IGNORED

Swansea City (h) - 15:00 Sat 24th Oct - Matchday thread

8 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I don't have a crystal ball - but personally i've seen very little in any of our performances yet this season to suggest we can sustain a real top 6 push with a view to actually getting up.

As I say, we're a solid team, upper mid-table beckons, IMO. Too inconsistent, too many youngsters making mistakes that cost us games and not good enough in possession yet to boss games. 

(That said, as always I hope i'm wrong and to be fair, it could change if Walsh and Williams' returns make the difference we hope and Mawson's back from injury at some point.) 

Honest question. How do you think Swansea will do this season? 

You want to win your home games especially against genuine promotion contenders but 1-1 against Swansea will do for now. Much better than Tuesday night but still a lot of improvement needed to sustain our promising start. We need to pass quick throughout the game as we look a much better team when we do, and cut out those square passes across the midfield. Pato's loose pass cost us today. Brunt's controlled performance and Semenyo's energy were the pick for me. 

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Indeed, but Dean seems to have frozen Nagy and Massengo out. And Dean himself said Walsh was key to the way we want to play. He wanted Williams and then complained we had too many midfielders!

Not sure hes frozen them out - its a big squad and only so many places on bench. Rotation will be needed this season especially so when chance comes its on them to take it.

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Some of the comments on here are great, do some people see a different league table to me? Cause I see us 2nd with a 2 points per game average. Can’t be right though as it appears we’re bottom judging by the reactions 

One can look at it two ways. League table is positive.  We have been poor for 6 out of our last 7 halves of football which is negative and must be a worry for nearly everyone.  

I would be deemed a happy clapper for sure but when a manager seemingly cannot see things that are obvious it is a concern.

Win our next game and I’m sure it will look more positive but if we are poor for another two halves of football then the concern will continue 

16 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Not for long

It feels like a slide is coming after a superb start. A loss away at Bournemouth in midweek and it will be on. Hopefully the coaching team can realise that the wing backs of Hunt and Rowe is a better bet than the two youngsters, on todays performance, as I thought Dasilva was lacking match awareness. 

13 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Nagy and Massengo are both more than good enough to be involved IMO.

No idea about Walsh, but very wary that so many people on here have decided he's the saviour.

Williams I've not seen much of either but likewise there's a lot of hype.

What i said earlier about Walsh; have people been watching him while he was at Coventry? How the hec do we know what he will bring or do we simply accept what Dean has said about him and Williams which automatically relegates Nagy and HNM in the pecking order. I would for sure have at least one of them on the bench for Bournemouth.

15 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Some of the comments on here are great, do some people see a different league table to me? Cause I see us 2nd with a 2 points per game average. Can’t be right though as it appears we’re bottom judging by the reactions 

Didn’t you call one of our players a moron last week ?

We were top at that time....

5 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

But why only look at direction of travel in last couple of games? Take slightly longer view and our direction of travel is... second. 

Holden is a new manager. Time to figure out best team seems reasonable and a lot of places have been nailed down. That's progress. Weve lost once in league all season. But this thread reads like entire season is a write off. 

Second after 7 games is doing ok by any measure. Not sure what new managers have a perfect first 7 games in charge. 

That's because some of us have been here many, many times before

12 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Not sure hes frozen them out - its a big squad and only so many places on bench. Rotation will be needed this season especially so when chance comes its on them to take it.

When we are starting games with only one actual midfielder, neither of the two can get a place on the bench.

When your Head Coach decides O'Dowda is a better option than you, it may be time to get your agent on the phone.

5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

How the hec do we know what he will bring or do we simply accept what Dean has said about him and Williams which automatically relegates Nagy and HNM in the pecking order. I would for sure have at least one of them on the bench for Bournemouth.

What I would say is that many Championship sides buy the best of League 1 talent for their team. It often, but not always works. Walsh was player of the year for Coventry and exactly the sort of player we would target. The little I saw in a City shirt I was impressed, whether he will take the place by storm is another thing altogether.
I'm a bit pissed off that with Williams and Walsh doing a creditable Lord Lucan, how/why are Nagy and Massengo not around the first team. Again today we looked a player short in midfield. Brunt did OK but he lacks a bit of mobility and dynamism . I've said countless times I use him at CB. 

Good result I thought.  Not a great performance but Swansea are a decent team.  I think the final top 4 are lying in positions 3-6 currently.  I don't expect us to get any points from Bournemouth or Norwich so we will start to slide down the table.

People are being harsh on Paterson and Wiemann.  They can't really do much when the wingbacks are AWOL.  Sessegnon will be replaced per-force.  Hopefully, Rowe will be back for Dasilva.

