IGNORED

A view from afar - what do people think?

Bassomylord

After a long spell viewing all things OTIB Half Term has afforded me the time to relax and  contribute knowing I dont have work for the next week!!!

Firstly its great to see us sat 2nd in the table....despite my misgivings regarding the Holden appt you cant argue that, at the moment, the players are well on board.....but what has the start of the season REALLY told us?

Firstly, we arent an automatic promotion side and there are numerous reasons for this.

Firstly, and I appreciate this is negative, no side in this league will go up with Vyner and Moore playing regular football at this level.....both a good young centre backs, but both make too many COSTLY mistakes at this level.....I can see the justification of playing one....but not both.

The mistakes they have made have been dire, Vyner switching off at the corner and Moore trying to be Maradona not only cost goals but undo the excellent defending that preceded this.....to put it bluntly, they make BIG mistakes that COST goals. It remains an error not to add another CB to our ranks....not to stifle the production line but to get us to the promised land.....Mawson is mr injury and with Baker out long term we needed another CB, time to dip into the free market.

We will not get promoted with these 2 playing regularly TOGETHER. One....not both.

Secondly, do we have the tools? Bar Stoke I think we have flattered to deceive so far this season. Against Cov and SheffWed we held on for large parts.....and Forest was one of the least deserved wins since I've been watching us play, we nicked the games.....Stoke we were excellent. Some might argue that's the championship!!! And that is a fair point!!! 

On the plus side, there is far more structure to our play than under LJ, we show greater resilience and the players clearly know their roles....I just wish Holden would be a bit braver and sub the big men of Paterson and Weimann....two excellent players!!!! But everyone has an off day occasionally.....and when they are off, our midfield ONE struggle, and it's not surprising either.

Bakinson - what a find, but use him wisely.....we dont want another Massengo.....signs against Boro that he needs a bit of a rest? Or maybe just some support !!!

Looking forward to seeing William's and Walsh play.....disappointed to see Nagy seemingly out of the picture, I think he could be useful in this system with those above out injured......can dictate play provide an outlet and play forward balls.....him Bakinson and Brunt in the short term could be an exciting trio of CMs when Pato off his game.

Semenyo....strong as an ox, going to be hard to stop.....shame that his touch, passing and decision making looks a way off yet, IF he develops these could be some player, but st the moment very strong and direct.....but not much else.

A message to Dean and Mark....get a centre back in.....we need one, we cant rely on Vyner and Moore together too many mistakes that will cost us. 

Thanks for reading!!!

Lots of positives, Moore, Vyner, Bakinson, O’Leary, Semenyo. Sometimes you just have to accept occasional errors and let players develop.

Probably not promotion material, Who knows in this strange League, but at the moment, with no fan income, and the useless Government dragging it’s heels, Just getting through the season will suffice. 
It’s not real anyway, just a TV show.

Totally disagree with your Semenyo observations, if you want to look for shall we say not the best ball control and passing look no farther than Nahki, don’t forget AS played as a winger/wide front man at Newport and the we’re drooling about him, I don’t think he would have lasted long out wide with a bad touch.

i’m of the opinion to let AS have a few starts instead of Nahki, I’m sure we have a player on our hand here, and Chelsea wouldn’t offer £2 mill for no reason.

18 minutes ago, cidercity said:

Totally disagree with your Semenyo observations, if you want to look for shall we say not the best ball control and passing look no farther than Nahki, don’t forget AS played as a winger/wide front man at Newport and the we’re drooling about him, I don’t think he would have lasted long out wide with a bad touch.

i’m of the opinion to let AS have a few starts instead of Nahki, I’m sure we have a player on our hand here, and Chelsea wouldn’t offer £2 mill for no reason.

Just a little counter balance here , Who would you have preferred to have taken  the penalty v Swansea ?

It would be Wells without a doubt. 

We have a good balance of experience and rough diamonds being polished at our club.

I am happy that the youngsters are developing, making their mistakes, without numb nuts jumping on every single one.

A winning side has this mix and as time advances the youngsters are suddenly 100/200 pro games into their careers , becoming the experienced ones. 

The observation of Semenyo was probably the main thing I disagreed with.  He’s raw, he does things off the cuff.  He’s not had the full academy upbringing from a young age like most pros, so won’t always do the expected or be in the right position.  But he has something.  I think it was his Championship match sharpness that slightly let down the good play on Saturday.  Coming on in the last 20 minutes of games against tiring defences is more forgiving than from the first whistle.  He needs to start more games to give him that experience.  That’s not to say he has to start every game, or even tomorrow night, but he will benefit from getting starts than always being sub.

