IGNORED

Diedhiou equals carnage .

Major Isewater

When Famaral came on yesterday he created chaos . He was agressive and positive.

The ball was bouncing off him and nobody ,least of all those wearing red, knew where it was going.

FD is the perfect antidote to sports science and statistics. He introduces the incalculable.

What à breath of fresh air from the big man.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

When Famaral came on yesterday he created chaos . He was agressive and positive.

The ball was bouncing off him and nobody ,least of all those wearing red, knew where it was going.

FD is the perfect antidote to sports science and statistics. He introduces the incalculable.

Famaral..........is that the Bristle spelling Major?  ??

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If we start Diedhiou in any games then I'd like to see him up top on his own. Semenyo wide left and O'Dowda wide right in a 343. Plenty of pace and power on the flanks with Diedhiou occupying the defenders.

Agree completely, can't stand all this tippy tappy football no finer sight in football than a winger skinning a fullball back then delivering a pin point cross for the centre forward to rise majestically and power a bullet header  past the hapless keeper.

Alas this seems consigned to the dustbin of history, Bayern Munich excepted and what have they ever won

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Do you write for Viz in your spare time Major?

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes agree. But the team did not seem to find him with the ball enough or feed of his anarchy creation 

Agree, we left so many diags short.  Although they may have got to their intended target, they were a result of Diedhiou having to peg it back short to make something of it.  That’s really difficult to do anything with.  On Tuesday we saw him win headers because he was able to get a bit of run onto the diagonal.  It’s a bit of a crime to to leave balls like that short.

From a stats perspective O’Dowda gets a 1/1 for the “pass”, yet Diedhiou gets a 0/1 for the aerial duel, when actually he could do nothing with the pass to him in the air.  Root cause = poor diagonal.

We saw what happens when you get the ball into a position which doesn’t require the player to come towards goal, e.g. Brunt free-kick to Semenyo > penalty.

Thats something Callum can learn from Brunt, especially when he’d worked the ball onto his stronger foot like he had yesterday.  He’s got to deliver better.  If he was swinging his right foot at it I’d give him some leeway.

Dasilva can be culpable for the same thing.  He tends to aim for an area rather than an actual target.

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Agree completely, can't stand all this tippy tappy football no finer sight in football than a winger skinning a fullball back then delivering a pin point cross for the centre forward to rise majestically and power a bullet header  past the hapless keeper.

Alas this seems consigned to the dustbin of history, Bayern Munich excepted and what have they ever won

Yeh so miss seeing wingers all this attacking wingbacks is ok if they are good enough to attack

Diedhiou’s ball control reminds me of Kieran Agard. When he played for City the ball was forever bouncing off his shins. If we could bring him back to partner Diedhiou we would have the pinball wizards to confuse any defence. 

Pato made a good point a few weeks back when talking about his then good form. He said something like “When the ball goes up to the big man (Martin) you know it’ll stick so can be more confident in making those runs forward“.

You basically know what you’re gona get from him unlike with Fam. 

I do love Fam though. He must be a nightmare to play with but also against as so unpredictable. Useful weapon to bring on the hour for a shagged out Martin. 

4 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

Pato made a good point a few weeks back when talking about his then good form. He said something like “When the ball goes up to the big man (Martin) you know it’ll stick so can be more confident in making those runs forward“.

I do love Fam though. He must be a nightmare to play with but also against as so unpredictable. Useful weapon to bring on the hour for a shagged out Martin. 

Said similar with JD over Lloyd Kelly at LB under LJ.  Players made purposeful runs when the ball went to Jay, but held off with Lloyd.

3 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

The closest to this I've seen any time recently was a long throw from the left back powered home by our centre back!

3 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Bring back Alan Walsh and David Smith. Iconic wingers in my time watching the city mind 

On 25/10/2020 at 11:21, Abraham Romanovich said:

Bayern are an interesting one tactically, because though they use wingers- though I'd argue post Robbery (Robben and Ribery) less orthodox now than then- they may use wingers, Lewandowski bit less technical than some of the modern forwards, but for all that they dominate the ball most times- be it big games in the Bundesliga or CL games, they will tend to under Flick still have a fair amount of possession. Probably have a bit more physicality in the centre than some other big sides, or maybe physicality the wrong word but intensity?

Examples- I'll go with CL games under Flick as my example:

1. Olympiakos (H)- 69.7%
  2. Red Star Belgade (A)- 71%
  3. Tottenham (H)- 70%
  4. Chelsea (A)- 63.3%
  5. Chelsea (H)- 63.4%
  6. Barcelona (Over in Lisbon, mini tournament to end CL at end of last season)- 49.2%
  7. Lyon  Over in Lisbon, mini tournament to end CL at end of last season)- 65.8%
  8. PSG (The final- Over in Lisbon, as above)- 61.6%

None of those sides are mugs, some in particular are or can be strong opposition.

