sglosbcfc

Assuming the injured players remain out, I'd go with -

Bentley

Moore Kalas Vyner

Rowe Bakinson Brunt Hunt

Patterson 

Martin Wells

Subs O Leary Dasilva Nagy Massengo Diedhou Semenyo AN Other 

I think that gives us a solid base at what will be a tough venue. I would look to replace Brunt and Martin with Nagy and Diedhou on 60 mins when I'd expect their legs to be feeling it.

14 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Bentley 

Vyner Moore Kalas 

Hunt Bakinson Nagy Dasilva 

Paterson 

Wells Diedhiou 

O’Leary, Rowe, Sessengon, Massengo O’dowa, Weimann, Martin. 

I like that team but not sure Sessegnon will be available. I would also choose Martin over Fam at the moment unless he needs a rest.

28 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Bentley

Moore Kalas Vyner

Rowe Bakinson Brunt Hunt

Patterson 

Martin Wells

I think that gives us a solid base at what will be a tough venue. I would look to replace Brunt and Martin with Nagy and Diedhou on 60 mins when I'd expect their legs to be feeling it.

I see a 2-2 draw. Tough venues are now not tough venues under the covert restrictions as the larger clubs that did benefit from a massive home crowd of 20 or 30 K does this mean that it doesn’t matter if you are home or away this season. This season will result in a top six that can play in any environment with out the influence of a massive crowd and vocal support. I think this will benefit us this season and I see a definite top 6 finish.

13 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I would go with

Bentley

Hunt. Moore Kalas Dasilva

HNM  Bakinson Brunt

Semenyo. Martin. O’Dowda

I like this, there’s a good balance to that side. Round pegs in round holes.

Bakinson could drop in to almost make it a back three when the full-backs get  forward, Semenyo in the role he played so well for Newport, COD in a role that suits him. Makes sense with the players available.

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Bentley

Moore Kalas Vyner

Rowe Bakinson Brunt Hunt

Patterson 

Martin Wells

I like this - I agree that we`re unlikely to see Sess or Andi on Wednesday and by my reckoning that squad is everyone who`s fit!

The only things I might change are HNM or Nagy for Pato and Jay for Tommy Rowe.

Personally think we need to sort the midfield for the game against Bournemouth I don't feel that confident getting a result there bakinson has to come back in brunt slotting in left central and maybe Nagy right side.. Paterson needs to come out weimanns injured.

Bentley 

Moore    kalas  vyner

hunt.                                   Dasilva

Nagy Bakinson brunt

Martin     Wells

Brunt and dasilva getting an understanding down the left dasilva overlapping.With Nagy and hunt doing the same down the right, but also mixing it up through the middle Nagy and brunt finding those passes with bakinson holding and bombing on down the centre.

We just need more control in the midfield start controlling the game but more consistently.Left centre back position is still a weak link at the minute with injury.

Obviously Williams and Walsh would be my preferred midfield with bakinson.

24 minutes ago, Super said:

If we dont have a proper midfield we will get a hiding.

Same as any team.

We are now playing a better midfield than LJ put on the park in November, December and January.

There are other factors we need to take on board, still in second place, one of the best goal keepers in the league, we have some of the best international players in the league, we have a new manager and the last 8 or 10 I think the points achieved have been excellent.

we have great support, we have the best stadium and infrastructure in BS3 and we can only go forward and not back wards.

the last month or so with our five or so wins and all of a sudden a loss and a draw seems to have bought some negativity on most. However we still do not know who are the good teams and the bad teams in this league and its still to earlier to make the call if we are a genuine contender for promotion. I think we are and this is the year and season that will go down in the history books of Bristol City getting promotion to the prem.

we were there in the 70,s and those years will never be forgotten.

Think we must be very close to Martin needing a break.

He has looked like he is struggling in the last 2 games for me & it is the one area we have everyone fit.

Apart from at LWB with Sessegnon & the 2 centre backs out, the back five picks itself now, so the only real decisions are who plays up front & in midfield.

So assuming Sessegnon and Weimann are out:

Bentley

Hunt / Vyner / Kalas / Moore / Dasilva

Bakinson / Brunt / Massengo

Semenyo / Wells

Do I think Holden will do this?  Nope.  I think Paterson will play instead of Massengo, and Martin will start for one of the two strikers.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Semenyo / Wells

Do I think Holden will do this?  Nope.  I think Paterson will play instead of Massengo, and Martin will start for one of the two strikers.

I'd like to see that. Martin hasn't done anything wrong, but a bit of a freshen up might help. Think that midfield is sensible and that pairing might really benefit Massengo.

I think we have to persevere with Wells. He may do nothing for 89 minutes but he's a goalscorer and will keep scoring once he hits form. He's out of form at the moment and still scoring (albeit a penalty yesterday). 

The issue I'd have with that selection is chance creation. Brunt is definitely capable of it, but the midfield would really need to take responsibility for that.

i would defintely retain Sememyo in the side, it's no good putting him in for the odd game, he needs a run of games.  If he is not playing well, he can always be replaced from the bench, but he deserves the chance to have a few games to bed in to the side.  We will need a strong midfield, so Wiemann being out might be no bad thing........shame Morrell the international is not around?  

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

My concern is that Dean says he stumbled across this formation with Weimann and Paterson by accident and now seems absolutely tied to it. Either he can see it not working and is just hoping it will or he cannot see it’s not working. Either one is a worry 

The formation is fine, the two players who were good in it early on have lost form / been sussed out / stopped doing the things that made it work / found it harder against better teams / combination of all of those.  Dean has said he liked the 352 used early last season, so “stumbled” seems an odd word for him to use, I’ve heard him say he thought it was the best system for the players several times too.

