IGNORED

Weimann out for the season

CyderInACan

11 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Being hard after a vasectomy is indeed, impressive. ;)

I had that done to me once. Got home had sex and my nuts swelled up like water mellons. Ended back up in hospital for a week on a antibiotic drip.

5 minutes ago, City oz said:

I had that done to me once. Got home had sex and my nuts swelled up like water mellons. Ended back up in hospital for a week on a antibiotic drip.

Ooh thats rough, but with hindsight. Abstaining for a few weeks might have been wise! When i had it, that sort of activity was the furthest thing from my mind!!!

Just now, Davefevs said:

Agree, shouldn’t write him off.  I certainly don’t “not rate him”.  I think he has talent....I just wish he’d show it, unless of course the odd goal and a 6 gone spell 3 years ago were the exception???

What we need to do is back him and give him another new contract. It doesn't matter about his previous record, of the outright favouritism shown to him.

I'm saying 4 more years.

Over 47 years 130 chances weren't enough.

!Vote Biden O'Dowda 2020!

But genuinely, he has all the tools to play this 8 role, if he can't, he can't play any role. He can carry the ball, he can work hard, and he has the pace to hurt the opposition. He just never does it consistently, so let's give him one final chance.

I want to see him have a chance in the 8 role until the international break.

If he doesn't perform, he can stay in Ireland. Or swim back. I'm done with him if he fails to take this chance.

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Heard Pep was quoted a few days ago saying muscle injuries are 47% up this season because of the increased intensity of playing so many games now because of rearranged seasons. This season in particular is going to be affected by increased injuries so squad rotation will be key. 

I heard those Pep comments too. Think there might be something to it.

If there is, what we need right now is a manager who regularly rotates team selection rather than one who picks the same players week in week out! ?

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I heard those Pep comments too. Think there might be something to it.

If there is, what we need right now is a manager who regularly rotates team selection rather than one who picks the same players week in week out! ?

Yep, condensed schedule and short pre-season.  For some / many, the international break was a welcome break, but it might just have kicked the can down the road.  There were a few injuries in the Champ last weekend.  Lerma of Bournemouth was an example.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, condensed schedule and short pre-season.  For some / many, the international break was a welcome break, but it might just have kicked the can down the road.  There were a few injuries in the Champ last weekend.  Lerma of Bournemouth was an example.

Irony is twofold here.

Sessegnon came in on Saturday as a result of rotation & he got injured straight away.

Genuinely think Holden was just about to start doing so, what were there? 5 changes on Saturday? Expected another 4 or 5 tonight prior to the injuries, there now may well be 6..

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I’ve said it for 2 years now. Constant injuries for one season can be unlucky. Constant injuries for 3-4 seasons is negligence.  Something isn’t right at city and we are getting injuries because of it.  Hope Andi is okay mentally if not physically 

Spot on, could be the training leading up to the match. The warm up before matches, i cant remember seeing any warm up before the 2nd half. Some clubs get them out  early to do this. We are going to miss his energy, shame we let Sammy go to Peterborough.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, shouldn’t write him off.  I certainly don’t “not rate him”.  I think he has talent....I just wish he’d show it, unless of course the odd goal and a 6 gone spell 3 years ago were the exception???

He is a player who is too often referred to as “been excellent on the training ground”.

My main problem with COD is that, for a midfielder, he doesn't ever seem to have the balls to go into a challenge where he may get hurt; he holds himself back. This isn't an attribute which can be learned or acquired. In the Championship especially, midfielders need to be more combative than COD evidences, IMO.

Regarding Weimann, I sincerely hope that he makes a speedy and full recovery.

2 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

My main problem with COD is that, for a midfielder, he doesn't ever seem to have the balls to go into a challenge where he may get hurt; he holds himself back. This isn't an attribute which can be learned or acquired. In the Championship especially, midfielders need to be more combative than COD evidences, IMO.

This is balls. If you use yer balls to challenge someone with the ball, it is not balls that you are in want of. Oh dear, this going to be a long, arduous winter.....

Very sad for Weimann. He has a great attitude and work rate and that will be missed. Gives an opportunity for someone else, we have good strength in depth in his position so not the same level of concern if it was a Bently, Kalas,Paterson etc.

Still got Bakinson,Brunt,Nagy and Massengo....with Pato too.....plenty of depth there. With Walsh and Williams to return.

Could his unfortunate injury press Holden into a selection that could actually benefit us? Wouldn't surprise me.

I think COD could make the step up. Seems like a long time ago now, but he had a great run of form two seasons ago scoring at home to Cardiff sticks in the mind. Then he got injured and never really ever made it back into the team. 

There’s a player there. I hope he steps up.

5 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I think COD could make the step up. Seems like a long time ago now, but he had a great run of form two seasons ago scoring at home to Cardiff sticks in the mind. Then he got injured and never really ever made it back into the team. 

I have some sympathy for him as he hasnt had a run for a long period of time. His best position is as a winger....we dont play with wingers meaning one minute he is a cam then a cm then a wing back. Mostly short sub appearances.

Personally I wouldn't have offered him a new deal, as I'm not sure he warranted it but now he is here he deserves a chance as he is probably the most direct player we now have.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Irony is twofold here.

