IGNORED

Weimann out for the season

CyderInACan

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Says online there are things that can be done to help prevent ACL injury though. I'm no expert but that's what I read.

If you go into a match not properly warmed up then of course there’s a risk of injury early in the match, but no way the club could have done anything to prevent Weimann’s injury.  Do you really think we don’t understand these things, that we don’t train properly, that we don’t have medical experts who know what to do?  This is just another of the ridiculous conspiracy theories that plague society these days, and people shouldn’t fall for it.  It’s a sad fact that Injuries to footballers happen, and you just have to live with it.  Let’s hope we have enough cover until January.

don't see how all these injuries are bad luck tbh, over one season maybe but not over three, especially as we were told that Holden wanted us to run the most/be the fittest team in the league

think this will be a bigger loss than people think, been a huge part of the team for a few years, work rate (creating space for others) is crazy. Looks silly to have let Morrell going now, especially as HNM and Nagy don't seem wanted anymore & Walsh/Williams are crocked.

CO'D in centre mid to condemn us to peak 2020 living.

Heard Pep was quoted a few days ago saying muscle injuries are 47% up this season because of the increased intensity of playing so many games now because of rearranged seasons. This season in particular is going to be affected by increased injuries so squad rotation will be key. That and a huge slice of luck in avoiding injuries to key players will be crucial. Our luck seems to have left with the transfer window so this season may depend on how fast some of our young talent can come through.

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

In the nicest possible sense this could be a blessing in disguise from the point of view of our midfield 3 team selection. 

of course- would

never wish injury on any player, but the 3 of Bakinson/Paterson/Weimann looked like it was going to be over run etc. 

Huh?

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Weimann has a history of injury problems then, does he?

The bloke has an incredible availability record & I cannot see anything could have prevented this from happening.

Mawson was definitely a gamble that didn’t come off but really not sure who else you are referring to, unless you want to go back to the likes of Lee Matthews, Paul Holland & Paul Mortimer..

Considering how he plays , at full throttle , and the amount of high intensity sprints / bursts he must make a game I find it remarkable tbh that he hasn’t suffered muscle injuries - testament to his fitness , conditioning and professionalism 

We’ve had several changes in the back room staff over this period.  From Steve Allen to Andrew Rolls.

Who knows whether it’s the people, the methods or bad luck.  But casting aspersions in a field where we don’t have expertise is wrong imho.

Weimann’s ACL was innocuous, the ball rebounded off of the Swansea player and caught him off balance.  Just like Afobe’s, a freak scenario.

Over the weekend there were quite a muscle injuries forcing players off across the Championship.  Those types of injury might be a result of load after a shortened pre-season.

Gutted for Weimann.  He will be missed.

But it’s an opening for another of our players to grasp.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We’ve had several changes in the back room staff over this period.  From Steve Allen to Andrew Rolls.

Who knows whether it’s the people, the methods or bad luck.  But casting aspersions in a field where we don’t have expertise is wrong imho.

Weimann’s ACL was innocuous, the ball rebounded off of the Swansea player and caught him off balance.  Just like Afobe’s, a freak scenario.

Over the weekend there were quite a muscle injuries forcing players off across the Championship.  Those types of injury might be a result of load after a shortened pre-season.

Gutted for Weimann.  He will be missed.

But it’s an opening for another of our players to grasp.

Brunt? Please not COD ?

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

So two years ago I say there’s a problem and get many replies saying it’s nonsense. The injuries keep coming so mention it again and yet again get replies saying it’s just bad luck.  Hmmmm. Let’s wait another two years shall we.  

Injuries happen in football shock.

I’m with the school of thought that this was a complete freak accident, and don’t think it in itself should raise questions over the medical team. Those are questions for another day. Today is about a bit of sympathy for a player, who like or loathe, never gives less than 100%.

I think AW himself says it best:

A16D1CA3-1BA1-4514-B647-167A626498CF.jpeg

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Weimann has a history of injury problems then, does he?

The bloke has an incredible availability record & I cannot see anything could have prevented this from happening.

Mawson was definitely a gamble that didn’t come off but really not sure who else you are referring to, unless you want to go back to the likes of Lee Matthews, Paul Holland & Paul Mortimer..

I’ve not mentioned Weimann specifically. I am talking about all the injuries. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m clearly not talking about just knee injuries. I’ve mentioned our total injury record over a four year period.  Impossible for someone outside the club to deduce exactly what is wrong but that doesn’t mean there isn’t.  

