IGNORED

Back to square one

Clutton Caveman

37 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Can anyone tell me how the performance of the last 2 games have been ANY improvement on the trash that LJ served up for 2 years

No direction

No urgency

No aggression

No purpose

Absolutely clueless

I guess that what we get when we take the cheap option, even Tinnion was critical

Your criticism is strongly worded. But while over-reaction and hyperbole are best avoided, I agree with the overall sentiment - two extremely disappointing and worrying performances. Two very boring matches as well. Saw quite a bit of that last season.

26 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

So it was down to the brilliance on DH that we got a penalty. Apart from that we didn't even look like scoring

Can you honestly say we looked like a well coached team today?

We had more more possession, more shots on target, more passes, more attacks, more "dangerous" attacks, less yellow cards and less offsides than a very decent Swansea team - and you want to slate our manager...? 

1 minute ago, Clutton Caveman said:

My god, so if we pay £10 to watch we have to applaud politely and say well done boys

If you remember for the last 2 seasons some people on this forum were crying out for change from the boring dross that LJ served up, whilst others said we should be patient.

Look what happened. Did anything improve?

I have watched City for 53 years.

Some games we win some we lose. But surely the least we can ask for is to be entertained and to see some method in our play. I am really concerned that the last 2 performances were so similar to the last 2 years. If we have attacked like crazy and been caught on the break OK but I fear so much that DH and the team are falling back into a well worn rut. 

Can you not see how these performances were just like last year but with some different players.

You clearly have made up your mind that this is so. Again you are making no allowance for the quality of the opposition or the amount of time in the role. Very few managers will have teams playing at their optimum in 7 games, even your probably preferred "big name". Try the more positive view, we have 14 points from our first seven games, whilst still learning to play the way the new team want and waiting for two of our more exciting midfield players to return to fitness. 

19 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

why just the last two games, what another muppet. At the end of the season do the 44 preceding games count or is it just the last two. You sound like the same muppets that, when LJ was on a winning streak, one defeat suggested we were then on a losing streak. Soon, you'll be judging the seaon by 45 mins spells.

2 points out of 9 aint great, but no defeats and 2nd after 7 is reasonable, isnt it? Simple question

I'll answer it for him. For years people would say look at our position under LJ , how can you moan. I moaned because it was obvious where we were going.

Now I'm still willing to give DH time, and that is after being one of the biggest critic of his appointment BUT what I've seen so far doesn't feel me with much hope. Fingers crossed it improves. I'm hoping Williams and Walsh will be a massive improvement in midfield.

5 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

My god, so if we pay £10 to watch we have to applaud politely and say well done boys

If you remember for the last 2 seasons some people on this forum were crying out for change from the boring dross that LJ served up, whilst others said we should be patient.

Some games we win some we lose. But surely the least we can ask for is to be entertained and to see some method in our play. I am really concerned that the last 2 performances were so similar to the last 2 years. If we have attacked like crazy and been caught on the break OK but I fear so much that DH and the team are falling back into a well worn rut. 

Can you not see how these performances were just like last year but with some different players.

Its fine for you to have an opinion but your wrong. Every team has bad games.

If you've been watching football for atleast 53 years surely your not that ignorant to know that.

Just now, Port Said Red said:

You clearly have made up your mind that this is so. Again you are making no allowance for the quality of the opposition or the amount of time in the role. Very few managers will have teams playing at their optimum in 7 games, even your probably preferred "big name". Try the more positive view, we have 14 points from our first seven games, whilst still learning to play the way the new team want and waiting for two of our more exciting midfield players to return to fitness. 

I get the impression he doesn’t want to see things that way.

I am thinking the same about the way we play. We play bad football around their box but we are decent until we reach the final third.

The defence is quite reasonable, we could avoid Boro defeat, both teams looked bad, a 0-0 could be the fair result. We got a draw at Barsnley due to a referee mistake, that fault was outside, not a penalty.

We did 1-1 today, we played bad but we canceled Swansea pretty good, I think we deserved to win 2-1.

