IGNORED

AG Redevelopment latest

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, garlicbread said:

There's no point in developing the ground, it's just been developed, and never full

This myth that SL is trying to buy the houses is up there with the Zoo parking attendant...there are often for sale signs outside those hoses behind the Atyeo

Top tip: try reading the whole thread before posting, otherwise you run the risk of disagreeing with points that no-one's actually made. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The Bard said:

What will happen is the Dolman and Atyeo will be redeveloped in 5 to 10 years time.  This will result in an increase in capacity of 2 to 3k due to filling the corner and having rail seating/terracing.

Rail seating doesn't increase capacity and terracing is a no go full stop

26 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

1 seat 1 space I thought due to h&s

Yes, but wasn’t that because it was a trial….and that if everything done properly, ripped out existing, put in proper rail seats you could get more in.

Im not suggesting we are taking that approach, just what is possible under rail seating if done in the right way..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Minimum £15m.

For maybe 2k extra seats ?

It’s not just the extra 2 k seats, a new modern Atyeo with 10 cooperate boxes and say another heineken type lounge or something to mirror the lounges we have in the South stand and then it becomes a lot more financially viable.

There is without doubt a need for more hospitality boxes at the stadium, the ones in the Lansdown sell out every year. I really don’t think the club would have any issues selling another 10 say every season.

Edited by bris red
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Aye.  It doesn’t seem long ago a 12k crowd was seen as decent. 

It’s called progress and ambition. I feel the negative posters on this thread fully represent the average apathetic Bristolian outlook on things!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bris red said:

It’s called progress and ambition. I feel the negative posters on this thread fully represent the average apathetic Bristolian outlook on things!

There’s progress/ambition and then there’s gas levels of delusion. 

It remains to be seen if the arena will allow the club to offer a wider capacity for match day hospitality, which would make expanding the Atyeo for that purpose redundant. 

3 years ago there were absolutely no plans to expand, as it’s not seen as worth it for a whole host of reasons. That will only change if City were to reach the Prem, or Ashton Gate was selected as a Euros venue (which I suspect is unlikely).

• Like 1

• Admin
11 minutes ago, bris red said:

or maybe it's just realism of what is available and what is likely to happen

Like I said above, this thread borders on the nonsense written on Gaschat about their new ground sometimes

16 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Buy the flats.

Easy.

Then turn the flats in to long-range exec boxes, each equipped with a telescope on the already in situ balcony.

It would be a winner with the well-to-do pensioners market (limited as it may be), as I would guess emergency cords are already fitted in most of the bathrooms, catering could be provided by means of golf carts on a specially adapted path (we could call it Meals on Wheels).

This scheme is just paying for itself at the moment! 

You know it makes sense.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

19 hours ago, pillred said:

I'm not sure the actual footprint of the Dolman is that much smaller than the Lansdown, I was thinking more higher, somebody may be able to tell us but having been in both stands they don't seem that different width wise.

Dolman is about 7,000. Lansdown approx 10,500 to 11,000.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Minimum £15m.

For maybe 2k extra seats ?

58 minutes ago, bris red said:

It’s not just the extra 2 k seats, a new modern Atyeo with 10 cooperate boxes and say another heineken type lounge or something to mirror the lounges we have in the South stand and then it becomes a lot more financially viable.

There is without doubt a need for more hospitality boxes at the stadium, the ones in the Lansdown sell out every year. I really don’t think the club would have any issues selling another 10 say every season.

Exactly this.

The new stands at Wolves and Fulham, though bigger, cost £40m and £80m respectively in terms of their overall developments. We can assume a new Atyeo stand would cost at least £15-£20m.

If that gave us 2k extra seats, which we sold out 25 times a season (highly unlikely), at an average ticket price of £27, it would take you 15 years or so, possibly more to recoup that investment on ticket sales alone. If you account for not selling out every week and a possible higher cost of build, you're talking 20-25 years. Basically, extra seats aren't the primary benefit of expanding.

Corporate facilities are the main benefit from expanding, and on the existing footprint of the Atyeo (and the Dolman to be honest), you're going to have cramped facilities at best. Surely, one way or another, the club would have to buy more land, or do it purely for seats and go for as cheap a job as possible.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Exactly this.

The new stands at Wolves and Fulham, though bigger, cost £40m and £80m respectively in terms of their overall developments. We can assume a new Atyeo stand would cost at least £15-£20m.

If that gave us 2k extra seats, which we sold out 25 times a season (highly unlikely), at an average ticket price of £27, it would take you 15 years or so, possibly more to recoup that investment on ticket sales alone. If you account for not selling out every week and a possible higher cost of build, you're talking 20-25 years. Basically, extra seats aren't the primary benefit of expanding.

Corporate facilities are the main benefit from expanding, and on the existing footprint of the Atyeo (and the Dolman to be honest), you're going to have cramped facilities at best. Surely, one way or another, the club would have to buy more land, or do it purely for seats and go for as cheap a job as possible.

But won't there be increased facilities and non match day generating income from basketball-world and the associated hotels?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

But won't there be increased facilities and non match day generating income from basketball-world and the associated hotels?

If you mean the new facilities beyond the Lansdown, then yeah definitely, I was referring to a rebuild of the Atyeo or Dolman here. Sorry I might not have been clear.

