IGNORED

Last chance saloon for Nagy and Massengo?

Bassomylord

With Walsh and Williams seemingly some way off, Brunt in his mid 30s and Bakinson very young.....surely chances will now come for Massengo and Nagy? Especially with so many games in a short space of time.

Massengo obviously very young but has shown what he can do, Nagy was highly rated in Europe but hasnt kicked on.....you have to think they will get some game time in the coming weeks.

Both fighting for their BCFC future? When others return they will be well back down the pecking order?

I for one would like them to get some game time, both have potential to be good championship players....

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

One is a child who has probably played more than anyone expected, the other a long term injury sufferer who has been finding their way back.

Given how we started this season, who would you have dropped, given results couldn't have been much better?

I think you have misunderstood my post. I dont think either of them should have been in the starting xi so far this season.

What I'm saying is, with midfield injuries, surely they will get some game time.....and with players to come back surely this is their last chance to impress? As if they dont they will be well down the list again.

I said on another thread recently that who knows, fate might still conspire to bring them back into the picture, and little did I know that Weimann would be ruled out (or that Walsh and Williams would take so long to recover).

We've got to the point now where both Nagy and Massengo have a chance of making the bench when they looked miles off before.

It gives them that opportunity to do what Bakinson did and take advantage of that time on the pitch to impress.

Let's say Brunt plays a big part tonight but his body is shattered for Saturday. Nagy might find himself starting on the weekend. If he then, fired up, plays out of his skin...anything becomes possible. 

9 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

I think you have misunderstood my post. I dont think either of them should have been in the starting xi so far this season.

What I'm saying is, with midfield injuries, surely they will get some game time.....and with players to come back surely this is their last chance to impress? As if they dont they will be well down the list again.

1 minute ago, Bassomylord said:

But when else is he going to get an opportunity? If he doesnt get it now why would he suddenly get it with Walsh and William's fit.

Injuries, resting players, rotating for FA cup games, he impresses in training, Walsh and Williams are unable to maintain perfect form and fitness for the whole season! You're right when will they ever get an opportunity again! 

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Injuries, resting players, rotating for FA cup games, he impresses in training, Walsh and Williams are unable to maintain perfect form and fitness for the whole season! You're right when will they ever get an opportunity again! 

We have a soothsayer.

2 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

We have a soothsayer.

Not really, you are the one predicting that an 18 year might be in last chance saloon! ? I'm simply guessing that there maybe two CM's who are currently injured may not come back and stay 100% fit and in form for the entire season! And/or that we may decide to rotate/rest players - don't need to be Nostradamus to make that kind of prediction,

I do think this could be an important time for Nagy, he looked to be at the very back of the queue a week ago but with Williams & Walsh still injured, Weimann out for the season & a lot of games in a short period he may well get his chance.

Can’t get exercised by this nonsense about Massengo though, the kid is barely 19 & has already played a lot of football here.

I’m hoping we see him as part of our plans for the long term, he is much younger than loads of those we currently have out on loan in the lower leagues.

13 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yet you cream yourself over Barry Bannan

Brilliant.......

Bannan has excellent upper body strength which currently Nagy and Massengo don’t have much of. Plus Bannan rarely gets too involved in the hurly burly but is nonetheless a very influential and creative midfielder and neither Nagy or Massengo are at his creative level - yet.

Given time I can see Massengo becoming as good as Bannan.

28 minutes ago, mozo said:

I said on another thread recently that who knows, fate might still conspire to bring them back into the picture, and little did I know that Weimann would be ruled out (or that Walsh and Williams would take so long to recover).

We've got to the point now where both Nagy and Massengo have a chance of making the bench when they looked miles off before.

It gives them that opportunity to do what Bakinson did and take advantage of that time on the pitch to impress.

Let's say Brunt plays a big part tonight but his body is shattered for Saturday. Nagy might find himself starting on the weekend. If he then, fired up, plays out of his skin...anything becomes possible. 

This is why I don’t get too hooked up on “best eleven” and boringly why I don’t think it’s too good to look more than a couple of games ahead at most.

Posts of Nagy and Massengo out of favour last week show how quickly things change in football.

Both are good enough, it’s up to them to show it, given the chance.  Both were part of the eleven that won back to back against Huddersfield then Fulham (a) last season. 

