IGNORED

Congestion charge to come in and cover the area surrounding the Gate.

Steve Watts

So the often mooted congestion charge is on its way with final consultation taking place.  What I cannot help but notice is how pointed it seems to be including the Gate inside the charging zone.  The main route to the Gate is included, but also the roads around the allotments and cricket ground, which would make it appear to be a full on assault on City fans. 

The second option includes the entire area surrounding and encompassing the ground, but strangely enough this option falls about a mile short of the Mem, an area which locals despair about traffic and congestion wise on matchdays.....

Now maybe I'm being paranoid, but...

Option 1

image.thumb.png.fbf187957b10c970740f67be026b5aaf.png

Option 2

image.thumb.png.bf9b637f8b0f0b58cd23f983944ba416.png

Think you may be being a bit paranoid to be honest my understanding taken from this article is as follows

Bristol City Council is proposing a diesel vehicle ban combined with a clean air zone charge to clean up the city’s air. The changes would see all diesel vehicles banned from a small area in the city centre and a larger charging zone for older, polluting commercial vehicles such as buses and taxis.

Private cars would be included in the small area ban but would escape a charge.

If they are approved by the council’s ruling Labour cabinet and accepted by government, the changes will be introduced in March 2021.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/congestion-zone-diesel-ban-council-3477818

With Marvin at the helm in my opinion March 2021 is probably a tad optimistic 

Just now, Abraham Romanovich said:

Think you may be being a bit paranoid to be honest my understanding taken from this article is as follows

Bristol City Council is proposing a diesel vehicle ban combined with a clean air zone charge to clean up the city’s air. The changes would see all diesel vehicles banned from a small area in the city centre and a larger charging zone for older, polluting commercial vehicles such as buses and taxis.

Private cars would be included in the small area ban but would escape a charge.

If they are approved by the council’s ruling Labour cabinet and accepted by government, the changes will be introduced in March 2021.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/congestion-zone-diesel-ban-council-3477818

With Marvin at the helm in my opinion March 2021 is probably a tad optimistic 

We can get the tubes to the ground by then....... 

1 minute ago, Never to the dark side said:

There is nothing to stop a  temporary platform being constructive just before the fly over bridge.

Oh cancel that,

Parson street would be the loser.

The trouble with the Ashton Gate station is (as I understand it) that the much of the land the lines run/ran on is no longer owned by the railways or government.  There are a lot of legal hurdles to overcome long before anything can happen to open up something closer, either at the old station (wherever that was - before my time) or anywhere near.

Well after reading through that, I'd hope that option 1 (if it has to be one or the other) would be chosen. As my parents have now moved to Ashton Vale, it looks like they would come under the "zone", so a complete ban would see me coming into Bristol less and less as I drive a Kuga diesel (3 year old). Yes my wife has a newer car - Fiesta petrol, but I bought the Kuga for one simple reason - long distance breaks with a dog and a small child. We live in Essex, so whenever we come down it's not a simple case of throw a few things in the car and go, it's for a few days/week at a time. Fiesta or Kuga......

Also, how would a scrappage scheme of up to £2000 help the poorer residents/families? There are plenty of people that can't afford a newer car, so whether they are given £2000 or not, it isn't going to help them much if they're running a 15 year old car because that's all they can afford.

Having a ban/charge on diesel in the Centre is one thing, but to hit residential areas that far out takes the piss a bit.

Does this mean that parking will be easier for me and my Tesla?  Happy days! 

In all seriousness though, the club is surely involved in negotiations in this as it will have a decent impact on attendance.

Morally, the council cannot do this without supplying another viable option for fans.  If it takes 30 minutes to drive to Ashton Gate but 1.5 hours on public transport this isn't acceptable. 

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

There is nothing to stop a  temporary platform being constructive just before the fly over bridge.

Oh cancel that,

Parson street would be the loser.

The air pollution around Parson Street is some of the worst in the city, so no surprise that's included. 

43 minutes ago, Taz said:

Also, how would a scrappage scheme of up to £2000 help the poorer residents/families? There are plenty of people that can't afford a newer car, so whether they are given £2000 or not, it isn't going to help them much if they're running a 15 year old car because that's all they can afford

Fair point, but let's be honest, scrappage schemes are aimed at middle/upper middle income earners that are climate conscience and can help instigate the change needed, that will eventually filter down and benefit everyone in society. There should be a national scrappage scheme paid for by national government, given the shocking levels of air pollution in most UK cities. Unfortunately, as has been proven time and time again, this current government couldn't give a hoot about the health and well-being of the general public.

2 hours ago, Street red said:

So as a fan traveling from street Somerset how would that effect me regards to parking and driving into the area? It's that easy now but will this effect people travelling from outside? 

Unless you drive an old diesel bus or taxi, you'll be fine.

As @Abraham Romanovich points out in his post, private cars are exempt from charges. 

This is basically a reduced emissions zone as they've had in London and other cities for yonks.  It takes older, polluting HGVs away from the areas of the city with the worst air quality.

