IGNORED

AG Redevelopment latest

CyderInACan

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

https://www.ashtongatestadium.co.uk/development-plans/

Had the leaflet pop thru the door earlier about the latest consultation over the AG Sporting Quarter development. Obviously they're planning to push ahead and the housing site seems to have been changed from Cumberland Village to Longmoor Village and (unsurprisingly) there is no longer any reference to the pie in the sky train stop opposite the site. 

Still looks good mind - and I'm sure developers who can manage such a big project protecting lots of local jobs would be keen to give competetive quotes in the current climate to keep the money coming in! 

Thanks for posting - have been thinking about this recently and presuming that we would not see anything on it for few years.

Nice to see SL still has an appetite for it and the plans do look impressive - not sure that 17 storey block will get through PP though !

Not seen any of this in local press today which is a surprise.

I also find this interesting. I imagine the council will try and squeeze every last penny out of this development, but you never know. We got our new stadium in the end didn’t we. 

The height might be ok when you think of the precedent the council has recently set including the height of the Lansdown stand and that development near bemmy train station. I think I read that got the green light? I think it will depend ultimately on what it does to the skyline from various viewpoints. We must have one or two planners in our fan base who are itk...

14 minutes ago, City37 said:

Nice to see SL still has an appetite for it and the plans do look impressive - not sure that 17 storey block will get through PP though !

They’ve just approved a 16 storey tower block as part of the Bedminster Green project behind St. Katherine’s Precinct mind so I wouldn’t be so sure. Maybe going for 17 is a ploy. Ask for more than you need and negotiate down to what you wanted in the first place anyway!  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, City37 said:

Thanks for posting - have been thinking about this recently and presuming that we would not see anything on it for few years.

Not seen any of this in local press today which is a surprise.

Yea incredible aint it when the methane snorters produced ther video of a bucket of tarmac behind the club shed it was front page news all over the evening post ????

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

They’ve just approved a 16 storey tower block as part of the Bedminster Green project behind St. Katherine’s Precinct mind so I wouldn’t be so sure. Maybe going for 17 is a ploy. Ask for more than you need and negotiate down to what you wanted in the first place anyway!  

Yep - think they tried for 21 storey in Bedmi Green which was rejected.

AG tower probably end up circa 13 storeys !

Look forward to seeing this progress.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Looks incredible

I find it odd that this information isn't all over the football and rugby sites

If the information had been about Rovers new Santa’s Grotto it would have been front page news in the Bristol Post 

• Like 1

Just now, Johnr1986 said:

It’s really looks impressive, do any of you think that we might redevelope the Atyeo ?

Steve Lansdown said, at a Senior Reds bash a couple of years ago, that he considered this at an early stage of the ground redevelopment. He decided against it due to the cost / difficulty of buying the houses behind the Atyeo. If City ever get into the Premier League it won’t be the extra capacity that generates income. It will be TV money and corporate events

41 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Steve Lansdown said, at a Senior Reds bash a couple of years ago, that he considered this at an early stage of the ground redevelopment. He decided against it due to the cost / difficulty of buying the houses behind the Atyeo. If City ever get into the Premier League it won’t be the extra capacity that generates income. It will be TV money and corporate events

I think the Dolman will get boxes before the Atyeo gets a major revamp. Surely all the money is with a side view of the pitch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think the Dolman will get boxes before the Atyeo gets a major revamp. Surely all the money is with a side view of the pitch.

Already been told the Dolman has a short (in context) lifetime left of needing to replaced within 20 years or so, expect you'd be right but wouldn't be surprised for the Atyeo to get a make over and fully connected up, away fans could be stuck in a top tier of a new Dolman and a lower tier all for City fans plus upper Lansdown.

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, RedM said:

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Already been told the Dolman has a short (in context) lifetime left of needing to replaced within 20 years or so, expect you'd be right but wouldn't be surprised for the Atyeo to get a make over and fully connected up, away fans could be stuck in a top tier of a new Dolman.

The flats behind the Dolman probably  have a life expectancy similar to the Dolman. If so, Steve Lansdown could do a deal with Bristol City Council to gain more land to enable a Dolman expansion in return for support for replacement housing. Extra land is the only way an extra tier is possible. If the Dolman was redeveloped on the existing footprint the modern legroom for seating would result in reduced capacity.  Whatever, I’m sure he has a long term plan that we know little / nothing about 

Edit @TomF beat me to it with the same view 

Edited by pongo88

3 hours ago, City37 said:

not sure that 17 storey block will get through PP though !

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

They’ve just approved a 16 storey tower block as part of the Bedminster Green project behind St. Katherine’s Precinct mind so I wouldn’t be so sure. Maybe going for 17 is a ploy.