Semenyo was the best thing about today.  I thought he was top-notch.

5 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Haven't thought too much about it and can't really comment on that after seeing them for one game - concentrating on us so far this season. 

Refreshing. Lots on here like to predict where other teams will finish after watching them play once, and indeed like to predict where we will finish before we’ve even played one game. Good on you ?

29 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

But why only look at direction of travel in last couple of games? Take slightly longer view and our direction of travel is... second. 

Holden is a new manager. Time to figure out best team seems reasonable and a lot of places have been nailed down. That's progress. Weve lost once in league all season. But this thread reads like entire season is a write off. 

Second after 7 games is doing ok by any measure. Not sure what new managers have a perfect first 7 games in charge. 

I think it is essential to look at the direction of travel continuously.

There is a real danger, as we have seen before, of convincing ourselves all is well because we are (insert position or points off desired position here). We were top, then second by 3 points, now the gap is 5 points, lose the next game and we will be at best third, if we don't win the next then 4th at best - and from what I have seen of our performances so far this season that is unfortunately a very real possibility.  

The problem with starting as well as we did is the direction of travel can only be downwards - my concern is it hasn't taken long for that to happen and Holden needs to do something to change it sooner rather than later.

An aside, I'm not sure Holden really counts as a new manager who needs time to figure out his best team. I would hope his knowledge of the squad and what they are capable of was one his strong suits in the selection process.   

5 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Might be favourites for a reason??? Thought COD good again when he came on. Must be pushing for a start. 

Where does he start? 
What is his best position because we’ve had plenty of time to watch him and I couldn’t tell you where his best position is, and I don’t see any value in us shoe horning him into a WB or CM role. 

1 minute ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Where does he start? 
What is his best position because we’ve had plenty of time to watch him and I couldn’t tell you where his best position is, and I don’t see any value in us shoe horning him into a WB or CM role. 

Personally, CM ahead of Weimann. 

I do want to see Nagy and Bakinson together in league at some point or even Bakinson and HNM. But COD is playing well when he comes on so deserves chance if its a genuine squad game. 

Just now, the1stknowle said:

Personally, CM ahead of Weimann. 

I do want to see Nagy and Bakinson together in league at some point or even Bakinson and HNM. But COD is playing well when he comes on so deserves chance if its a genuine squad game. 

If COD starts a game in CM ahead of HNM or Nagy then it’s an embarrassment, how he still gets in the squad is baffling to me, a liability (as proven last week at Barnsley) who offers us nothing going forward. 
I’d imagine his stats for us- goals/assists etc wouldn’t make good reading, maybe a little Sunday job for @Davefevs to delve into!

Mixed bag today, in the end IMO a draw was a fair reflection of a game of few chances in which neither side really imposed themselves. 

Pros:

Better performance than in the week (really not too difficult to achieve)

ZV and AS had solid games

Bold decisions from DH with both the selection and the subs 

Got a point when it was starting to look unlikely

Cons:

Too much sloppy passing resulted in us giving the ball away cheaply (a recurring issue) 

Much too often our ball out of defence went to an opponent (a recurring issue) 

Injuries (a recurring issue) to AW and SS 

When we had four strikers on the pitch we didn’t get the ball into them enough

4 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

If COD starts a game in CM ahead of HNM or Nagy then it’s an embarrassment, how he still gets in the squad is baffling to me, a liability (as proven last week at Barnsley) who offers us nothing going forward. 
I’d imagine his stats for us- goals/assists etc wouldn’t make good reading, maybe a little Sunday job for @Davefevs to delve into!

An embarrasment to ..?

Hes a good player but very inconsistent. Looks like he's playing well. And must be doing better in training against Nagy and HNM to be making bench. 

Personally I'd love to see Bakinson and one of Nagy and HNM given a run as I think one of those combinations could work really well together. But if COD starts a game I definitely don't think it would be an embarrassment to anyone.

5 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Completely agree, I thought he was anonymous again and even fell over his own feet on one occasion. 

He’s had four years to prove himself and has failed to do so on far too many occasions. 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You want to win your home games especially against genuine promotion contenders but 1-1 against Swansea will do for now. Much better than Tuesday night but still a lot of improvement needed to sustain our promising start. We need to pass quick throughout the game as we look a much better team when we do, and cut out those square passes across the midfield. Pato's loose pass cost us today. Brunt's controlled performance and Semenyo's energy were the pick for me. 

I don’t think home advantage counts for much in these COVID days.  Home and away results seem to be balancing themselves out, which is hardly surprising.  14 points from 7 games is clearly promotion form, and if we’ve got 20 points after 10 games then I’ll be very happy.

Archived