IGNORED

Reading

GrahamC

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Their 4th goal was allegedly their 4th shot on target!

Doesn’t matter though, does it?

When Goater played for us nearly all of his shots were on target & most of them were goals..

10 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

One where the wheels are gonna come off? Seems too good to be true for them.

They were hammered tonight.

The wheels will come off imo.

A few years ago they had a similar start which extended to around 11 games I think (not checked) which was a record start. Not sure that they made the playoffs that season.

27 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Extraordinary. Sky said tonight they’ve had the fewest shots on target in the division. 

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Some on here don't like xG, but the two who massively out performed their xG at the start of last season? Charlton and us

They'll drop right off for these reasons.

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

They were hammered tonight.

The wheels will come off imo.

A few years ago they had a similar start which extended to around 11 games I think (not checked) which was a record start. Not sure that they made the playoffs that season.

I can remember when they equalled the record start recorded, could of beaten the record. They were playing at Elm Park then and went up. 

I just looked at Reading's fixtures and they've got Coventry on Friday which if they win could put them up to 10 points clear going into Saturday's fixtures!

They've then got Preston and Stoke at home.

Even if they're massively overacheiving, if they can ride this wave a little longer they'll be in a really strong position to secure payoffs this season.

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not given them serious consideration but that is some result tonight & they are off to an absolute flyer.

Didn’t they hire some Serbian who had been coaching in America? Whoever he is, that is some start.

If you correct in predicting that Wycombe will be poorer than Rotherham 2016/17 - and it's looking good for you on this as we speak! - then Reading already have as many, if not more, points than Wycombe will manage this 46 games season.

And Reading finished lower than us last season, too.

4 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I can remember when they equalled the record start recorded, could of beaten the record. They were playing at Elm Park then and went up. 

Just checked.

They won the division that season with 106 points (99 scored) losing twice.

They lost their opening game at home then went 34 games unbeaten.

Maybe the wheels won't fall off....

13 hours ago, The Batman said:

Their first goal tonight was hilarious. What the back heeling defender is doing I have no idea. 

I love seeing goals like this. I just imagine being a Blackburn fan settling down to the game you paid £10 for and then seeing that. 

Its always reassuring that it doesn’t just happen to us.

13 hours ago, eric04 said:

Extraordinary. Sky said tonight they’ve had the fewest shots on target in the division. 

Going by (my very poor) memory. Didn't Ipswich start one season flying and their stats were similar? I remember reading a couple of people saying you couldn't keep up that strike rate, I think they were scoring almost all of their shots. 

I like looking at stats, to a point, but they don't tell you everything unless you really study everything. Reading could be playing like we did for a while, not shooting from distance too much and waiting until they have a decent chance to shoot. It looks like the average conversion rate of goals to shots on target around Europe is about 30% , so the 3 teams below are above that. I chose us and Spurs as the highest scorer in the Prem as a comparison. 

Reading 50 shots, 25 on target 11 goals. 44% conversion rate SOT / 22% all shots. XG 0.59. avg goals 1.88

Us            73 shots. 31 on target 11 goals 35% conversion rate SOT / 15% all shots  XG 1.03. avg goals. 1.57

Spurs       83 shots 40 on target. 16 goals 40% conversion rate SOT / 19% all shots. XG 1.47. avg goal. 2.6

For a season comparison Liverpool averaged 16 shots with 7 OT per game winning the League last year. They scored an average of 2.2 GPG (XG 1.98) con rate of 31% (13% all shots) 

Stats don't prove everything, but if the figures I found are correct, Reading average about 3 shots on target per game and just under 2 goals. That is some conversion rate and I would suggest unsustainable .

All this proves is I'm not working and the internet is full of data. :thumbsup:

Archived