So, with 2 less mistakes we could have 5 wins and 2 draws by playing bad football into the attack, that means we can improve. It is too early to judge DH, I don't trust him that much but I m willing to wait a few more months before I make some conclusions.

Let's wait and see what happens. Maybe DH will get better and will learn how to make better attacking plays.

We haven’t even played 10 games yet.

Patience they say is a virtue.  I, for one, am quite happy with the season so far, given the number of injuries we have carried.

I also think the whole area of infield tactics is being better handled, in advance and during the game.

How bold was switching to a 3-3-1-3 formation.  We got a penalty because, in my opinion, we were pressing hard inside the box, which we weren’t under the formation we started with.  That seems good game management.

Still feel we will be ok because I never expected us to be pushing for promotion, indeed I feared the opposite looking at the times we have been in this league during my 70 years of supporting City (with, of course, the one glorious exception).

Holden is learning, and seems to be doing ok.

4 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

You were really impressed with us? 

I'm impressed that we are 2nd in the league and just competed evenly (more than) with a team that are likely to be there or there abouts this season, despite serious injury interruption and absence. Yes. 

44 minutes ago, eardun said:

Yes I can. We would have lost today’s match last season. Important we stop the losing runs of LJ’s tenure; we did today 

I think his point is more in the direction of performance,are we any more attractive to watch than under lj then it has to be no and to be brutally honest have we deserved any win we have had so far,a wins a win will be the answer I guess 

It wasn’t the best performance but Swansea is a good team that pass the ball well. Last night I watched Forrest v Derby and Derby was in control in the first half. At half time Chris Hughton changed things and Mick McCarthy gave him a lot of praise for the changes. Today Dean Holden left the changes a bit later, and some were forced by injuries, but he should be given some praise as well. He could have gone with like for like substations but instead changed it completely.  (I couldn’t work out exactly what it was, when watching, so I’m glad I heard  Gary Owers tell me it was 4-2-1-3 on Radio Bristol)

Being honest I think we are overachieving with the midfielders we have currently have available. I really hope that Williams and or Walsh will just give the team the midfield boost we need to push on again.

I have no faith in either Nagy or Massengo so if the Walsh/Williams introduction doesn't work out then I fear we may be looking at a real slide down the table.

Still, we are second after 7 games though, I'd much rather be where we are than where Derby, Forest etc are.

10 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

We haven’t even played 10 games yet.

Patience they say is a virtue.  I, for one, am quite happy with the season so far, given the number of injuries we have carried.

I also think the whole area of infield tactics is being better handled, in advance and during the game.

How bold was switching to a 3-3-1-3 formation.  We got a penalty because, in my opinion, we were pressing hard inside the box, which we weren’t under the formation we started with.  That seems good game management.

Still feel we will be ok because I never expected us to be pushing for promotion, indeed I feared the opposite looking at the times we have been in this league during my 70 years of supporting City (with, of course, the one glorious exception).

Holden is learning, and seems to be doing ok.

That was last chance saloon tho with those tactics,shouldn’t be in that situation to start with if you get your starting tactics right which was my main gripe with LJ

1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Can anyone tell me how the performance of the last 2 games have been ANY improvement on the trash that LJ served up for 2 years

No direction

No urgency

No aggression

No purpose

Absolutely clueless

I guess that what we get when we take the cheap option, even Tinnion was critical

You must be one of the ‘melts’...............:rofl2br:

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm impressed that we are 2nd in the league and just competed evenly (more than) with a team that are likely to be there or there abouts this season, despite serious injury interruption and absence. Yes. 

Under LJ showed points tally mean jack shit this early. I'd rather be 10th playing positive football. Again  I don't want to be to negative, its early days and you right injuries are hampering us. I'm also really happy with the point today. Wasn't a great game and as soon as we conceded I thought that was that. Whether that was down to luck with the penalty or DH subs is arguable.

If you think our performance over the last 2 games is acceptable your eyesight must be worse that obscured, take of the rose tinted glasses and face it.

Same old same old

You've got to look at more than 2 games though, every team even the one who will finish top will have off-days, and in the end we didn't lose to one of last season's play-off teams, and there's only one team in the league doing better than us so far.