European Super Cup final vs a pretty good Sevilla, who themselves are not shy in possession, ie are quite strong in that respect.

64.6%

This season to date- and dunno if they've had Covid absentees, may have, know they sold Thiago which makes a difference in retention and control, ie less.

1. Atletico (H)- 58.6%
  2. Lokomotiv Moscow (A)- 64.4%

Don't think they have a possession obsession certainly, but control and bossing the ball even vs strong opposition? Definitely capable! Better than most in possession IMO.

On 25/10/2020 at 13:32, redcherryberry said:

Nail on head, should not be starting ahead of Martin, Wells or Semenyo for me. Always puts in loads of effort but technically is just not very good - except oddly for winning defensive headers at which he is brilliant!

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Nail on head, should not be starting ahead of Martin, Wells or Semenyo for me. Always puts in loads of effort but technically is just not very good - except oddly for winning defensive headers at which he is brilliant!

I think it’s all about trying to conserve the fitness of our ‘ best ‘ players .

Famaral is not as good as Martin at hold up play or as clinical as Wells . In fact this is probably the only time you will see ‘Famaral’ and ‘ clinical ‘ in the same sentence, bless him. He does have a lovely smile though.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bayern are an interesting one tactically, because though they use wingers- though I'd argue post Robbery (Robben and Ribery) less orthodox now than then- they may use wingers, Lewandowski bit less technical than some of the modern forwards, but for all that they dominate the ball most times- be it big games in the Bundesliga or CL games, they will tend to under Flick still have a fair amount of possession. Probably have a bit more physicality in the centre than some other big sides, or maybe physicality the wrong word but intensity?

Examples- I'll go with CL games under Flick as my example:

1. Olympiakos (H)- 69.7%
  2. Red Star Belgade (A)- 71%
  3. Tottenham (H)- 70%
  4. Chelsea (A)- 63.3%
  5. Chelsea (H)- 63.4%
  6. Barcelona (Over in Lisbon, mini tournament to end CL at end of last season)- 49.2%
  7. Lyon  Over in Lisbon, mini tournament to end CL at end of last season)- 65.8%
  8. PSG (The final- Over in Lisbon, as above)- 61.6%

None of those sides are mugs, some in particular are or can be strong opposition.

European Super Cup final vs a pretty good Sevilla, who themselves are not shy in possession, ie are quite strong in that respect.

64.6%

This season to date- and dunno if they've had Covid absentees, may have, know they sold Thiago which makes a difference in retention and control, ie less.

1. Atletico (H)- 58.6%
  2. Lokomotiv Moscow (A)- 64.4%

Don't think they have a possession obsession certainly, but control and bossing the ball even vs strong opposition? Definitely capable! Better than most in possession IMO.

Always look at Man City in possession stats.  70/30 in PL means they only have to defend 27 minutes (crude analogy).  In CL if it’s 50/50 then that’s 45. I used to defend.  That’s 66% more defending....which they’re nit used to.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Winning a defensive header where you don’t need to worry about where it goes, as long as you win it is tonnes easier that trying to win it against a CB coming onto the ball and you’re trying to direct it.

In my last days of playing I played CF (as the target man).  I told my strike partner to make his runs directly behind me, as I’d always try to flick behind me.  That’s ok in County League football, but it’s a bit basic in the Champ!

People saying Diedhiou is talentless are getting a bit carried away. 

For example he nearly scored a lovely goal against Bournemouth by creating a chance for himself. The ball was dropping to him on the edge of the box and he took a perfectly timed and weighted touch to take him past the defender and into the area, before his shot was saved. 

We've seen loads of times that he can display good footwork and control to hold manoeuvre his way around defenders.

His big problems for me is inconsistency and inflexibility within different systems. That's why I wouldn't start him.

He's not rubbish though and has been a good servant as they say.

On 25/10/2020 at 10:34, JonDolman said:

If we start Diedhiou in any games then I'd like to see him up top on his own. Semenyo wide left and O'Dowda wide right in a 343. Plenty of pace and power on the flanks with Diedhiou occupying the defenders.

Would be worth a try but I dont get playing a left footer on the the right etc.. Watching O'Dowda trying to get down the flanks is difficult. Same for Semenyo. Play them on their natural side where they can comfortably get down the wing and comfortably cross the ball into the box for Diedhiou to attack.  Being on the opposite side can leave them looking and being awkward and less effective.

On 25/10/2020 at 13:32, redcherryberry said:

You would think that training 5 days per week you could teach a professional footballer to trap and shield the ball

Archived