IGNORED

Promotion Derailed

Abraham Romanovich

Just our luck with Dean still at the helm and an injury free squad and finally enough clubs in the bag  it looks like our push for promotion could be put on hold, apparently  a massive asteroid named after Apophis - the 'God of Chaos' -is gaining  speed as it travels towards Earth with a potential impact date of 2068 in explosion that would be equivalent to 880 MILLION tons of TNT.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8886301/Asteroid-named-God-Chaos-gaining-speed-travels-Earth.html

5 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Just our luck with Dean still at the helm and an injury free squad and finally enough clubs in the bag  it looks like our push for promotion could be put on hold, apparently  a massive asteroid named after Apophis - the 'God of Chaos' -is gaining  speed as it travels towards Earth with a potential impact date of 2068 in explosion that would be equivalent to 880 MILLION tons of TNT.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8886301/Asteroid-named-God-Chaos-gaining-speed-travels-Earth.html

Appointing Holden really was a sliding doors moment. We went with Holden and the God of Chaos destroys the planet.

Had we given the job to Hughton, the earth would have been hit by an asteroid made of cider that would spread joy across the globe.

I blame Mark Ashton aka the God of Trading Players.

38 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

When Asteroids are named something like ‘CS-1769832-3457-6’ then you know they’re generally nothing to worry about.

When they actually call one particular Asteroid ‘Apophis - God of Chaos’ it’s gives you an idea of its importance to us on Earth.

I am of the opinion that it's just not going to happen for us. Promotion from this level. 

We've managed it twice, and that's it.

It's just never going to happen people. 

By hook or by crook, we are destined to be the one remaining club that "should" or "ought" to have played in the PL never to do so. 

A combination of unfathomable rotten luck (injuries, refereeing decisions, bounce of the ball), and by our own hand, our own failings (managerial appointments, recruitment etc) will mean that we are forever frustrated (in getting to the top. If that's your dream for this club).

We are stuck in one of those agonising dreams where things conspire against you and you are powerless to do anything about it (whilst quibbling for years on here about ffp, selection, formations, tactics and other largely irrelevant stuff). Only we never wake from this dream.

It just goes on.

I was reminded of this last week when The Times football pages listed the 14 clubs that were in the third tier in 1992/3 that have since gone on to reach the PL (and one 4th division club. Whilst we were in the second tier of course). I was away for a few days but could not get away from The Times taunting me with this, and we cannot get away from the FACT! that not every club will achieve promotion from this level.

And I cannot get away from the rather sombre thought that it just is not ever going to happen for us.

Now we wake up to yet more injury woe.

Not that the PL is particularly enticing, or the be-all-and-end-all, unpleasant entity that it is, but the whole idea of football is to win and finish as high as you can. To achieve something. If you are not in the top division then promotion is the ultimate achievement.

It's like Christmas this year - it just isn't happening, and it's better to get used to the idea than keeping on hoping and wishing that it is. Or was. 

Merry Christmas everyone, and Come on you Reds (see if we can match Lee's 8th place. Once we have safely seen off relegation this season, that is).

50 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Looks like my 105th birthday is going to be a memorable one, then..

Well the good news is that they have almost certainly miscalculated.

The bad news is that by taking the Yarkovsky Effect into consideration I’ve calculated that impact should happen next Tuesday.

Have a good weekend.

5 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Well the good news is that they have almost certainly miscalculated.

The bad news is that by taking the Yarkovsky Effect into consideration I’ve calculated that impact should happen next Tuesday.

Have a good weekend.

There is also good news. If you calculate in the Bas Savage effect it will actually miss by some margin, and that's if it even gets this far.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

By 105 I doubt very much that there will be any “banging”..

Probably more: "Nurse, did the Earth just move for you or did I just pass wind"

Archived