IGNORED

Charity not PPV

phantom

• Admin

Interesting to read that supporters groups from all Premier league sides are now backing this campaign. 

For anyone who's not aware of it, Premier league supporters are being encouraged by their supporters clubs to donate the money that they would have paid for a PPV match to a local designated charity specified by each club instead.

Many clubs are already reporting thousands of pounds being raised in the first few days already 

Some of the charities benefiting are:

(Arsenal) The Hive food bank 

(Aston Villa) Aston and Nechells Foodbank

Brighton food bank 

Burnley food bank 

(Chelsea) Hammersmith and Fulham food bank 

(Crystal Palace) Norwood and Brixton food bank 

(Everton) St Andrews food bank 

(Fulham) Campaign Against Living Miserably

Leeds fans food bank 

(Leicester City) Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha Foundation

(Liverpool) St Andrews food bank 

(Manchester City) Manchester food bank 

(Manchester United) Manchester food bank 

Newcastle West End food bank

(Sheffield Utd) St Lukes hospice 

(Southampton) City catering 

Tottenham food bank 

(West Brom) Smethwick food bank 

(West Ham) Newham food bank 

Wolverhampton food bank 

So they’d rather not have the option to watch at all like before Covid if they couldn’t make it to the game? I’m only aware of a Newcastle who haven’t refunded season tickets but Ashley’s gunna Ashley. Are the rest just complaining sky aren’t showing all games anymore? 

the donating to charity is admirable though as it would have easy to hold onto their money and protest.

7 hours ago, Lrrr said:

So they’d rather not have the option to watch at all like before Covid if they couldn’t make it to the game? I’m only aware of a Newcastle who haven’t refunded season tickets but Ashley’s gunna Ashley. Are the rest just complaining sky aren’t showing all games anymore? 

the donating to charity is admirable though as it would have easy to hold onto their money and protest.

I think it’s a good stance by the supporters , if this proves to be a success then I can see Sky and the clubs looking into this becoming the norm 

Liverpool fans boycotted Sky Sports Box Office after being told they had to pay £14 .95 to watch their team play Sheffield United.

Instead, supporters got together and managed to raise over £81,000 for foodbanks.

Spirit of Shankly fan group raised over £81,000 after making donations of £14 .95 to foodbanks.

Newcastle fans started the trend after raising close to £20,000 after boycotting their match against Manchester United.

Leeds United supporters followed when they donated around £40,000 to foodbanks during the Whites' match against Aston Villa.

Good to see supporters taking a stance against the growing greed within the game 

4 minutes ago, daored said:

Liverpool fans boycotted Sky Sports Box Office after being told they had to pay £14 .95 to watch their team play Sheffield United.

Instead, supporters got together and managed to raise over £81,000 for foodbanks.

Spirit of Shankly fan group raised over £81,000 after making donations of £14 .95 to foodbanks.

Newcastle fans started the trend after raising close to £20,000 after boycotting their match against Manchester United.

Leeds United supporters followed when they donated around £40,000 to foodbanks during the Whites' match against Aston Villa.

Good to see supporters taking a stance against the growing greed within the game 

Absolutely right. 

it’s an absolute disgrace that the Sky/BT should attempt to exploit football fans devotion to their club. Outrageous and I truly hope that barely anyone coughed up the £15 they were asking.

Its also wonderful to see that the fans of these bigger clubs rallied around to raise very decent amounts of money fo food banks. At least there was a silver lining to the cloud put up by Sky/BT.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely right. 

it’s an absolute disgrace that the Sky/BT should attempt to exploit football fans devotion to their club. Outrageous and I truly hope that barely anyone coughed up the £15 they were asking.

Its also wonderful to see that the fans of these bigger clubs rallied around to raise very decent amounts of money fo food banks. At least there was a silver lining to the cloud put up by Sky/BT.

This isn’t Sky / BT....this is premier league clubs trying to find a revenue stream.  The broadcasters have their tv deal, they’ve had their free games til end of September to save the Prem clubs paying them back colossal sums.  This is now the clubs and PL decision.  Sky / BT are just providing the platform...and getting “costs” to run it....everything else goes to the clubs.