Bad luck and coincidence doesn’t last years and years. 

What is our injury record like compared to other sides in the division? Over the past 4 years?

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m with the school of thought that this was a complete freak accident, and don’t think it in itself should raise questions over the medical team. Those are questions for another day. Today is about a bit of sympathy for a player, who like or loathe, never gives less than 100%.

Gonna be a tough time mentally no doubt, too. Wishing him all the very best for a full recovery. 

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

I dunno if its high intensity training, but weimann was allowed up and continued playing for a few minute before going down again,,, and the same thing happened when kalas hurt his shoulder. If our medical staff cant see a ####ed up acl in the middle of the game then what use are they??

Simon....when I did my ACL, I carried on playing for 5-10 minutes and it was only when I tried to twist that it gave out.  I did mine going up for a header unchallenged and came down straight legged.  ACLs often happen in freak circumstances.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

It is possible things can be done to help prevent ACL injuries.

It’s not really at all. See @steviestevieneville post below

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely huge blow.

Underrated player who was integral to how we wanted to play.

The fact that we have plenty of other midfield options is some consolation but he will be a huge miss.

Strange, but when he went down I thought it was minor & Sessegnon was the one who would be out longer.

It often looks minor...and that’s probably why Weimann thought it was a little tweak and tried to carry on. He was probably fine doing a little test running in straight lines....until he tried to turn at speed.

40 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

ACL injuries are nothing to do with fitness. It’s caused by hyperextending the knee, I’ve done mine. There’s nothing a physio can do to pre empt it .  The ACL & I think ICL balance the knee so you can twist & turn . It’s always the ACL that seems to rupture.   

ACL (Anterior) and PCL (Posterior) stabilise the knee together with the medial ligaments.  For a professional footballer to have weak lateral and collateral ligaments (the ones on the inside and outside of the knee is not gonna be true.

image.thumb.jpeg.e5b2948100524ddf4276de343ce6c823.jpeg

ACL injuries have become more regular as the game has got faster and tougher.  They are as you say the result of hyper extension of the knee (which means extending further than it’s meant to).  My knee ended up at a near right angle to the side.  

19 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Heard Pep was quoted a few days ago saying muscle injuries are 47% up this season because of the increased intensity of playing so many games now because of rearranged seasons. This season in particular is going to be affected by increased injuries so squad rotation will be key. That and a huge slice of luck in avoiding injuries to key players will be crucial. Our luck seems to have left with the transfer window so this season may depend on how fast some of our young talent can come through.

And we’re only just starting to hit the congested period...... add the fact Holden prefers a consistent side.

28 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

You think we're the only team with a Desso pitch? :huh:

Of course not, no. There's more than one type of Desso pitch clubs can get and it's not beyond the realms to think the technology might moved on since it was installed at AG. I don't know. 

What I do know is the amount of long-term injuries we have sustained in the last three or four years is more than bad luck, IMO. 

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Maybe @And Its Smith would like to praise the medical staff for keeping Andi fit enough not to miss even a training session in the last 5 years?

35 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Every player we signed for a year from pulis to wilson, seemed to get a serious injury within weeks of joining us.

Mercer i recall had a bad one.

Mercer slipped in the shower, ripped his groin, and never played again. He's still the best keeper I've seen in a City shirt. 

46 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Says online there are things that can be done to help prevent ACL injury though. I'm no expert but that's what I read.

For the amateur yes....not for a seasoned professional athlete.  As an amateur you can ensure your quads are developed well.  But as we see from Andi’s Instagram below that isn’t an issue for Andi.

26 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Considering how he plays , at full throttle , and the amount of high intensity sprints / bursts he must make a game I find it remarkable tbh that he hasn’t suffered muscle injuries - testament to his fitness , conditioning and professionalism 

??????

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It was freak.  Exactly.  It’s a bastard of an injury, and we should be thoughtful about it for one of our players.

the rhetoric on here from some posters is very disappointing.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Simon....when I did my ACL, I carried on playing for 5-10 minutes and it was only when I tried to twist that it gave out.  I did mine going up for a header unchallenged and came down straight legged.  ACLs often happen in freak circumstances.

It’s not really at all. See @steviestevieneville post below

It often looks minor...and that’s probably why Weimann thought it was a little tweak and tried to carry on. He was probably fine doing a little test running in straight lines....until he tried to turn at speed.

You see that quite a lot with it, players will try and play through it initially and it looks fairly innocuous. Happened with Van Dijk the other week.

Archived