Formations don’t win games, players do....or else everyone would play the same system.  The system allows us 3 in midfield (a common complaint in the past) and two up top (another complaint in the past).

I genuinely don’t believe Dean saw a CM3 of Bakinson / Weimann / Paterson being his go-to three this season, with Williams and Walsh often mentioned by him....but it is what it is, and it’s got us to 2nd place (false position probably) but importantly 14 points from 7 games.  Performances have dropped a bit, but we have played better / different types of opposition in the last 2/3 games, so I don’t see that as too surprising.  I accept that we should’ve been better in the last 2 games in some aspects of our play, and I think that is because Paterson and Weimann have been poor(er) in those games....or made to look poorer by better opponents.

That bit needs a freshen up.  With Weimann more than likely injured it’s gonna be.  We might see Paterson rested too.

When we come through these next two games I think we will have played a good cross section of teams and styles in this league and we can judge better where we are.  

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The formation is fine, the two players who were good in it early on have lost form / been sussed out / stopped doing the things that made it work / found it harder against better teams / combination of all of those.  Dean has said he liked the 352 used early last season, so “stumbled” seems an odd word for him to use, I’ve heard him say he thought it was the best system for the players several times too.

Formations don’t win games, players do....or else everyone would play the same system.  The system allows us 3 in midfield (a common complaint in the past) and two up top (another complaint in the past).

I genuinely don’t believe Dean saw a CM3 of Bakinson / Weimann / Paterson being his go-to three this season, with Williams and Walsh often mentioned by him....but it is what it is, and it’s got us to 2nd place (false position probably) but importantly 14 points from 7 games.  Performances have dropped a bit, but we have played better / different types of opposition in the last 2/3 games, so I don’t see that as too surprising.  I accept that we should’ve been better in the last 2 games in some aspects of our play, and I think that is because Paterson and Weimann have been poor(er) in those games....or made to look poorer by better opponents.

That bit needs a freshen up.  With Weimann more than likely injured it’s gonna be.  We might see Paterson rested too.

When we come through these next two games I think we will have played a good cross section of teams and styles in this league and we can judge better where we are.  

The formation isn’t fine I would say. We don’t have any width especially when pressed and there are gaps all over the pitch, but mainly in midfield.  

If teams have a good press then we fail to string five passes together, let alone create chances.  How is Dean going to get us playing against a pressing team? Will be interesting to see. 

If he carries on playing this way for another five games then it might actually be for the best.  It should prove if he is right or wrong.  At least then we will know either way.  

My main frustration is managers who cannot see the obvious. I’m really hoping Dean isn’t one of them.  

The fans aren’t there but we have more fans watching a higher percentage of games I’d say.  Will be interesting to see consensus after 5-6 more 5-3-2 games

He likes wiemann’s energy so I can see him starting O’dowda in his place. I wouldn’t personally but I wouldn’t be surprised. Is brunt fit enough to play back to back games ? Hopefully , thought he played ok yesterday . Surely massengo or Nagy has to come back into the squad. Really stretched now defensively with sessengnon injured. Don’t think he will but could Dean be forced into going to a 4 at the back 

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Semenyo / Wells

Nice combative midfield, do you think it's mobile enough getting forward? Seems DH likes to play quite direct when we can (not possession for possession's sake) - do you think those 3 would get up to support the front men quick enough? 

I wonder if a Wells/Semenyo partnership would find themselves often isolated and any deep lying opposition player will pick up most second balls that will inevitably drop from that front pair IMO. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

The formation isn’t fine I would say. We don’t have any width especially when pressed and there are gaps all over the pitch, but mainly in midfield.  

If teams have a good press then we fail to string five passes together, let alone create chances.  How is Dean going to get us playing against a pressing team? Will be interesting to see. 

If he carries on playing this way for another five games then it might actually be for the best.  It should prove if he is right or wrong.  At least then we will know either way.  

My main frustration is managers who cannot see the obvious. I’m really hoping Dean isn’t one of them.  

The fans aren’t there but we have more fans watching a higher percentage of games I’d say.  Will be interesting to see consensus after 5-6 more 5-3-2 games

He's in a bit of an interesting situation with the formation in my opinion. He has actively recruited for the formation as far as I can see which limits our options.

We don't have a huge amount of natural attacking wingers which is where usually we might be able be a bit versatile. We only really have O'Dowda although Weimann and Semenyo can 'do a job' there. 

Recruiting specifically for a 5-3-2 worked for Cotterill, I don't know if we have the squad depth and quality to mainly use a 5-3-2 for the entire season. 

I suppose we could play a version of a 4-3-3 but it would require Walsh and Williams to come back from injury giving us more CM options in my view.

I was never hugely comfortable with Weimann and Paterson in a midfield 3. It was right to persist with it whilst we were winning, but to me it felt unbalanced and would eventually get found out.  

2 hours ago, Street red said:

Bentley 

Moore    kalas  vyner

hunt.                                   Dasilva

Nagy Bakinson brunt

Martin     Wells

Like this very much...

Would bring on Weimann for the last 25 up top with either Martin/Wells to pull them around with his energy..

3 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Like this very much...

Would bring on Weimann for the last 25 up top with either Martin/Wells to pull them around with his energy..

Absolutely play weimann where he's most dangerous and his energy off the bench , Martin and wells do play off each other most probs because of experience..I'd like to see more passes from Central left to right (tinnion to murray days) from brunt as well,We are so missing this mixing of play instead of going direct when the original plan doesn't work.

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We could really do with Williams being fit, or play Bakinson in the holding role.

Having Walsh's creativity would be damn useful too.

Another 2 weeks again is it? :(

Bit worse than that 

DH said post match doesn’t expect them to be in contention until after the next International Break !

Archived