10 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Under LJ showed points tally mean jack shit this early. I'd rather be 10th playing positive football. Again  I don't want to be to negative, its early days and you right injuries are hampering us. I'm also really happy with the point today. Wasn't a great game and as soon as we conceded I thought that was that. Whether that was down to luck with the penalty or DH subs is arguable.

We are the joint 3rd highest scoring team in the division at present and finished the game with 4 Centre forwards on the pitch. 

Were aren't 10th, we are 2nd, and we aren't playing negative football. 

Today was a decent point against a good team. 

People said at the start of the season that our wins were against weaker teams, let's see how we do against better teams. 

Bar a collamoutous individual error, we'd still be unbeaten in 7 games. Granted, we've got more tough ones coming up, but so far, so good imo. 

33 minutes ago, 054123 said:

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

The middle is currently a lot of where our problems lie - as in midfield. 

By and large we’ve struggled, in my eyes, with the balance / personnel in the middle of midfield. Perhaps since the title league winning team. This wasn’t properly addressed by LJ and at the minute by DH, although injuries have not helped. I feel Weimann has been shoehorned in to this as a temporary measure. Hopefully we can hang in there until Williams is fit. That said, I remain unconvinced on Paterson. 

51 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It wasn’t the best performance but Swansea is a good team that pass the ball well. Last night I watched Forrest v Derby and Derby was in control in the first half. At half time Chris Hughton changed things and Mick McCarthy gave him a lot of praise for the changes. Today Dean Holden left the changes a bit later, and some were forced by injuries, but he should be given some praise as well. He could have gone with like for like substations but instead changed it completely.  (I couldn’t work out exactly what it was, when watching, so I’m glad I heard  Gary Owers tell me it was 4-2-1-3 on Radio Bristol)

It’s interesting listening to both RB & Talksport2 who both covered the game, that they didn’t think either team were poor. They seemed to think it was quite exciting with City shading it in the first half & Swansea for the first 20 mins of the 2nd half. 

No direction

No urgency

No aggression

No purpose

Absolutely clueless

Nurse Ratched!!!

5 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

One loss in 7, 2nd in the league. Are you lot having a ******* laugh? Jokers absolute jokers

Exactly. Now I'm no mathmetician, but I'll hazard a guess that 14 points from 7 is 2 points per game. Promotion form. 

On a realistic note, considering all our injuries, second place is terrific and let's see what the next 3 tough fixtures bring.

Patience. Work in progress.

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

No direction

No urgency

No aggression

No purpose

Absolutely clueless

We came up against a team that is likely to be top 6.

We played a team that changed their shape pre-game to be more defensive because they were playing City (3412 to 352), playing an extra holding midfielder.

We gifted them their goal - well taken though....and they sat in even more to stop us after that.  It’s quite difficult to break down when a team put men behind the ball.  You know that though!

We worked the ball up the pitch pretty well, using Brunt....but we did lack cutting edge.  Our best play came from Semenyo in the channels.

We aren’t at full-strength, that’s a fact.  Others teams contend with this too, but it’s unusual to have so many injuries this early in the season.

I saw plenty of purpose, we built attacks.

Clueless? We drew 1-1 in a game where we weren’t outplayed.

Are you expecting 4-0 every week?

You have to realise that you are in the "on the outside brigade looking in"....only the favoured few are allowed to make the comments you have and get away with it.

Boring dross is....

having 57% possession but never getting over the halfway line

Boring dross is....

passing it back and forth across the back line for ages then knocking it back to the keeper to pump a hopeful ball forward

we don’t do any of that under Holden.  There is method, purpose.  You might not enjoy it, today wasn’t “exciting”, but it’s a hard fought game where we shared the spoils not just in terms of points.

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Same old same old

Since getting back into the Championship it seems every season, City will be doing well, than an international break occurs and it all falls apart. This season, won the opening four  league games, had a break and two draws and a home defeat.

Last season, that Covid break had the same result;  going well and play off material. Season resumes and we drop down the table.

Archived