IGNORED

AG Redevelopment latest

CyderInACan

10 hours ago, RedRaw said:

For those of you interested, full planning application now in with BCC

https://pa.bristol.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QUDIACDNHQI00&activeTab=summary

Interesting it's a joint application made by Bristol Sport and Esteban Investments Ltd. The three directors of the latter are Jon Lansdown, Martin Griffiths and Gavin Marshall. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Any news on the redevelopment of the atyeo stand, is it possible to rebuild it with a higher capacity? Possibly steeper, maybe with rail seating/standing?

There are no plans for this, it has been mentioned numerous times by SL that the ground is plenty big enough for us & the proximity of houses on Ashton Rd makes this logistically impossible.

SL doesn’t own any of them, either…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YorkshireSection said:

Any news on the redevelopment of the atyeo stand, is it possible to rebuild it with a higher capacity? Possibly steeper, maybe with rail seating/standing?

My guess would be it's not gonna happen until we're playing/have played premier league football.

There's not much point in expanding/redeveloping the Atyeo unless we're increasing the stadium capacity to around 30k. And there's not much point in increasing the stadium capacity to around 30k unless we're pretty consistent in being a top end Championship/bottom end Premier League club. Especially as it seems to be a real pain trying to buy the houses behind the Atyeo.

Maybe in a few years time the effects of the sporting quarter and Pearson's swanky football will have increased attendances enough to justify it though ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomF said:

I'm still worried the Portishead line work will get canned due to rise in construction costs.  However the work is out for tender by Network Rail.  I think main thing is to get the railway open and then opening stations along it becomes more realistic.  

Unbelievable (totally believable) that they haven’t included a station/halt already, considering the uni, Ashton Court, and the new development.

Edited by exAtyeoMax

32 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Is there any news re opening the station at AG?

Current timeline for the completion of the Portishead line is early to mid 2024 at the earliest, they haven't even finally decided where the station in Portishead is going to go so I wouldn't be holding your breath for ashton gate halt to reopen. I'm wondering with all this working from home whether there will be any demand for commuting into central Bristol going forward. 

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

Current timeline for the completion of the Portishead line is early to mid 2024 at the earliest, they haven't even finally decided where the station in Portishead is going to go so I wouldn't be holding your breath for ashton gate halt to reopen. I'm wondering with all this working from home whether there will be any demand for commuting into central Bristol going forward. 

I don’t think the working from home will last. Possibly more flexible working though. Not everyone has the space, especially if they are going to move into one of the budget room flats in Bemmie! 

1 minute ago, TomF said:

I'd be worried about the 'North Somerset' planning with Nigel Ashton still around.. 

I expect Steve has got personal lawyers looking over every stage of it this time so there's no chance of a slip up like last time which left the door open

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

Although working from home has proved doable, once full restrictions are lifted, office based workers will start returning to offices en masse although with many negotiating 1/2 days working from home. 

• Like 2

Zero affordable housing being provided as part of the sporting quarter plans, based on financial viability.

That's a pretty poor look.

A Financial Viability Appraisal (FVA) for this development is submitted as part of this application. The FVA establishes a benchmark land value (‘BLV’), against which the schemes residual value (GDV – total costs) is compared. For the scheme to be considered viable, the residual value should be greater than the BLV (which is the existing use value plus an acceptable amount to incentivise the landowner to sell), for the development to proceed.

The appraisal demonstrates that, due to the high build costs, a high existing use value and, for some of the development parcels, a low capital value, the residual value of the development falls below the BLV. This is despite the appraisal factoring in the land receipt sale from Longmoor as an effective subsidy to the development (accounting for nearly 19% of the overall build costs).

As a result, the development is not able to reasonably provide affordable housing, and the scheme is proposed to have a zero provision

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Hope the residents of Ashton Vale are happy now.  A stadium used 30 times a year or 1'000 odd houses.  

There will be a lot of dog walkers in those 1000 new homes........ 

Now with nowhere to go! 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I'm still worried the Portishead line work will get canned due to rise in construction costs.  However the work is out for tender by Network Rail.  I think main thing is to get the railway open and then opening stations along it becomes more realistic.  

100%.

There is a lot of opposition to the Ashton Gate station bit, not least from Avon & Somerset police, but at least getting the line up & running is a start.

On 27/10/2020 at 18:51, real_bristol said:

I also find this interesting. I imagine the council will try and squeeze every last penny out of this development, but you never know. We got our new stadium in the end didn’t we. 

The height might be ok when you think of the precedent the council has recently set including the height of the Lansdown stand and that development near bemmy train station. I think I read that got the green light? I think it will depend ultimately on what it does to the skyline from various viewpoints. We must have one or two planners in our fan base who are itk...

Not sure how popular the hotel would be unless it had a great conference program. If I was a visitor to Bristol I can think of far nicer locations to wake up in.

I haven't looked at the plans yet but imo a shame if the aspiration for a railway station has been dropped.  Many of us in the wider city who have to rely on public transport to get to games would have found a station very useful. It would have created a more sustainable development as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Exciting stuff! Am I right in thinking the football club will be able to report the profits from the sporting quarter (inc. Basketball etc) as our own, and therefore increase our FFP threshold? Or does it not quite work like that?

No, it doesn't work like that.  The new developments are being made by Steve Lansdown and the companies he formed to develop the site that he acquired . The profit will flow to Steve Lansdown and his fellow investors in that company. Nothing to do with BCFC.  It's nice that there will be facillities that some might benefit from on matchdays (more retail, food etc) or if you want to watch basketball or attend concerts but all the money goes to SL & Co.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Redland Red said:

I haven't looked at the plans yet but imo a shame if the aspiration for a railway station has been dropped.  Many of us in the wider city who have to rely on public transport to get to games would have found a station very useful. It would have created a more sustainable development as well.

Looking at the size of the station planned I can't ever see it open anytime near a matchday

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

Looking at the size of the station planned I can't ever see it open anytime near a matchday

I believe this is the issue with an AG station.   As much as a station there would be feasible if/when the line opens up for commuter trains, the applicants (SL) were advised the station would have to be shut on football/rugby games due to over capacity…..bonkers!

SL can’t really do anything. All he can do is push the council/network rail to invest/support a larger station there which we may or may not get in 5/10/15/20 years 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

My guess would be it's not gonna happen until we're playing/have played premier league football.

There's not much point in expanding/redeveloping the Atyeo unless we're increasing the stadium capacity to around 30k. And there's not much point in increasing the stadium capacity to around 30k unless we're pretty consistent in being a top end Championship/bottom end Premier League club. Especially as it seems to be a real pain trying to buy the houses behind the Atyeo.

Maybe in a few years time the effects of the sporting quarter and Pearson's swanky football will have increased attendances enough to justify it though ?

Some new seats and filling in of the sides would make that part of the ground more aesthetically pleasing,I'm aware we don't need the extra capacity.

The Atyeo looks very dated in an otherwise ultra modern Ashton Gate.

Edited by YorkshireSection

9 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

I believe this is the issue with an AG station.   As much as a station there would be feasible if/when the line opens up for commuter trains, the applicants (SL) were advised the station would have to be shut on football/rugby games due to over capacity…..bonkers!

SL can’t really do anything. All he can do is push the council/network rail to invest/support a larger station there which we may or may not get in 5/10/15/20 years 

Something similar happened with the station that was built next to the Ricoh in Coventry, shortly before it due to open it was announced that there weren't enough carriages to cope with the expected demand on football and rugby match days and chartering extra ones would be too expensive, so it's closed from an hour before kick off until an hour afterwards.