44 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Then turn the flats in to long-range exec boxes, each equipped with a telescope on the already in situ balcony.

It would be a winner with the well-to-do pensioners market (limited as it may be), as I would guess emergency cords are already fitted in most of the bathrooms, catering could be provided by means of golf carts on a specially adapted path (we could call it Meals on Wheels).

This scheme is just paying for itself at the moment! 

You know it makes sense.

Could name one "block" or box, the Trotter lounge.

You know it makes sense :laughcont:

Edited by Taz
  • Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

When does the Dolman reach the end of its life? Of course it was updated during the last refit, but its essentially the original stand.

I have read a few times over the years about this, is it "actually" a thing?

Surely there would be stands up and down the country needing replacing?

• Like 2

What will happen is Steve will sell to some appalling, deviant, vainglorious foreign fellow from overseas, who will promise the earth and deliver three (injured) forwards when we need a centre back, and who will rebuild the Dolman (after heatwaves and drought reveal cracks under the Dolman flats and severe subsidence condemning said structure to the knacker's yard thus freeing up the land which said dodgy foreign chappy snaps up with an equally dodgy deal with cash-strapped BCC as inflation soars to 27% and 2022 is seen as the "good old days") so that it towers over the Lansdown and name it after himself (Steve having inserted a clause forbidding the re-naming of his Lansdown stand for the next 99 years), and naming AG itself after his human-rights shredding not-worth-the-paper-it's-written-on international fossil fuelled anti-woke minority-exploitation business empire, paying for it all by putting the club into even greater and more perilous debt a la Burnley, Man Utd etc whilst fobbing @Davefevs and co off with some accountancy jiggery-pokery not even they can get their spreadsheets around, eventually leaving us in 17th in L1 financially crippled and close to liquidation, so financially strapped that we are forced into reserecting the Glos Cup for the 7,800 pay-on-the-day crowd pre-season, in which we are gubbed 1:3 before a baying crowd of 6,500 Fewers in the South Stand. After taking an early lead.

And OTIB will say: we told you so.

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

When does the Dolman reach the end of its life? Of course it was updated during the last refit, but its essentially the original stand.

The comment that the Dolman needs replacing crops up on a regular basis. I’m not sure why as it’s hardly a falling down wreck. Obviously all structures have a life expectancy but the Dolman is a simple structure - steel frame with concrete terracing laid in top. The Wedlock stand was nearly 100 years old when it was as demolished but the  steel that supported the roof was still in good condition. Similarly, in the USA, there was a boom of skyscraper building in the 1920s using a steel core, but they haven’t fallen down. Is there a properly qualified structural engineer out there who can give a definitive answer on the Dolman life? 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2022 at 16:26, GrahamC said:

This is a brilliant argument if we lived in China but as we live somewhere that house owners are (rightly) entitled to tell someone who wants to buy their property to eff off if they don’t want to sell, (with very few exceptions, like HS2) it is just fantasy stuff.

I’m convinced those who post this tripe live absolutely nowhere near the ground & only visit the area once a fortnight.

Ashton & Southville has in recent years gentrified beyond belief, (I could weep when I think of the fortune my late Grandparents could have made on their house in Truro Rd) & these people are not going to sell & even if a couple of them did, once a few house owners in crucial properties say no, we’re ******.

I like this apart from the last para as I hate the term  gentrification. This is usually used in a negative way when often what has happened has been positive. In Ashton and Southville, and everywhere else, people have bought old  houses and modernised them using their own money. I don’t see anything wrong with this. House prices today are ridiculous but that’s due to a host of reasons. My house has increased in value by at least a factor of 6 since I bought it 24 years ago. I haven’t done any gentrification apart from routine maintenance 

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

What will Tilly from Clifton think of this. Or whatever her name was. 

She will probably think it's about time she was in the paper again. I think she broke some sort of record for being the nimby furthest from their subject of horror in history.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Would’ve thought that if you’re going to build a hotel at Ashton Gate, one that overlooks the park is going to be a lot more in demand than one overlooking Winterstoke Road. Or, imagine the value of the flats that could be built on the back of a redeveloped Atyeo stand. If Nelson Mandela House just around the corner is 11 stories then a redeveloped Atyeo and buying the houses you may well be talking 100+ flats with views of the park, Royal York Crescent, the Suspension Bridge. Given that Frayne Road on the other side of the park is known to be one of the most expensive roads in the area, and North Street  now being one of the most sought after places to live, it’s hard to understand just why someone hasn’t done this already. Perhaps its the likely need for underground parking and the issues of the river (think it’s the Malago) but, wouldn’t have thought it’s beyond the wit of man to factor in a solution. 
All this could allow a pretty sizeable stand to be built on the rear of hotel or flats (perhaps both) Think I’m right that The Lansdown stand is virtually the same height as Mandela House, so perhaps it has the potential to happen, although would’ve imagined a billionaire would thought about it before and there’s a pretty good reason why it hasn’t. 

• Like 1

• Admin
56 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Would’ve thought that if you’re going to build a hotel at Ashton Gate, one that overlooks the park is going to be a lot more in demand than one overlooking Winterstoke Road. 

Hilton have built hotels in a lot worse places with far worse views 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1