IGNORED

Weimann out for the season

CyderInACan

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’ve not mentioned Weimann specifically. I am talking about all the injuries. 

We have to categorise injuries to understand root cause / blame (?).

• In-game versus training versus non-training
  • When they happened (start of session or once warmed up)
  • Result of contact versus non contact
  • etc

Once we’ve done that we can start to make hypotheses.

7 minutes ago, tin said:

Of course not, no. There's more than one type of Desso pitch clubs can get and it's not beyond the realms to think the technology might moved on since it was installed at AG. I don't know. What I do know is the amount of long-term injuries we have sustained in the last three or four years is more than bad luck, IMO. 

Yes, there are varieties of Desso's artificial surfaces but that's not what we have.

We have Desso Grassmaster which is the same as pretty much any other high level stadium - Wembley, Nou Camp, Old Trafford, Anfield, Parc des Princes and a whole lot more.

10 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Does this mean O'Dowda is gonna start most games? 

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I haven’t decided yet.....

I see it as a great recycling opportunity for many of our posters. All they will have to do is find their Weimann posts for the last couple of seasons, cut, paste and change the name to COD. Job's a good 'un.

This has depressed me this morning. You wont find a harder worker for the team. Its a real blow.

As for the theory its in some way our own making - are we even sure we get more injuries than other teams? Id be surprised. 

Lets hope  Joe Williams is back soon to make up for it. 

5 minutes ago, Packman said:

Am I the only person on here that thinks Odowda has looked quite bright in his few cameos this season?

Barnsley he looks encouraging for the 5 mins (plus injury time) he was on.  And he had an average 25 mins v Swansea.

Problem is that one dribble v Barnsley where he got hacked down and a couple of passes is enough for some to rate that as “a performance”.

We really need to see him from the start across 4/5 games (in a little run) to give a decent opinion.  

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This has depressed me this morning. You wont find a harder worker for the team. Its a real blow.

As for the theory its in some way our own making - are we even sure we get more injuries than other teams? Id be surprised. 

Lets hope  Joe Williams is back soon to make up for it. 

Me too triple-T.  Having had injuries that finally stopped me playing at 31 and effectively hampered me from 25/26 I wish some people had some empathy for Weimann.  Gutted for him.

26 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I realise you are joking but I think the coaching staff will see him as being the ideal "ball carrying" replacement for Weimann.

Agreed, that's it precisely.

Unfortunately, I laughed out loud on Saturday when O'Dowda carried the ball 50 yards up the pitch, got into a dangerous position inside the Swansea penalty area..... and then just fell over fresh air. Literally. 

He brings plenty of energy but literally nothing else at the moment. The modern midfielder who carries the ball over distances always has end product - De Bruyne being the top example. O'Dowda has no end product. 

In contrast, I'm not a massive fan of Weimann (best wishes for a speedy recovery) but he does bring goals.  

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Let's see a list then.

How many of the injuries were preventable? Jay's shin splints? Korey's reckless challenge that left him with a bad impact injury? Sessegnons hamstring, a player who has only been with us a couple of months? Two of the other injuries were players with previous injury records, Afobe and Mawson. Diedhou's was a freak too.

I am just interested in which injuries you think were preventable from the "huge list".

I think the only injury that has been the fault of negligence was Nagy last season, but that was largely down to the management of the Hungarian national team (we were far from blameless however!).

Other than that I think you are right, we have had some serious bad luck. 

Feel for Andi, that’s yet another big blow for us. He’s been the heart of our attacking play these last couple seasons. Now really is the time for O’Dowda, Nagy and Massengo to step up!

The options we have left until Walsh and Williams are fit, whenever that it is...

Option 1                      Brunt

Pato                      Nagy

Option 2                   Bakinson

Pato                      Brunt

Option 3                     Nagy 

Pato                     O’Dowda

Option 4                     Brunt

Massengo          O’Dowda

I don’t like the idea of Massengo and Nagy in a midfield 3 together, too inexperienced and light weight. Have to mix experience, strength and youth in there imo.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

It is not ridiculous at all. None of us know but it is surely a question the club must be asking.

As with all conspiracy theories, just because people say them doesn’t make them true or even likely.  If you present statistics suggesting that we have more injuries of a particular type than comparable clubs then there may be something to look at, but at the moment it’s just a case of people saying we have a lot of injuries so there must be something odd going on, and the club is probably to blame.  Sportspeople get injured, end of.