13 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

After a long spell viewing all things OTIB Half Term has afforded me the time to relax and  contribute knowing I dont have work for the next week!!!

Firstly its great to see us sat 2nd in the table....despite my misgivings regarding the Holden appt you cant argue that, at the moment, the players are well on board.....but what has the start of the season REALLY told us?

1)  Firstly, we arent an automatic promotion side and there are numerous reasons for this.

2)   Firstly, and I appreciate this is negative, no side in this league will go up with Vyner and Moore playing regular football at this level.....both a good young centre backs, but both make too many COSTLY mistakes at this level.....I can see the justification of playing one....but not both.

The mistakes they have made have been dire, Vyner switching off at the corner and Moore trying to be Maradona not only cost goals but undo the excellent defending that preceded this.....to put it bluntly, they make BIG mistakes that COST goals. It remains an error not to add another CB to our ranks....not to stifle the production line but to get us to the promised land.....Mawson is mr injury and with Baker out long term we needed another CB, time to dip into the free market.

We will not get promoted with these 2 playing regularly TOGETHER. One....not both.

3). Secondly, do we have the tools? Bar Stoke I think we have flattered to deceive so far this season. Against Cov and SheffWed we held on for large parts.....and Forest was one of the least deserved wins since I've been watching us play, we nicked the games.....Stoke we were excellent. Some might argue that's the championship!!! And that is a fair point!!! 

4)  On the plus side, there is far more structure to our play than under LJ, we show greater resilience and the players clearly know their roles....I just wish Holden would be a bit braver and sub the big men of Paterson and Weimann....two excellent players!!!! But everyone has an off day occasionally.....and when they are off, our midfield ONE struggle, and it's not surprising either.

5)   Bakinson - what a find, but use him wisely.....we dont want another Massengo.....signs against Boro that he needs a bit of a rest? Or maybe just some support !!!

6)    Looking forward to seeing William's and Walsh play.....disappointed to see Nagy seemingly out of the picture, I think he could be useful in this system with those above out injured......can dictate play provide an outlet and play forward balls.....him Bakinson and Brunt in the short term could be an exciting trio of CMs when Pato off his game.

7)  Semenyo....strong as an ox, going to be hard to stop.....shame that his touch, passing and decision making looks a way off yet, IF he develops these could be some player, but st the moment very strong and direct.....but not much else.

A message to Dean and Mark....get a centre back in.....we need one, we cant rely on Vyner and Moore together too many mistakes that will cost us. 

Thanks for reading!!!

Firstly, that's a lot of firstly's ?

1) I doubt anyone thought we were going to be automatic, with Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford plus Brentford and WBA it was always going to be a push for playoff's IMO. I agree with many in not seeing someone taking the division by storm, but that's a decent line up before you add Forest and (Wayne Rooney's) Derby (County #trademark).

2) Pretty much forced on us, and where do you draw the line at adding CB's ? Fully fit squad and it Mawson/Baker/Kalas and Vyner/Moore as back up or rotation. Add another and (apart from costs) it could be seen as blocking a pathway potentially . Plus ATM it's unattached players until Jan, when Baker should be fit.

3) I think we are working on a attack/defence balance as much as anything, DH will still be trying to get his ideas over. I've said a few times we won't see how good we are until we have some of the players back. 

4)  The big thing for me is the improved movement, we have at time in the last couple of games gone back to the bad old LJ days, people waiting for the ball or waiting for something to happen. Overall, I'd say we look better organised and better focused on what we are trying to do, still early mind. I only count from when he was announced officially as that's when he could start stamping his ideas on the squad and they knew it was for the longer term.

5) I think that's partly why he didn't come on the other night, and definitely why he didn't start. I expect to see him back, and probably along side Brunt, Vs Bournemouth.

6) I started to think of Williams and Walsh in the same way as Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny, be nice if they were real, but have yet to see signs.
     Potentially a brilliant pairing though.

7) To add to the points others have made I would add, it's a step up from where he looked good previously. Most strikers need time to acclimatise . His touch will become surer, his thought process quicker and his choices better. He just needs time and a run, I think Holden will give him that. He's already shown a nice neck of playing people in, so has vision, he just needs a chance to add goals, I think they will come.

