player to shoehorn in.

I think Williams is supposed to be that steel in midfield, but I agree its concerning we haven't really heard a sniff about him ever being fit or available. Same with Walsh really. 1st game of the season they were both only a week or two away, but that was what, 2 months now?

Archived