Can’t slate Sky / BY on this one.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This isn’t Sky / BT....this is premier league clubs trying to find a revenue stream.  The broadcasters have their tv deal, they’ve had their free games til end of September to save the Prem clubs paying them back colossal sums.  This is now the clubs and PL decision.  Sky / BT are just providing the platform...and getting “costs” to run it....everything else goes to the clubs.

I think if the clubs had gone for a more reasonable amount........say £5.99, fans would be more amenable to the idea, enough to make a small profit, but not hitting the supporters pockets so hard.  In the long run it would have been better PR, and they would have sold more.  Better to have 10,000 at £5.99 than 2,000 at £15.99?

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I think if the clubs had gone for a more reasonable amount........say £5.99, fans would be more amenable to the idea, enough to make a small profit, but not hitting the supporters pockets so hard.  In the long run it would have been better PR, and they would have sold more.  Better to have 10,000 at £5.99 than 2,000 at £15.99?

Price point is definitely a factor.

They “stupidly” went along the greed route of “EFL are charging a tenner, Prem is better, how about £15”. The bit they’d not factored in was that virtually all EFL clubs were offering either pro-rata refunds or free iFollow for season card holders.  Many prem clubs haven’t established a refund strategy yet (Saints and West Brom have - pro-rats refunds).

They’ve been made to look greedy and fans have seen them for what they are!

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant

Raising all the money for foodbanks is great, and fairplay to those who have donated.

Must be honest however, I haven't followed this story and streaming debate very closely, what are the objections premier league fans are making to this PPV thing? I get that it's 4 quid more than we pay, but aside from that, I'm somewhat behind the curve understanding the objections.

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Raising all the money for foodbanks is great, and fairplay to those who have donated.

Must be honest however, I haven't followed this story and streaming debate very closely, what are the objections premier league fans are making to this PPV thing? I get that it's 4 quid more than we pay, but aside from that, I'm somewhat behind the curve understanding the objections.

I think that few if any clubs are refunding ST holders like we are in the EFL. No idea how they`re getting away with it mind.

17 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think that few if any clubs are refunding ST holders like we are in the EFL. No idea how they`re getting away with it mind.

We're in the ludicruos position of selling season tickets a good two months before the current season ends. Not all clubs do that so pressumably a few/some/most PL clubs haven't found themselves in a similar position to us. A sfor getting away with it - if anyone is trying to, I don't think they'll succeed. At least I hope not.

8 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

We're in the ludicruos position of selling season tickets a good two months before the current season ends. Not all clubs do that so pressumably a few/some/most PL clubs haven't found themselves in a similar position to us. A sfor getting away with it - if anyone is trying to, I don't think they'll succeed. At least I hope not.

There was another thread about this a few days ago - IIRC Newcastle were one of the clubs refusing refunds.

I expect @Mr Popodopolous has chapter and verse on it being our resident expert on football financing.

33 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Wow.

No wonder people have got the hump.

Could understand a similar position to us if season tickets were refunded and it was fifteen quid a game, done on a game by game basis, but no refunds?

That's criminal. I assume that the Sky/BT/Amazon and overseas television money has been banked, so to keep the season ticket money which is probably the 5th or 6th biggest source of income and handed over back when a lot of these clubs were shit and in lower divisions it dreadful behaviour.

• Admin

Premier League fans boycotting pay-per-view games have raised more than £300,000 for charity - but the controversial TV scheme is set to continue at least until next month's international break.

Matches that are outside the scheduled TV broadcast selections are available on BT Sport Box Office or Sky Sports Box Office for £14.95 per game.

Games had been available free-to-air since the Premier League returned without fans in June.

But that changed in early October.

Clubs said the pay-to-view measure was an "interim solution" to allow fans to watch their teams live.

However, on Monday Newcastle owner Mike Ashley called for a review, saying fans had "overwhelmingly rejected" the scheme and it should be reduced to £4.95 per game until Christmas. The pricing will be debated at a Premier League shareholders' meeting on Tuesday.