Finally, enjoy your relaxing week off. :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

Firstly, we arent an automatic promotion side and there are numerous reasons for this.

Firstly, and I appreciate this is negative, no side in this league will go up with Vyner and Moore playing regular football at this level.....both a good young centre backs, but both make too many COSTLY mistakes at this level.....I can see the justification of playing one....but not both.

Secondly, do we have the tools? Bar Stoke I think we have flattered to deceive so far this season. Against Cov and SheffWed we held on for large parts.....and Forest was one of the least deserved wins since I've been watching us play, we nicked the games.....Stoke we were excellent. Some might argue that's the championship!!! And that is a fair point!!! 

On the plus side, there is far more structure to our play than under LJ, we show greater resilience and the players clearly know their roles....I just wish Holden would be a bit braver and sub the big men of Paterson and Weimann....two excellent players!!!! But everyone has an off day occasionally.....and when they are off, our midfield ONE struggle, and it's not surprising either.

Bakinson - what a find, but use him wisely.....we dont want another Massengo.....signs against Boro that he needs a bit of a rest? Or maybe just some support !!!

Looking forward to seeing William's and Walsh play.....disappointed to see Nagy seemingly out of the picture, I think he could be useful in this system with those above out injured......can dictate play provide an outlet and play forward balls.....him Bakinson and Brunt in the short term could be an exciting trio of CMs when Pato off his game.

Semenyo....strong as an ox, going to be hard to stop.....shame that his touch, passing and decision making looks a way off yet, IF he develops these could be some player, but st the moment very strong and direct.....but not much else.

Thanks for reading!!!

Good to read someone's first post being so informative.

These kind of posts in the past have been banned people returning. . . 

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Good, solid debut post....welcome to OTIB.  Lots of things to agree with there.

If only it was their debut post . . . .

You have summed it all up very well. I also had my reservations on Moore and Vyner when we were on our winning run. While they have been ok, they are not spectacular and would not be seen as a regular in a play-off chasing side at other clubs in this division.

Bakinson needs to be used sparingly, he is young and needs to be given a taste of first team football and plenty of time on the bench learning his trade at this level.

Semenyo maybe only thing I can disagree with, however for me he has shown a vast improvement to the player we had under Lee Johnson.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

You have summed it all up very well. I also had my reservations on Moore and Vyner when we were on our winning run. While they have been ok, they are not spectacular and would not be seen as a regular in a play-off chasing side at other clubs in this division.

Bakinson needs to be used sparingly, he is young and needs to be given a taste of first team football and plenty of time on the bench learning his trade at this level.

Semenyo maybe only thing I can disagree with, however for me he has shown a vast improvement to the player we had under Lee Johnson.

Thanks for the input. I do agree that he looks 10x better than he did last season. He is certainly more involved and very good at using his strength to brush off defenders.

For me his decision making needs to improve, he does a lot of good work and then undoes it with a poor pass or bad touch. 

He has csrtinaly improved though, could be a case of that first championship goal really kicking him on.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Firstly, that's a lot of firstly's ?

1) I doubt anyone thought we were going to be automatic, with Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford plus Brentford and WBA it was always going to be a push for playoff's IMO. I agree with many in not seeing someone taking the division by storm, but that's a decent line up before you add Forest and (Wayne Rooney's) Derby (County #trademark).

2) Pretty much forced on us, and where do you draw the line at adding CB's ? Fully fit squad and it Mawson/Baker/Kalas and Vyner/Moore as back up or rotation. Add another and (apart from costs) it could be seen as blocking a pathway potentially . Plus ATM it's unattached players until Jan, when Baker should be fit.

3) I think we are working on a attack/defence balance as much as anything, DH will still be trying to get his ideas over. I've said a few times we won't see how good we are until we have some of the players back. 

4)  The big thing for me is the improved movement, we have at time in the last couple of games gone back to the bad old LJ days, people waiting for the ball or waiting for something to happen. Overall, I'd say we look better organised and better focused on what we are trying to do, still early mind. I only count from when he was announced officially as that's when he could start stamping his ideas on the squad and they knew it was for the longer term.

5) I think that's partly why he didn't come on the other night, and definitely why he didn't start. I expect to see him back, and probably along side Brunt, Vs Bournemouth.

6) I started to think of Williams and Walsh in the same way as Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny, be nice if they were real, but have yet to see signs.
     Potentially a brilliant pairing though.