58 minutes ago, tin said:

Of course not, no. There's more than one type of Desso pitch clubs can get and it's not beyond the realms to think the technology might moved on since it was installed at AG. I don't know. 

What I do know is the amount of long-term injuries we have sustained in the last three or four years is more than bad luck, IMO. 

Ok, give us the rationale for your second paragraph.  ‘More than bad luck’?  Why?

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Every player we signed for a year from pulis to wilson, seemed to get a serious injury within weeks of joining us.

Mercer i recall had a bad one.

Vokes, Velicka, Elokobi.

At least Sessengnon got marginally more time than them before getting crocked.

Could add Afobe to the list of broken loanees we've had.

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Sometimes a strength imbalance, e.g. strong quads and weak hamstrings

Sounds a bit suss to me. You can not predict knee injuries as its par for the course. No fitness level cant prevent a knee injury. I’m not an expert but I assume the slightest knock in the knee area when you are air Bourne in a tackle and you land on the ground in a weird position will result in some kind of an issue or injury.

Those of us old on this forum will remember the great Paul Cheasley (big cheese and hero in the 70s) had to retire from when shilts took him out at Ashton gate in BS3 In the 70,s. With a knee injury.

there are a few saying its issues at the club that are responsible for injuries of recent times and going back a few years. This to me is total rubbish. The players are tuned and fit to play. Please give some credit to the current coaching staff and comments like “something is wrong at the club” is not appropriate in regards to players injuries. 

I bet there are a few of you on this forum that got injured playing football in your school teams, local teams and community teams and you never stated its a club issue.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

This thread is like listening to a ex managers interviews.

A blame culture, is frankly pathetic.

Must of missed something. What’s injuries to players got to do with ex manager interviews. What’s pathetic about a player that can potential not plat competitive football again fron an in jury.

31 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Feel for Andi, that’s yet another big blow for us. He’s been the heart of our attacking play these last couple seasons. Now really is the time for O’Dowda, Nagy and Massengo to step up!

The options we have left until Walsh and Williams are fit, whenever that it is...

Option 1                      Brunt

Pato                      Nagy

Option 2                   Bakinson

Pato                      Brunt

Option 3                     Nagy 

Pato                     O’Dowda

Option 4                     Brunt

Massengo          O’Dowda

I don’t like the idea of Massengo and Nagy in a midfield 3 together, too inexperienced and light weight. Have to mix experience, strength and youth in there imo.

I think it gives Holden an opportunity to change the blend of “a 6 and two 8s”.  Personally I would’ve been tempted to go Brunt and Bakinson as more of a “two” anyway tonight.  It may actually give more scope for Massengo and Nagy to fit?

31 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

As with all conspiracy theories, just because people say them doesn’t make them true or even likely.  If you present statistics suggesting that we have more injuries of a particular type than comparable clubs then there may be something to look at, but at the moment it’s just a case of people saying we have a lot of injuries so there must be something odd going on, and the club is probably to blame.  Sportspeople get injured, end of.

Ok, give us the rationale for your second paragraph.  ‘More than bad luck’?  Why?

??????

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Barnsley he looks encouraging for the 5 mins (plus injury time) he was on.  And he had an average 25 mins v Swansea.

Problem is that one dribble v Barnsley where he got hacked down and a couple of passes is enough for some to rate that as “a performance”.

We really need to see him from the start across 4/5 games (in a little run) to give a decent opinion.  

I agree, he's generally been disappointing for City so far, and I can see why people don't rate him. I do think there's been glimpses this season though and who knows under a new manager he could be a new player, like Semenyo for example who has shown promise under Holden but looked completely out of his depth before that. 

I don't think we should be writing him off just yet, I hope he gets a chance and I hope he takes it.

2 minutes ago, Packman said:

I agree, he's generally been disappointing for City so far, and I can see why people don't rate him. I do think there's been glimpses this season though and who knows under a new manager he could be a new player, like Semenyo for example who has shown promise under Holden but looked completely out of his depth before that. 

I don't think we should be writing him off just yet, I hope he gets a chance and I hope he takes it.

Agree, shouldn’t write him off.  I certainly don’t “not rate him”.  I think he has talent....I just wish he’d show it, unless of course the odd goal and a 6 gone spell 3 years ago were the exception???

He is a player who is too often referred to as “been excellent on the training ground”.

Archived