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

it’s a familiar point from me but the ‘problem’ with Nagy and Massengo is their bulk or rather lack of it.  Both are skilled footballers but to me just too lightweight. 

There are too many examples to list here of players who's lack of bulk or physical stature has been no bar to them becoming good if not world class players a players size is often used as an excuse as to why they won't make it which I find a bit strange. maybe being 5 foot 6 would stop you becoming a centre half or goalkeeper but shouldn't be a barrier in a lot of positions, I mean Lionel Messi is not exactly big is he.  

1 minute ago, pillred said:

There are too many examples to list here of players who's lack of bulk or physical stature has been no bar to them becoming good if not world class players a players size is often used as an excuse as to why they won't make it which I find a bit strange. maybe being 5 foot 6 would stop you becoming a centre half or goalkeeper but shouldn't be a barrier in a lot of positions, I mean Lionel Messi is not exactly big is he.  

One of the toughest players we’ve had ,certainly in a tackle was............

Steve Galliers

Attitude , desire and some b***s is the crux 

22 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Not really, you are the one predicting that an 18 year might be in last chance saloon! ? I'm simply guessing that there maybe two CM's who are currently injured may not come back and stay 100% fit and in form for the entire season! And/or that we may decide to rotate/rest players - don't need to be Nostradamus to make that kind of prediction,

Once again you miss the point. 18 years old is irrelevant when he has a fixed contract with us, unless of course your expecting him to get a 5 year contract extension due to his unwavering loyalty to Bristol City. On this talk of age is great, but means very little when he can just move on to somewhere else.

38 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Massengo, Nagy and Palmer all signed at the start of last season. Maybe not as good of a transfer window as I had originally thought...

Ah but we bought Szmodics too soooooo....

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is why I don’t get too hooked up on “best eleven” and boringly why I don’t think it’s too good to look more than a couple of games ahead at most.

Posts of Nagy and Massengo out of favour last week show how quickly things change in football.

Both are good enough, it’s up to them to show it, given the chance.  Both were part of the eleven that won back to back against Huddersfield then Fulham (a) last season. 

Hard to imagine a Nagy/Massengo midfield engine room. Did that really happen? 

This team has gone through some real shapeshifting in the past 14 months, it feels like several different eras in a short space 9f time.

55 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

But when else is he going to get an opportunity? If he doesnt get it now why would he suddenly get it with Walsh and William's fit.

Is Liam Walsh better than Pirlo? Am I missing something because as it stands right now I've never seen the kid do anything of real note at Championship level? That's not to say he won't but neither is it guaranteed.

36 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

One of the toughest players we’ve had ,certainly in a tackle was............

Steve Galliers

Attitude , desire and some b***s is the crux 

Those tight shorts in the 80s left nothing to the imagination did they! ???

25 minutes ago, mozo said:

Ah but we bought Szmodics too soooooo....

Hard to imagine a Nagy/Massengo midfield engine room. Did that really happen? 

This team has gone through some real shapeshifting in the past 14 months, it feels like several different eras in a short space 9f time.

Certainly did, with Brownhill. 

46 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Is Liam Walsh better than Pirlo? Am I missing something because as it stands right now I've never seen the kid do anything of real note at Championship level? That's not to say he won't but neither is it guaranteed.

You are right, plus he hasnt played a game in 7 months... williams was signed and has been injured ever since, but when someone else signs a wigan player not only is he fit, but he smashes one in the top corner against us. 

2 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

With Walsh and Williams seemingly some way off, Brunt in his mid 30s and Bakinson very young.....surely chances will now come for Massengo and Nagy? Especially with so many games in a short space of time.

Massengo obviously very young but has shown what he can do, Nagy was highly rated in Europe but hasnt kicked on.....you have to think they will get some game time in the coming weeks.

Both fighting for their BCFC future? When others return they will be well back down the pecking order?

I for one would like them to get some game time, both have potential to be good championship players...

I hope you are right but I doubt you will be. Both have shown they are not up to it at Championship level. 

10 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Pretty sure when we signed Massengo that Johnson described him as more of an attacking midfielder rather than a defensive one.

For me now is the time for him to be given a chance with a run of games- he’s earnt that more than COD or Nagy 

Yes, played on the side of a diamond for Monaco and even as the no10 / tip of the diamond for France u19s.

Archived