7) To add to the points others have made I would add, it's a step up from where he looked good previously. Most strikers need time to acclimatise . His touch will become surer, his thought process quicker and his choices better. He just needs time and a run, I think Holden will give him that. He's already shown a nice neck of playing people in, so has vision, he just needs a chance to add goals, I think they will come.

Finally, enjoy your relaxing week off. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply.

I disagree regarding the centre back situation simply because we knew Baker was out long term well before the season started.

That left us with Mawson Kalas Moore and Vyner competing for 3 places.....this obviously means that 1 injury decides our back 3.....that's not good for competition.....for me, and this is just my opinion, we need another CB to cover another injury (mawson) or loss of form.

I am all for blooding both Vyner and Moore but the target is promotion not mid table safety.....which is why we need another top CB to SUPPORT them.

3 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Thanks for the reply.

I disagree regarding the centre back situation simply because we knew Baker was out long term well before the season started.

That left us with Mawson Kalas Moore and Vyner competing for 3 places.....this obviously means that 1 injury decides our back 3.....that's not good for competition.....for me, and this is just my opinion, we need another CB to cover another injury (mawson) or loss of form.

I am all for blooding both Vyner and Moore but the target is promotion not mid table safety.....which is why we need another top CB to SUPPORT them.

It seems as if Holden was happy for Rowe to be cover....possibly Bakinson, and less likely Brunt.

11 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Thanks for the reply.

Out of interest, how do we afford this player and his wages, whilst we have no fan income? And how will we ever progress sustainably if we don’t allow players to develop?

We have a simple option of a back 4 with a holding midfielder in front.

43 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Out of interest, how do we afford this player and his wages, whilst we have no fan income? And how will we ever progress sustainably if we don’t allow players to develop?

We have a simple option of a back 4 with a holding midfielder in front.

Firstly I would say there is a difference between helping a player "develop" and them playing 90 minutes every game.....if either Vyner or Moore played 20+games this season the that is development.....as it is more than they will have played at CB previously.

Secondly, we sold Morrell so that frees up some finance.....and the fact is, despite no fan income, we still managed to sign the likes of Brunt and Martin, so it cant be that bigger factor.

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It seems as if Holden was happy for Rowe to be cover....possibly Bakinson, and less likely Brunt.

That though contradicts what dean and the club has said in regards to promotion. The op is right . We have very little chance of play offs imo with the current defence . If we’re not going to get a free agent centre half in , perhaps we have to go to a 4 and two defensive midfielders . 

1 hour ago, Bassomylord said:

Thanks for the reply.

I think as @Davefevs said, Holden is happy with the cover we have. TBF Vyner and Moore have big expectations and need games to see if they are the real deal. Our only options would be out of contract players, given that they would need time to get up to speed I doubt it's worth doing. That's if there is anyone available ( what's Ashley Williams up too ? ) .  

13 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

W.B.A wont be anywhere near the play offs this season.

I was sort of thinking before the season started, though I think you're right.

30 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Firstly I would say there is a difference between helping a player "develop" and them playing 90 minutes every game.....if either Vyner or Moore played 20+games this season the that is development.....as it is more than they will have played at CB previously.

Secondly, we sold Morrell so that frees up some finance.....and the fact is, despite no fan income, we still managed to sign the likes of Brunt and Martin, so it cant be that bigger factor.

Back to the bad old days? Keep on bringing in experience/ journeymen, blocking progression for younger players. Also, at the time of the signings, it was hoped to have fans back in early October, now we have no date, and are awaiting the clueless Dowden to do something, which looks unlikely.

37 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Moore had his 20+ last season.  That was his breakthrough....this season it was expected for him to challenge for regular inclusion.

We don’t know whether Morrell freed up budget, or whether it was a case of getting it back on track. Obviously the money for Morrell (and his wages) and Palmer helps, but we don’t know whether that allows Holden and flex to go and get someone in.

31 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

That though contradicts what dean and the club has said in regards to promotion. The op is right . We have very little chance of play offs imo with the current defence . If we’re not going to get a free agent centre half in , perhaps we have to go to a 4 and two defensive midfielders . 

Why would we have little chance of promotion with the current back 3....both Moore and Vyner have started every League game so far this season.  I get that it’s not ideal, but they’ve been as much a part of a decent overall start as any player(s).  And I agree we should look to get someone in....pending more / better news on Mawson and Baker.

I know it’s unlikely to be so, but Mawson could be a bit of lose cartilage, a small tear, that needs a quick tidy.  I’ve had that and was back inside 4 weeks.  I’ve had worse too. ?

