IGNORED

"Bristol City's Dean Holden: 'I know there was a clamour for a bigger name'"

SinéadB

7 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree but, at the same time, I think Holden is doing a really good job of making himself likable to the fans.

Obviously he still needs to get results, and his lack of experience will be weaponised if he loses games, but the fact that he's as direct and open as he is has certainly made me warm to him and I'm sure I'm not alone on that. Even with Tuesday, it was an awful performances but the fact he made very clear he shared that view rather than pretended he could see positives will help hold off some of that criticism. 

I feel the same. I wanted Chris Hughton and wasn’t happy about Dean Holden’s appointment but the straight talking is a refreshing change and I can forgive a lot when someone’s not making excuses and hanging individuals out to dry. Let’s hope he gives the players some straight talking and they respond positively against Swansea. 

9 hours ago, Prinny said:

Isn't he though? Why not? Because isn't that the outcome? How do you know his intent here? He doesn't have to take the interview, or cite the examples? What is he doing it for if not to promote himself?

Isn't the desire to have a beer with your family at the risk of endangering the safety of the players making it about him over the safety of the team? 

I think only winning gets you leeway. I do like Dean so far, but there's certainly stuff to have a go at here in this interview, if you want to.

If you took out the bit about the pub, and changed the names I wouldn't know who was being interviewed. Everything else is in the LJ wheelhouse.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think you are cynical of pretty much all of Holden’s actions from your posts.  I’m not saying you’re wrong and you’re right to raise questions, but there is a theme.  Maybe your just holding back (rightly so) before crystallising your position.  That’s fine.

Imho, but @Robboredis the man with the psychological profiling skills I believe, Lee self promotes because he is insecure, possibly the fear of not achieving more than his dad, who he thinks he is a far better manager than.

Dean is more confident in his own abilities to not have to worry about bigging them up.  He can focus / deflect any praise to his team (staff and players).

Whilst you could read the Holden interview and perhaps substitute LJ’s name in, you can’t do the opposite with an LJ interview and put Holden’s name in....see below.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/lee-johnson-interview-mourinho-guardiola-manager-bristol-city-b1073104.html

I'm sitting on the fence with this disagreement, except to say that the 3 Lions thing was undoubtedly PR from Holden and to an extent he conceals the fact in the Guardian story.

13 hours ago, mozo said:

I'm sitting on the fence with this disagreement, except to say that the 3 Lions thing was undoubtedly PR from Holden and to an extent he conceals the fact in the Guardian story.

Yes, it was rather spun as spontaneous when it was planned. And maybe name dropping Allardyce rather than Guardiola is another attempt to distance himself from LJ.

I like the man but I don't kid myself that he has given no thought to reinforcing a man of the people image.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Holden asked Paul Nicholls if his job affected family life who has been divorced 3 times?

the office television GIF

He ended up marrying someone from his stable....she was a right “nag” ?

For info, the Nichols and Jones meetings were with LJ, they aren’t things he’s done since LJ left

21 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That's 'im. Amazed you can remember!

Me an awl. Popped in there for a cheeky un about a 36month or so ago when I was up there for work. A boozer that, despite offering an array of drinks more likely than most to relieve you of your memory, will live long in the mind.

Can’t remember what I did about 10 minutes ago mind. . . 

On 23/10/2020 at 12:37, bcfcfinker said:

A good insight to the man.

I'd say that he's in a rather unique situation at the moment: No manager, that I'm aware of, has ever had the luxury of not having fans on their back while developing a team. He is a rather fortunate fella because in my mind, this takes quite a bit of pressure off. I'd say that this allows him to experiment a little to find his team and I hope that he uses this time wisely.

It would be good if they could do another piece in about a years time to see how, and if, his views have changed.

Karanka? Hughton? The next Brentford Boss, The new Bournemouth Boss, and quite a few more. In fact you could say the entire 92 since a manager, if he is any good, is always developing.

On 23/10/2020 at 13:01, Robbored said:

If it’s the same Ben Fisher on FB. He lives in Posset and supports both Arsenal and Bristol City........

Posset

A posset was originally a popular British hot drink made of milk curdled with wine or ale, often spiced, which was often used as a remedy.

Is it named after a place then?!

Or is it a euphemism for 'he talks a load of hot air' ?

4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Karanka? Hughton? The next Brentford Boss, The new Bournemouth Boss, and quite a few more. In fact you could say the entire 92 since a manager, if he is any good, is always developing.

Posset

A posset was originally a popular British hot drink made of milk curdled with wine or ale, often spiced, which was often used as a remedy.

Posset it what the folk who live around this area call Portishead.

12 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Posset

How many of the 92 are taking the lead in their first management job?

A FYI, not impressed with his appointment but he's here now (complaining about it is a waste of time). We now wait to see how well he performs over a season.
Incidentally, trying to assess him after just seven games is a waste of time because he could have just been lucky/unlucky (talking statistically i.e. we could probably have been manageress and still gotten the same results?).

Maybe the uniqueness of his situation will allow him to develop good insight. Alternatively, the lack of 'fan pressure' might be a bad thing because sometimes pressure is a good thing.

As a City supporter, I want him to do well irrespective of my first thoughts and I want him to prove me wrong.
But if he turns out to be a lemon, I want the head shed to take decisive action.

Archived