Sessegnon came in on Saturday as a result of rotation & he got injured straight away.

Genuinely think Holden was just about to start doing so, what were there? 5 changes on Saturday? Expected another 4 or 5 tonight prior to the injuries, there now may well be 6..

Yep, Holden said he went into Boro with the same side because he thought 2 games in 4 days after a two week break was ok...but the third game was a game too far, hence the changes.

6 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Totally agree.  If you watch him and Paterson (another without bottle, albeit other skills) they rarely get into situations where they genuinely have to make a “hard tackle”....they are always just that bit too far away to have to make a challenge.  It’s quite easy to spot.  Most of Callum’s challenges are when he’s in possession and over-runs it.

If you go back and watch two games last season:

1. Wednesday (h) - he over-runs the ball and catches Whickham over the ball and could easily have been a red card.  It wasn’t him being nasty, he looked absolutely petrified Whickham was gonna whack him.
  2. Forest (a) - got kicked in the throat in opening 15 seconds by Cash.  Ok, that was nasty, but for the rest of the half he had chances to nail Cash and timidly allowed him time and space each time.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t want him to be reckless but I want him to understand how competitive this division is and many players wouldn’t think twice of nailing him given the chance to win the ball and go through the man at the same time.  He lacks any edge whatsoever.

Imho it is this reason why he can’t brings the skills he has to the fore, why he might look good in training, or at least better against the teams that allow you a bit of time and space.  Funnily enough, Norwich are coming up...and if he wants to use that as a stimulus to get his game going, then great....but be prepared to get stuck in too!  This is probably his best chance to repair what has been a wasteful 18/24 months.

6 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

2017/18 - got injured at Hull.  3 years ago!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, Holden said he went into Boro with the same side because he thought 2 games in 4 days after a two week break was ok...but the third game was a game too far, hence the changes.

Totally agree.  If you watch him and Paterson (another without bottle, albeit other skills) they rarely get into situations where they genuinely have to make a “hard tackle”....they are always just that bit too far away to have to make a challenge.  It’s quite easy to spot.  Most of Callum’s challenges are when he’s in possession and over-runs it.

If you go back and watch two games last season:

1. Wednesday (h) - he over-runs the ball and catches Whickham over the ball and could easily have been a red card.  It wasn’t him being nasty, he looked absolutely petrified Whickham was gonna whack him.
  2. Forest (a) - got kicked in the throat in opening 15 seconds by Cash.  Ok, that was nasty, but for the rest of the half he had chances to nail Cash and timidly allowed him time and space each time.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t want him to be reckless but I want him to understand how competitive this division is and many players wouldn’t think twice of nailing him given the chance to win the ball and go through the man at the same time.  He lacks any edge whatsoever.

Imho it is this reason why he can’t brings the skills he has to the fore, why he might look good in training, or at least better against the teams that allow you a bit of time and space.  Funnily enough, Norwich are coming up...and if he wants to use that as a stimulus to get his game going, then great....but be prepared to get stuck in too!  This is probably his best chance to repair what has been a wasteful 18/24 months.

Holden made the mistake in thinking this Boro side are the same animal that we walked all over last season. 

45 minutes ago, Prinny said:

What we need to do is back him and give him another new contract. It doesn't matter about his previous record, of the outright favouritism shown to him.

I'm saying 4 more years.

Over 47 years 130 chances weren't enough.

!Vote Biden O'Dowda 2020!

But genuinely, he has all the tools to play this 8 role, if he can't, he can't play any role. He can carry the ball, he can work hard, and he has the pace to hurt the opposition. He just never does it consistently, so let's give him one final chance.

I want to see him have a chance in the 8 role until the international break.

If he doesn't perform, he can stay in Ireland. Or swim back. I'm done with him if he fails to take this chance.

I agree with much of this. O'Dowda is no longer a "young" player making his way where you both accept and EXPECT inconsistency. This really feels like now is his chance to show us the player that people believe is in that body of his. If he doesn't show us over the next few months then I fail to see where else he can go at the club. You can't wait for players to perform for ever.............he now has another and probably final chance. It's in his hands.

4 minutes ago, LeeJohnsonsFlatCap said:

Might sound a bit weird, but I feel like we do better when we have injuries in the squad, e.g Carabao Cup season

In the short term injuries force a Manager's hand and can change a pre-conceived way of thinking so using our current injury situation the Weimann/Paterson combination in midfield that Holden appears to like but which has undeniably struggled over the last 2-3 games is now history. Hopefully he will find a more "solid" midfield three without sacrificing our ability to score goals.

9 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Gutted for AW not everyone’s cup of tea but I rate him . Wishing him a full recovery. My not see him in a city shirt again 

If he manages to get onto the field before the end of the season (unlikely, but possible), I have a feeling he could get an extension. Clearly a favourite of Holden's, so if he manages to come back early, I think he could still be part of plans

8 minutes ago, underhanded said:

If he manages to get onto the field before the end of the season (unlikely, but possible), I have a feeling he could get an extension. Clearly a favourite of Holden's, so if he manages to come back early, I think he could still be part of plans

Club have year option on him.

Archived