Baker might be ahead of schedule?

We are right to speculate the worst, but we also need to give credit to the head-coach and staff to do what’s best within the budget allowed.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Moore had his 20+ last season.  That was his breakthrough....this season it was expected for him to challenge for regular inclusion.

We don’t know whether Morrell freed up budget, or whether it was a case of getting it back on track. Obviously the money for Morrell (and his wages) and Palmer helps, but we don’t know whether that allows Holden and flex to go and get someone in.

Why would we have little chance of promotion with the current back 3....both Moore and Vyner have started every League game so far this season.  I get that it’s not ideal, but they’ve been as much a part of a decent overall start as any player(s).  And I agree we should look to get someone in....pending more / better news on Mawson and Baker.

I know it’s unlikely to be so, but Mawson could be a bit of lose cartilage, a small tear, that needs a quick tidy.  I’ve had that and was back inside 4 weeks.  I’ve had worse too. ?

We are right to speculate the worst, but we also need to give credit to the head-coach and staff to do what’s best within the budget allowed.

Just the inexperience Dave that worries me with vyner & Moore. They’ve both cost goals this season . Even though you can’t call them young  in football terms , in experience at championship level they are.

I'm pessimistic with injuries, just because we’ve had so many long term ones over the last few years . It was the only nagging doubt for me before the window closed , that we may regret not getting another centre half in . 

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I seem to remember that Merrick and Collier took some time to be the stellar pairing they eventually were and big Cheese was awful until Alan Dicks got him back for one on one each afternoon.

I think we don't have the squad to go up this year and I don't think DH yet has enough experience.

I would be happy if we just established a positive way of playing this year with high tempo and lots of movement and let the players develop in that environment. If we lose some OK but lets play with some passion.

We wont go down and at the end of this crazy year we will have a far more experienced squad and we will know where we need to spend

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Just the inexperience Dave that worries me with vyner & Moore. They’ve both cost goals this season . Even though you can’t call them young  in football terms , in experience at championship level they are.

I'm pessimistic with injuries, just because we’ve had so many long term ones over the last few years . It was the only nagging doubt for me before the window closed , that we may regret not getting another centre half in . 

I don’t disagree, but I also think there is some resilience in the group and we need to get through to the international break and take stock.

Injuries have been a killer and Holden’s interview earlier pretty much confirms it’s not a 3/4 weeker.  We have to wait and see what the next steps are.

If he did bring in Shotton, you’d think by 21st November (Derby) he’d have a reasonable level of fitness to provide some cover.  The next 4 games it’s about hoping the 3 CBs stay fit and play well as a unit.  A good Swansea side didn’t cause us that many problems on Saturday in fairness.

Its tough being a fan when things like this happen, but it shows what a totally unbalanced squad Holden inherited.

If we do have to go to a back 4, I don’t see why it has to one with wingers....so I don’t believe we should bemoan them sale of Eliasson.  Our success so far has been built around having numbers in the middle of the pitch.  That can be retained even with a back 4.  You could go something like a 4132 (Brunt as the 1, Bakinson, flanked by Weimann and Paterson) and keep it narrow, whilst keeping two up top.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t disagree, but I also think there is some resilience in the group and we need to get through to the international break and take stock.

Injuries have been a killer and Holden’s interview earlier pretty much confirms it’s not a 3/4 weeker.  We have to wait and see what the next steps are.

If he did bring in Shotton, you’d think by 21st November (Derby) he’d have a reasonable level of fitness to provide some cover.  The next 4 games it’s about hoping the 3 CBs stay fit and play well as a unit.  A good Swansea side didn’t cause us that many problems on Saturday in fairness.

Its tough being a fan when things like this happen, but it shows what a totally unbalanced squad Holden inherited.

If we do have to go to a back 4, I don’t see why it has to one with wingers....so I don’t believe we should bemoan them sale of Eliasson.  Our success so far has been built around having numbers in the middle of the pitch.  That can be retained even with a back 4.  You could go something like a 4132 (Brunt as the 1, Bakinson, flanked by Weimann and Paterson) and keep it narrow, whilst keeping two up top.

This is true. We do have the personal to play with wide men, even though I agree it's not ideal.

O dowda brunt Paterson rowe can all play out there, but I agree it isnt an ideal scenario.

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally agree. I don’t think for a minute Dean will not play a midfield 3 in whatever formation he might have to turn to . 

Archived