IGNORED

Hartlepool's take on remembrance day

One Team In Keynsham

Speaking as a raging leftie of the type that is constantly accused of wanting to ban Remembrance, over-sensitive easily offended middle aged men and God Save the Queen*, I really, really like it.  It looks awesome. 

*Which let's face it, is an absolute dirge of a tune and should be replaced by Jerusalem forthwith. 

I'll admit to not loving it at first. I thought it leant a bit too far towards the "glory" of war rather than the remembrance of those who fought and died.

However, if you read the club statement it becomes clear that they've not just picked a random aspect of WW2 and slapped it on the shirt. "

"Acting Executive Director Martin Jesper added: “This is a tradition that deserves its continuation so we can show our respect to all service personnel. Our respect goes to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. After initial consultation with supporter group representatives it was agreed that this year the Club should recognise the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and it seemed appropriate the representation of the RAF fighter jet was front and centre of this year’s kit”."

I think we can forgive his calling a Spitfire a "jet".

22 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

It doesn't even have poppies on it....

I still don't think this can be legit.

Love it. What a great club. Got to the prem, and charged fans just 199 for season ticket as a thank you. Then they get sponsorship from a gambling company and dont display the company with agreement, and now this beautiful shirt. Well done

1 minute ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Love it. What a great club. Got to the prem, and charged fans just 199 for season ticket as a thank you. Then they get sponsorship from a gambling company and dont display the company with agreement, and now this beautiful shirt. Well done

Think you’re on about Huddersfield 

3 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Eh? I'm hoping you mean Conference Prem and not The actual Prem? 

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'll admit to not loving it at first. I thought it leant a bit too far towards the "glory" of war rather than the remembrance of those who fought and died.

However, if you read the club statement it becomes clear that they've not just picked a random aspect of WW2 and slapped it on the shirt. "

"Acting Executive Director Martin Jesper added: “This is a tradition that deserves its continuation so we can show our respect to all service personnel. Our respect goes to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. After initial consultation with supporter group representatives it was agreed that this year the Club should recognise the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and it seemed appropriate the representation of the RAF fighter jet was front and centre of this year’s kit”."

I think we can forgive his calling a Spitfire a "jet".

If they wanted to remember the Battle of Britain, perhaps they should have focused on the Pilots and Home guard and Fire wardens??

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I hate it.

It's glorifying a specific weapon of war.  Rememberance day is about honouring the sacrifice of millions.  

My grandad would turn in his grave.

Looks massively ******* Brexit to me, which is hardly a surprise.

25 minutes ago, The Bard said:

If they wanted to remember the Battle of Britain, perhaps they should have focused on the Pilots and Home guard and Fire wardens??

It's easy to look at that shirt and see it as a glorification of a weapon rather than a commemoration of all British and Commonwealth service people who have fallen throughout the centuries (remembrance day is not just about WW2 and WW1). However, I think it's also useful to have certain things that help people to focus their thoughts. Perhaps you can argue that it's a shame that it has to be a weapon that provides that focus, but I'd rather that than no remembrance at all.

I speak as the grandson of one of the Rolls-Royce engineers who worked on the Merlin engine. Grandpa was one of those people 'behind the scenes' who often gets omitted or is relegated to a footnote. Personally I don't worry too much about that though. I and my family remember him and his contribution to the country, and many others do as well. I know that those pilots from 1941 would be the first to acknowledge the engineers, the ground crews, the wardens and the radar operators. They'd give them all the glory I have no doubt. But engineers don't capture the imagination of the public - fighter pilots do.

Archived