Banana Republic of Bristol...with the Galleries and Cabots  Circus like ghost towns.Business closed down ..Restaurants/Pubs ,Theatres Cinemas, all closing - etc etc ..as people decide to shop and play elsewhere, think of the lost income for the city in Council Tax Any business in central Bristol should think twice about the feasibility of staying in Bristol .Workers already pay an arm and leg to park every day -add another £10 a day Congestion Charge . Imagine Hargreaves Landsdown with several hundred staff suddenly up sticks and moved out ..£ms in lost business rates.

If SL turned round and pulled the plug on his £100m investment - loss of jobs,loss of business rates etc. ..

and here comes the punch ...Council Taxes rise to make up not only  for the loss...but the congestion charge applied to all the Council vehicles and public sector vehicles ....oh dear maybe all the Public Sector workers and vehicles will be excluded from the charge !!!!!! by then there will be no private sector left to pick up the bill.

5 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

Banana Republic of Bristol...with the Galleries and Cabots  Circus like ghost towns.Business closed down ..Restaurants/Pubs ,Theatres Cinemas, all closing - etc etc ..as people decide to shop and play elsewhere, think of the lost income for the city in Council Tax Any business in central Bristol should think twice about the feasibility of staying in Bristol .Workers already pay an arm and leg to park every day -add another £10 a day Congestion Charge . Imagine Hargreaves Landsdown with several hundred staff suddenly up sticks and moved out ..£ms in lost business rates.

If SL turned round and pulled the plug on his £100m investment - loss of jobs,loss of business rates etc. ..

and here comes the punch ...Council Taxes rise to make up not only  for the loss...but the congestion charge applied to all the Council vehicles and public sector vehicles ....oh dear maybe all the Public Sector workers and vehicles will be excluded from the charge !!!!!! by then there will be no private sector left to pick up the bill.

Yeah, because it's just Bristol where retail is struggling...the place where people are deciding to shop instead of the High Street is the internet. The article states that private individuals (i.e. workers) won't have to pay the congestion charge either...

What sticks in my throat is that Marvellous Marvin with first on a Twitter  trying to bask in the shared glory of the Bears European Win, then sticks the boot into Bristol Sport by ‘isolating’ Ashton Gate. 

We all know he’s a Saghead, but a bit blatant favouritism showing its hand (again) here.

Surprises me he hasn’t built his favourite team a 30,000 stadium paid for by Bristol taxpayers. Probably was all lined up under the auspecies of Bristol Energy - who had a tent at The Swamp - but then went belly up before they could deliver the stadium. He’ll now probably ‘hide’ the deal in some planning gain or as part of the Bristol Tube network. 

• Admin
6 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

So the often mooted congestion charge is on its way with final consultation taking place.  What I cannot help but notice is how pointed it seems to be including the Gate inside the charging zone.  The main route to the Gate is included, but also the roads around the allotments and cricket ground, which would make it appear to be a full on assault on City fans. 

The second option includes the entire area surrounding and encompassing the ground, but strangely enough this option falls about a mile short of the Mem, an area which locals despair about traffic and congestion wise on matchdays.....

Now maybe I'm being paranoid, but...

Option 1

image.thumb.png.fbf187957b10c970740f67be026b5aaf.png

Option 2

image.thumb.png.bf9b637f8b0f0b58cd23f983944ba416.png

Where is the detail of this online?

Edit:  Found it now, saying no diesel ban....

https://www.cleanairforbristol.org

4 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

So a nearly new private diesel car is banned while clapped old petrol cars puffing blue fumes are ok? Hmm. 

I may be wrong, but diesels post 65 reg are ok, pre are not. Is it called Euro 6 of something like that? At least that’s what our one in Birmingham is. 

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was thinking of chopping in my company car for a commercial Toyota hilux as the tax I pay on my Audi is obscene since they changed the way it’s calculated. I might have to rethink that if I have to pay every day to drive into Bristol.

In the same boat SJ.

We received our option list on Friday, with the emphasis on plug in hybrids. Sad to see the Audi go, but it looks like Mercedes AMGe 250 to replace it. Going to save a fortune in tax !

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was thinking of chopping in my company car for a commercial Toyota hilux as the tax I pay on my Audi is obscene since they changed the way it’s calculated. I might have to rethink that if I have to pay every day to drive into Bristol.

I ditched my diesel company car for a petrol version on pcp for that very reason saved me hundreds of pounds a month in tax.

As a delivery driver who covers the city centre daily, this is just another blow being delivered to it. The road closures of the old city plus Baldwin Street, coupled with that stupid cycle lane on Lewins Mead will kill most of the business’s down there. 

I’ve just bought a Diesel Mercedes, the road tax is £20 a year as the emissions are so low, I will be massively pissed off if I can no longer drive to Ashton Gate. Marvellous Marvin has somehow made Ferguson look like a competent mayor.

Archived