IGNORED

Semenyo

daored

1 hour ago, daored said:

Fabulous 45 minutes, wants the ball, can hold it up, turn of pace and good strength.

Not sure if he’s a goal scorer but a really positive and impressive 45 minutes  

Yes, he’s an almost scorer according to radio Bristol. Just what we need!

4 minutes ago, swanker said:

Yes, he’s an almost scorer according to radio Bristol. Just what we need!

Offered more than Wells did against Boro'

Needs to gamble a bit on Martin's knock ons, issues being our balls into Chris have been ass the last few games.

He's showing occasional bit of talent, I don't think he has the legs for 90 mins.

When he runs at people he can beat them, and that's a rare skill.

However he needs to work on his partnerships, and his runs off the space and chances Martin creates. Couple of times he's very slow and stationary when if he put more effort in we'd have big opportunities.

So it's a mixed performance for me. It's almost as if he's a young player who needs development or something. It's not noticeably worse when he's on the pitch so keep playing him. His performances, and/or rather Nahki Wells generally abject play means we might as well.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

People maybe have to think about how he played in a poor side today overall, so not exactly being given a lot to work with. Yet making our penalty and our only real threat all game.

The penalty was made by Roberts bizarrely waving his legs in the air after he slipped.

Semenyo happened to be the player Roberts was marking.

Semenyo played decently, but to claim he made the penalty is OTT

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He still made it by running into the box fast. I am hardly saying he did something incredible to win it, but he did make it happen as I bet other players run in and that does not happen.

I could see what Roberts was doing, trying to be clever but a pretty dodgy ref luckily could see it was a clear foul.

This. His first thought when he got the ball was to drive for goal. He did Roberts who had to bring him down (and should have walked for a second yellow). Other than Andi Weimann he is probably the only player who would have drawn the foul there.

55 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He still made it by running into the box fast. I am hardly saying he did something incredible to win it, but he did make it happen as I bet other players run in and that does not happen.

I could see what Roberts was doing, trying to be clever but a pretty dodgy ref luckily could see it was a clear foul.

Might as well say Brunt won the penalty by directing the free kick where he did.

Any player would have made the run Semenyo did. He played well, but there's no need to invent reasons to praise him

A thread where I can be positive. 

We now have four, yes four Academy boys regularly in our starting line up and a couple more waiting in the wings.

All four have contributed to our league position even allowing them a couple or three costly howlers. But if they learn from those errors, it will improve their game.

A plus for Dean Holden.

He did well, surprised to see him start though as he usually makes more impact with his energy when coming on as a sub.

I'm not going to get too carried away. I thought Bakinson had looked great for a few games, then he looked awful against Boro for one reason or another. Our young players need careful managing, we can’t push them too hard.

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

He's showing occasional bit of talent, I don't think he has the legs for 90 mins.

When he runs at people he can beat them, and that's a rare skill.

However he needs to work on his partnerships, and his runs off the space and chances Martin creates. Couple of times he's very slow and stationary when if he put more effort in we'd have big opportunities.

So it's a mixed performance for me. It's almost as if he's a young player who needs development or something. It's not noticeably worse when he's on the pitch so keep playing him. His performances, and/or rather Nahki Wells generally abject play means we might as well.

Shaded it for my motm today, but against a generally low bar.

The pluses today for me were Vyner, Kalas, Brunt and Semenyo.  None of them outstanding, just better than their teammates and Semenyo shaded it. 7/10 was my highest mark.

Partnerships.  Good point.  Yes, he looks more confident when drifting into the wide channels.  Not quite got the combination of power, acceleration and pace to jink away from his marker in tight spaces centrally, but is good in the channels.  Linked well with Dasilva.  Buy didn’t link that well with Martin...and that’s an important partnership to foster isn’t it?  That might come with more minutes.

Decent contribution today.

Was the first half challenge a penalty (with Cabango), my screen buffered on the replay?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

He was excellent today, a bit fortunate with the penalty (though it’s not like we aren’t owed a few) but he caused them problems all game.

Thought Zak Vyner was very good again, too.

Promising from both of them.

I was impressed too with Semenyo today. Held the ball up well bringing others into play. That said he doesn't strike me as a goalscorer so can you really play him and Martin? 

I thought Vyner played OK until he committed for the goal and left his man. Too many errors that our costing us.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was the first half challenge a penalty (with Cabango), my screen buffered on the replay?

If that was the one when he went to the byline and tried to go past the defender toeward the goal, then I didn't think so. But I still screamed for it like I normally do, and berated the ref. Old habits etc ..

8 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I was impressed too with Semenyo today. Held the ball up well bringing others into play. That said he doesn't strike me as a goalscorer so can you really play him and Martin? 

I thought Vyner played OK until he committed for the goal and left his man. Too many errors that our costing us.

Thought the goal came more from a poor pass from Paterson, then some clever play by Lowe.

Zak is doing really well for me, lots of good decisions, some excellent defending & his pace is invaluable.

Not sure Antoine & Martin can ever be a regular pairing, no, but good options as part of 4.

37 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I just watched  Semenyo"s run into the box ten times....and still cannot make a definitive decisiom.  Makes you realise how difficult it can be to decide, I would say 60/40 in favour of a pen...meaning 6 out of 10 refs would have given it IMHO.

Defo seen em given.

tangle of legs, Semenyo advancing....good case?

I think the balance between Antoine today is “did he play well” vs “was he a threat”

In the first, my answer is undoubtedly yes. He was available, moved the ball well and didn’t look out of place. In the latter, my answer is no - i wasn’t confident at any case he’d score. It’ll come, he’s not there yet.

So, what today did was reinforce my view. Antoine is good, and his ceiling is higher than Fam/Nakhi etc. But he’s not there yet, and if we want development we may need to wait..

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the balance between Antoine today is “did he play well” vs “was he a threat”

In the first, my answer is undoubtedly yes. He was available, moved the ball well and didn’t look out of place. In the latter, my answer is no - i wasn’t confident at any case he’d score. It’ll come, he’s not there yet.

So, what today did was reinforce my view. Antoine is good, and his ceiling is higher than Fam/Nakhi etc. But he’s not there yet, and if we want development we may need to wait..

There were a couple of instances very early in the game when he almost got into shooting positions, but wasn’t quite sharp enough.

Archived