Mayor Marvin Rees has famously stated his intention for Bristol to build high, and I wholeheartedly support him on that. Modern age Manchester looks fantastic, and we're about 20 years behind them as it stands.

Hopefully between them Steve L and Marvin R might finally drag our dated city into the 21st century. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Mayor Marvin Rees has famously stated his intention for Bristol to build high, and I wholeheartedly support him on that. Modern age Manchester looks fantastic, and we're about 20 years behind them as it stands.

High rise is no different to anything. It can go wrong. Some of the new “apartments” in the Bedminster Green plans are shockingly small. Like REALLY small. 

• Thanks 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Already been told the Dolman has a short (in context) lifetime left of needing to replaced within 20 years or so, expect you'd be right but wouldn't be surprised for the Atyeo to get a make over and fully connected up, away fans could be stuck in a top tier of a new Dolman and a lower tier all for City fans plus upper Lansdown.

I've often heard and read this, but is it actually documented anywhere or is it a bit urban legend? 

Never known of any other stand have to be replaced due to age. 

There must be older stands out there? 

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

High rise is no different to anything. It can go wrong. Some of the new “apartments” in the Bedminster Green plans are shockingly small. Like REALLY small. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bedminster-high-rise-housing-approved-4564979.amp

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

I've often heard and read this, but is it actually documented anywhere or is it a bit urban legend? 

guess it's to do with build quality pre late sixties things were built to last nowadays built to need replacing sooner rather than later (Money) .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

This is a good point. The stand basically consists of a steel girder frame with pre-formed concrete sections for terraces to support the seats. “Concrete cancer” can affect concrete structures but this is usually caused by water ingress causing the steel reinforcements to rust. As the stand has a roof,  water ingress is unlikely and there is no visible sign of deterioration at present. As you say, there must be older stands. (The original Wembley Stadium lasted 80 years before it was demolished)

Is there a structural engineer who can give a definitive answer?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yes, I went to the consultation meeting at Ashton Gate during the planning process. It was made clear by the onsite experts that the Dolman structure would reach the end of its life within about 20 years. I've no idea whether it is documented, but they said it to us at the time. 

I suppose this must have been 6 or 7 years ago. Then again many of our houses in this awesome city are well over 150 years old, so maybe the Dolman can actually go on for ever! 

• Thanks 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Yes, I went to the consultation meeting at Ashton Gate during the planning process. It was made clear by the onsite experts that the Dolman structure would reach the end of its life within about 20 years. I've no idea whether it is documented, but they said it to us at the time. 

I suppose this must have been 6 or 7 years ago. Then again many of our houses in this awesome city are well over 150 years old, so maybe the Dolman can actually go on for ever! 

Out of interest do you know why this hasn't appeared to have been an issue elsewhere, or is it likely around the same time a number of clubs will get a similar problem? 

It just seems very odd that no other structures get the same advice mentioned 

On the flip side it seems odd that so much investment was recently put into developing that stand,that surely as two other stands were being rebuilt it would have made sense to do it now before costs increase even more. 

Or am I over thinking it and the stand won't need demolishing and that is an alternative 

42 minutes ago, phantom said:

Out of interest do you know why this hasn't appeared to have been an issue elsewhere, or is it likely around the same time a number of clubs will get a similar problem? 

It just seems very odd that no other structures get the same advice mentioned 

On the flip side it seems odd that so much investment was recently put into developing that stand,that surely as two other stands were being rebuilt it would have made sense to do it now before costs increase even more. 

Or am I over thinking it and the stand won't need demolishing and that is an alternative 

Probably a case of options, total cost as it was being ~£42m, we all know Steve is rich so money is no matter but it took over a year for everything to be done, probably would have been grumbles had it been said it would take another year until completion and more moving of fans etc, so a patch do up job and use the stand for another 20 odd years probably stood out as a good option. And as people have said delaying has created other options.

• Like 1

The redevelopment must be good news for the Flyers eh @Davefevs - hopefully they'll do a "bundled" season ticket (as they did with Bristol for a couple of years) and give City or Bris ST Holders a nice discount on a Flyers ST. Can imagine weekends where we have Bristol play on a Friday night, City 3pm ko on a Saturday followed by a Flyers tip-off (is that the right phrase?) later in the evening. 

• Like 2

Looks good, and really impressive. If all goes to plan it really will be a hugely impressive area of Bristol.

As for redeveloping the Atyeo, unless the houses suddenly become owned by Bristol Sport (let's be fair the prices will get higher and higher on the remaining houses as they were being sold off), it won't happen.

It may get a bit of a face-lift, lick of paint, newer seats etc, but it's used to house the away fans now. 

Unless we were able to get into the Prem, and regularly be up amongst the top 6-8 clubs we aren't going to be doing (or probably need) any large redevelopment. At best the corners may get filled in.