IGNORED

Bournemouth away memories.

BCFC1512

19 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

1985, 3-0 down inside first 10 minutes = loads of trouble. Final score 5-0. SO'D playing for them. Silver lining? the appalling welsh gasshole Gary Emmanuel never played for us again. 

Thanks, I thought that was the game I was referring to much earlier on in this thread with a part of a wooden seat resembling a javelin coming out of the stand in the block I was in, absolutely loads of coins thrown, too..

It is all coming back to me now, we lost the first 4 of that season under Coops & the fact that we had a fair number of his ex-Gas contacts in the side didn’t bode well..

Gary Emmanuel walked out on us after that game, Mark Hughes (who made Beadle look like Twiggy after pre season) was binned off, but Brian Williams stuck it out, hung around & because he was a real scrapper, won us over.

Pretty sure Glyn Riley’s goal would have made it 1-1 but as mayhem ensued following it being disallowed they scored again & as you say, it then got pretty tasty.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks, I thought that was the game I was referring to much earlier on in this thread with a part of a wooden seat resembling a javelin coming out of the stand in the block I was in, absolutely loads of coins thrown, too..

It is all coming back to me now, we lost the first 4 of that season under Coops & the fact that we had a fair number of his ex-Gas contacts in the side didn’t bode well..

Gary Emmanuel walked out on us after that game, Mark Hughes (who made Beadle look like Twiggy after pre season) was binned off, but Brian Williams stuck it out, hung around & because he was a real scrapper, won us over.

Pretty sure Glyn Riley’s goal would have made it 1-1 but as mayhem ensued following it being disallowed they scored again & as you say, it then got pretty tasty.

My strongest single memory from Bournemouth 

Was in the stand too and my memory recalls it not missing the linesman by much and the game going on with the wooden ‘javelin’ sticking up from the turf

i also have to confess to passing through the Lawn Bowls match

Those were the days !

22 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

My memories are foggy, but I seem to remember the one ....

The game where part of a seat was thrown onto, and stuck in the pitch.

The game where it all kicked off on the green, people running everywhere and the lawn green bowling carrying on like nothing was happening. 

The one where Tony Thorpe scored and we won  , twice 

The rest sort of blend in 

Was there also. There was only about 1500 City there but we made a hell of a racket in that old wooden stand.

Mate of mine took crutches down on the train (circa 150 of us). Feigned an injury!  They kept playing bowls as we rampaged across the park. Really funny moment. 

Mate on crutches seemed to keep up with us all quite well! 

Good day out was that. Seems a long time ago now but away days were always eventful in the 80s.

46 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

My strongest single memory from Bournemouth 

Was in the stand too and my memory recalls it not missing the linesman by much and the game going on with the wooden ‘javelin’ sticking up from the turf

i also have to confess to passing through the Lawn Bowls match

Those were the days !

I confess also. Brings a smile ? to my face during all this COVID stuff.

1 hour ago, solihull cider red said:

Only been the once, I have surreal memories of a party in a pub and conga's in the away end.

3-2 win, 99-2000 season, the day after Pulis left

Fond memories of that game! Pulis buggering off was like an enormous weight had been lifted. 

The pub I went into before the game was full of City fans and there was a celebratory atmosphere, and the away terrace was the same. 

It was a decent match too from what I recall, something we had been starved of during Pulis’ reign. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Was in that old wooden stand too - can still see that seating landing in the pitch like a javelin! Also remember at one point we'd won a corner in front of us there, Emmanuel coming over to take it and receiving an absolute torrent of abuse. At which point he scarpered and got someone else to take it. 

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Was in that old wooden stand too - can still see that seating landing in the pitch like a javelin! Also remember at one point we'd won a corner in front of us there, Emmanuel coming over to take it and receiving an absolute torrent of abuse. At which point he scarpered and got someone else to take it. 

Yep, that was where I was stood. It happened right in front of me, someone broke the back of the seat off, then threw the sharp bit on to the pitch, in very close proximity to the Lino..

Remember Emmanuel coming out after the game & saying he wasn’t playing for us any more after all the stick he got.

Bizarre to think that was before we knew each other.

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Remember Emmanuel coming out after the game & saying he wasn’t playing for us any more after all the stick he got.

Bizarre to think that was before we knew each other.

There's a silver lining to everything, even 5-0 defeats!

Must be a few other away days around that time we were at simultaneously - God bless Coops but must of those would've ended in defeat!  

Archived