IGNORED

The FA's Football Leadership Diversity Code

CheddarReds

Morning all,

a link to the FA's new Football Leadership Diversity Code: https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/oct/27/football-leadership-diversity-code-launched-271020

Any thoughts on this? 

First thing was I noticed we aren't one of the clubs to have committed to adopting the code. 

Also I don't understand how the targets will work with regards to ensuring the best candidates get the job. 

Towards the bottom of the link, it states one male and one female BAME candidate should be shortlisted for interview provided they meet the job specifications

However, what if BAME candidates that apply for roles simply don't meet the job specifications? Or there's a white candidate with more experience and qualifications? Would the club be punished or frowned upon for not hitting their diversity recruitment targets?

I really want to support ideas that provide more opportunity to BAME and women in sport and across the rest of society but hitting quotas doesn't feel like the way to do it. I'd hate the idea of being hired knowing that I'm just there to tick a box. This is something Tyrone Mings alluded as well (https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tyrone-mings-black-lives-matter-football-leadership-diversity-code-fa-b1378184.html). Also should quotas like these also be applied to 100m sprinting or basketball to ensure white males are better represented too? 

Surely the way forward would be to provide opportunities to BAME and women across society at a younger age, by putting money into communities that need it to ensure they get a better level of education, have opportunities for extra curricular activities that they may be unable to afford and that keep them away from distractions, something like releasing financial stress (obvious example at the moment is free school meals) etc etc so they are provided with equal opportunities at an early age that bears fruition as they hit working age? 

I don't know, I was just hoping to hear some thoughts really as I don't know if my own bias and privilege as a white male is just getting defensive or something after reading proposals like this. 

18 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Morning all,

a link to the FA's new Football Leadership Diversity Code: https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/oct/27/football-leadership-diversity-code-launched-271020

Any thoughts on this? 

First thing was I noticed we aren't one of the clubs to have committed to adopting the code. 

Also I don't understand how the targets will work with regards to ensuring the best candidates get the job. 

Towards the bottom of the link, it states one male and one female BAME candidate should be shortlisted for interview provided they meet the job specifications

However, what if BAME candidates that apply for roles simply don't meet the job specifications? Or there's a white candidate with more experience and qualifications? Would the club be punished or frowned upon for not hitting their diversity recruitment targets?

I really want to support ideas that provide more opportunity to BAME and women in sport and across the rest of society but hitting quotas doesn't feel like the way to do it. I'd hate the idea of being hired knowing that I'm just there to tick a box. This is something Tyrone Mings alluded as well (https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tyrone-mings-black-lives-matter-football-leadership-diversity-code-fa-b1378184.html). Also should quotas like these also be applied to 100m sprinting or basketball to ensure white males are better represented too? 

Surely the way forward would be to provide opportunities to BAME and women across society at a younger age, by putting money into communities that need it to ensure they get a better level of education, have opportunities for extra curricular activities that they may be unable to afford and that keep them away from distractions, something like releasing financial stress (obvious example at the moment is free school meals) etc etc so they are provided with equal opportunities at an early age that bears fruition as they hit working age? 

I don't know, I was just hoping to hear some thoughts really as I don't know if my own bias and privilege as a white male is just getting defensive or something after reading proposals like this. 

You say it yourself, it's a shortlist for an interview if they meet the specifications.

Not a job. Not a guaranteed hire.

It's only problematic if it's mandatory, and there are quotas (i.e. equality of outcome)

Not a single white male will miss out on an interview under this VOLUNTARY code. So there's no need to be defensive as a white male.

I don't have a problem with us not signing up to it, we already have BAME people working at the club in coaching roles, and recently interviewed one based on his merits not his skin colour for the managerial/head coach position. I have every confidence we will interview who WE think are the best candidates already, i have less confidence we have any idea who they are or we'll select them!, but that's a different matter.

All this is is a virtue signal. Look at us we ticked a box and jumped through a hope, we're not racist promise (please don't burn down our business!) it changes nothing. It hasn't changed anything in the NFL to the point where there were discussions around competition incentives (improved draft picks) for hiring minorities a few months back.

You either have someone who will hire people based on their ability or you don't.

By signing up to the Football Leadership Diversity Code, clubs pledge to create an equality, diversity and inclusion plan which applies hiring targets while adopting specific recruitment principles. The targets, which will become effective immediately, include:-

SENIOR LEADERSHIP AND TEAM OPERATIONS
• 15% of new hires will be Black, Asian or of Mixed-Heritage [or a target set by the club based on local demographics]
• 30% of new hires will be female

COACHING: MEN’S PROFESSIONAL CLUBS
• 25% of new hires will be Black, Asian or of Mixed-Heritage
• 10% of new senior coaching hires will be Black, Asian or of Mixed-Heritage

COACHING: WOMEN’S PROFESSIONAL CLUBS
• 50% of new hires will be female

Mass box ticking.

No LGBT quota's then? That will follow.

You can also guarantee that all clubs will be obliged to comply with this in due course or face 45 points deduction/£25m fine or similar.

I understand that something needs to be done to improve "genuine opportunity" (if you get a genuine opportunity and mess up then don't expect a club to hire you on skin colour) but I think quota's is not necessarily the best way of going about it. You will inevitably end up in situations where the next person in HAS to be black or HAS to be a woman to hit quota.

Absolute nonsense 

I couldn’t care less if everyone of our employees was BAME , if they were the best people for the job

Jobs should go to the best candidate available , regardless of their race , sexual orientation , gender or anything else

Forcing clubs to employ a percentage of any particular group is a complete nonsense 

Archived