IGNORED

Aden Baldwin

GrahamC

Anyone know what has happened with him?

Went on loan in the National League to Eastleigh last season prior to that league ending due to Covid, but hasn’t gone on loan this season or featured at all for the U23s.

He is 23 now & a centre back with limited league experience after a previous spell on loan at Cheltenham.

Nothing has been said about him being injured or released, though I doubt very much he is under serious consideration for the first team, as he would have been on the bench v Exeter if he was, but it just seems an odd one.

57 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Gregor asked Holden earlier in the season and he said training with the under 23s.

Thanks, weird that he hasn’t featured at all then.

If he has no future with us (which seems likely) surely worth discussing a parting of the ways? 

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks, weird that he hasn’t featured at all then.

If he has no future with us (which seems likely) surely worth discussing a parting of the ways? 

Those discussions may have already happened but as per usual the club don’t tell us plebs anything.

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Those discussions may have already happened but as per usual the club don’t tell us plebs anything.

Why would they?  It's none of our business, and if that is the ultimate conclusion I'm sure there'll be some sort of comment on the OS.  I'd find it extremely odd if the club came out and said that they're negotiating with a player about him being released from the club.  If that is indeed the situation.

22 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Wasn't Robbie Cundy a CB we had out on loan too. Wonder if it might be possible to/worth a recall if Mawson is out long term. 

Well in January perhaps, but until then we probably have about 15 games at least to get through 

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Wasn't Robbie Cundy a CB we had out on loan too. Wonder if it might be possible to/worth a recall if Mawson is out long term. 

Already lost his place in the Cambridge side (an unused sub in last 3 games) so might be coming back anyway, though not for the reason you suggest..

I mentioned earlier on in the window it’s time to use these players like Towler or Baldwin if we have an injury crisis rather than stockpiling players we may not use on big wages. 

Sink or Swim, let’s hope it’s the latter if one of them is called upon. 

59 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I mentioned earlier on in the window it’s time to use these players like Towler or Baldwin if we have an injury crisis rather than stockpiling players we may not use on big wages. 

Sink or Swim, let’s hope it’s the latter if one of them is called upon. 

Without knowing very much about the two you mention, I guess a lot of us hoped it would be Vyner we were considering adding into the squad. ☹️

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Liked him in Hunt for Red October, but tha was a while ago. 

Is that Jack Hunt - in red - in October.

38 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Harrison or Towler to be on bench for next game unless Holden thinks Rowe is good enough at centre back. 

Tend to agree.  It would be a big compliment to both of them if Dean called them into the 18.

Assuming Mawson is out for a while, then it is crucial Kalas stays fit.

I’d sit there much more comfortable with our captain in the middle of any back three, even if that was Rowe / Towler / Harrison on his left.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Tend to agree.  It would be a big compliment to both of them if Dean called them into the 18.

I’d sit there much more comfortable with our captain in the middle of any back three, even if that was Rowe / Towler / Harrison on his left.

Having watched Harrison he strikes me as a centre of the three or nothing type at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’ll be very surprised to see that.

Think if fit Kalas, Moore & Vyner are certs, Hunt seems nailed on at RWB, with Dasilva & Rowe competing on the left.

Think whoever misses out from those two will be joined on the bench by Sessegnon but not by one of the youngsters.

20 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Having watched Harrison he strikes me as a centre of the three or nothing type at the moment. 

No officianado on the u23s but the line-ups and Cardiff game I watched he played RCB, Towler CB and Soady LCB

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’ll be very surprised to see that.

Think if fit Kalas, Moore & Vyner are certs, Hunt seems nailed on at RWB, with Dasilva & Rowe competing on the left.

Think whoever misses out from those two will be joined on the bench by Sessegnon but not by one of the youngsters.

I was only suggesting that if we had another injury (on top of Mawson).

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Yeah I mean at championship level. He seems like he would be much better suited in the centre 

Not sure about that, if he had someone like Kalas inside him directing/covering think it’d be better for him then being the one to cover.

12 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Yeah I mean at championship level. He seems like he would be much better suited in the centre 

No idea in fairness....although if you take someone like Vyner, a CB, it was safer to give him his debut (MK Dons) at RB, e.g. away from the dangerous centre of the pitch.  He later admitted he’d never played RB.

50 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

I have no idea about Aden never seen him play. But at 23 he should be ready for the first team. A decision needs to be made on whether he is going to make it.

A lot of clubs keep a 23's squad full of 22/23 year olds, plenty of who won't make it to keep a strong team at first team level allowing the players who will to thrive and develop. An example being Dan James in a strong Swansea u23's team which featured a lot of older u23's age group players.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

A lot of clubs keep a 23's squad full of 22/23 year olds, plenty of who won't make it to keep a strong team at first team level allowing the players who will to thrive and develop. An example being Dan James in a strong Swansea u23's team which featured a lot of older u23's age group players.

Was just typing as you posted!

You need some squad players for the u23s. Not every one of them is a talented player that anyone thinks will come through. They're on relatively low wages and they help ensure that the u23a don't get blown out every week with their size and strength allowing the talents to develop around them. If it suddenly clicks, great! If not, toss them on the scrapheap. That's the reality of business, and the opposing side of when people complain about the loyalty of players. Clubs don't care if someone isn't good enough.

Cundy is our shot at developing an Aden Flint, late developing big centre back. It's just a punt, high reward low risk.

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

Was just typing as you posted!

You need some squad players for the u23s. Not every one of them is a talented player that anyone thinks will come through. They're on relatively low wages and they help ensure that the u23a don't get blown out every week with their size and strength allowing the talents to develop around them. If it suddenly clicks, great! If not, toss them on the scrapheap. That's the reality of business, and the opposing side of when people complain about the loyalty of players. Clubs don't care if someone isn't good enough.

Cundy is our shot at developing an Aden Flint, late developing big centre back. It's just a punt, high reward low risk.

U23's have been doing really well to be where they are this season 3 wins (Swansea/Cardiff/Watford) and only a defeat away to Sheffield Utd with a red card at 0-0, especially given we've been using 2 players over the age group of 19 turning 20 this season.

Just now, Lrrr said:

U23's have been doing really well to be where they are this season 3 wins (Swansea/Cardiff/Watford) and only a defeat away to Sheffield Utd with a red card at 0-0, especially given we've been using 2 players over the age group of 19 turning 20 this season.

mm obv we judge the u23 process on players that come through not results, but winning with younger players suggests that we do have talent there.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. From what I've seen of him it would seem like having Aden Flint right of a 3.

He currently plays right centre back of a 3 I think for a couple of reasons.

Soady being left footed and short has to play left of the 3. Towler left footed not suited to right of the 3 so he is central.

But also I imagine they see Towler's future being central of a 3 so good practice.

And Harrison being right might actually improve parts of his game there, even if that's not his preferred position.

He mainly played centre of the 3 when Taylor was with us in the Taunton game. I think they swapped a bit second half when the game was won.

That’s because Taylor is a RB playing at RCB, hence Harrison being the central player. 

37 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I know he's a right back like Webb is a left back/centre back the other side when they were both here. But looking at Harrison he looks far more comfortable centrally to me. Cardiff game he looked uncomfortable I thought. A lot of their play going down that side, possibly targeting him.

More a case Opi is at RWB so Taylor either played RCB or was on the bench. 

Archived