The model is set to be extended to the matches on 6-8 November, but it is understood clubs are likely to delay a longer-term decision until nearer to the Premier League getting back under way on 21 November.

The clubs, which voted 19-1 in favour of the move initially, want to wait on the latest information from the government regarding the return of fans to games.

On 9 November, the government will debate a petition about the return of fans which received more than 198,000 signatures.

BT Sport and Sky Sports reportedly want the pay-per-view model to be scrapped because of concerns about the damage it is doing to their reputation.

The Premier League announced its broadcast picks for November on Friday, but there was no mention of pay-to-view games, with the league saying "additional broadcast selections will be announced in due course".

The move has drawn criticism from football supporters, while former Manchester United and England right-back Gary Neville, now a Sky pundit, said the system "just needs scrapping".

Speaking on Sky Sports' Monday Night Football, Neville added: "It's finished, no-one is paying for it, no-one is watching it, it's done."

Which fans have donated in protest?

There have so far been nine pay-per-view games since the model started with Chelsea's home game against Southampton on Saturday, 17 October.

Liverpool fans raised more than £120,000 for North Liverpool food bank after their 2-1 victory against Sheffield United on Saturday, while Leeds fans donated £57,000 instead of paying to watch their side win 3-0 at Aston Villa on Friday.

The NUFC Fans Food Bank group has made more than £60,000 after fans boycotted Newcastle's 4-1 defeat against Manchester United last weekend, while Tottenham Hotspur fans have already raised in the region of £16,000 despite their first pay-pay-view game not being until their home match against Brighton on 1 November.

Arsenal fans had donated £30,000 up to kick-off in their 1-0 defeat by Leicester on Sunday, with West Brom, Sheffield United and Fulham fans also contributing.

Manchester United and Manchester City supporters have given £25,000 to a local foodbank - despite City not yet having featured in a pay-per-view game, as have West Ham fans.

Simon Huthwaite, from the St Andrew's Community Network, which runs the North Liverpool food bank, said the donation will make a "huge difference".

"St Andrew's Community Network has been superbly supported by fans of both Everton and Liverpool and we are indebted to Fans Supporting Foodbanks for their unwavering dedication and coordination over the last five years," he said.

"The £120,000 raised in such a short space of time is really an incredible testament to the fact that local people really understand and have totally got behind the battle against food insecurity and food poverty."

Martin Cloake, the co-chair of the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust, said their involvement had come from "fan anger" and "that there was also a growing realisation that food banks really need our help".

Leeds Supporters' Trust called the charges "excessive" with fans already having subscriptions to sport channels and many still paying for a season ticket.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54692739

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Super said:

Anyone know the viewing figures for these PPV games? Thought i heard that one game had less than a 1000!

Sky’s Premier League pay per view matches have been watched by a much lower audience than normal according to new figures.

The British Audience Research Board (BARB) has released its latest estimates on TV audience figures - including Sky Box Office.

TV executive Joel Minsky has shared the figures, and they make for interesting reading.

The first weekend of matches on Sky Box Office saw low audience numbers, with Newcastle United against Manchester United attracting 40,000 viewers.

Half of that amount are estimated to have watched Leicester City’s game against Aston Villa.

Last weekend’s games saw viewing figures increase, with 110,000 watching Liverpool against Sheffield United.

A further 140,000 watched Arsenal’s defeat to Leicester City on Sunday evening.

These figures come from BARB viewing estimates, with 5,300 households sampled and the figures extrapolated for the population.

Minsky points out that “sampling is very statistically sound and is considered a gold standard in the UK as well as globally for TV measurement.”

By contrast, Manchester United’s game against Chelsea on Saturday evening, which was on Sky Sports’ subscriber channels, averaged an audience of 1.7m viewers.

The figures do not include BT Sport Box Office matches, which are not measured by BARB.

Both Sky and BT Sport have declined to share viewing data themselves.

The Mirror have reported that both broadcasters are keen to scrap pay per view games due to how unpopular they are with fans.

It is worth noting that, because BARB estimates viewing figures rather than households watching things, not all of those viewers will translate into subscriber payments.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/viewing-figures-revealed-sky-box-19169565

Archived