IGNORED

Bournemouth v Bristol City Match Day 8

2 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

A pretty close game against a decent Bournemouth team.. but I would of liked to see subs come on sooner!

Agreed. This place is so predictably negative. I get it, I bloody hate losing too but the discussion is so much better when it’s not 5 minutes after we lose ha. 

Thought a very good ex-Prem side massively stepped their game up after HT and snuck a 1-0 win. We were not quite good enough.

Good performance tonight, attacking and on the front foot for the first half but unfortunately tired second half. Difference between the sides was they had a good opportunity and took it. Need to stay positive as we never expected to be this high up beginning of the season and If we’re to continue putting performances in like that against the rest of the league we will come out on top. Much improved after the last couple of games. Criticise players if you feel the need but player for player we matched a lower prem team and they will definitely be up there this season.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not a result to overreact about.

Decent performance first half, not good second half, but a narrow defeat against a side expected to be in the title race.

Rather than who the sub was, my issue is that the change was made too late. There were players struggling for 10 minutes or so before any change was made.

But over-react is what people on here do. Forget that a nailed on top 6 side with a far higher budget than us just beat us 1-0 at their place.......let’s just cry like babies about it!!

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Vyner and O'Dowda superb I thought. On another day we win or draw that game and people maybe would not be so negative.

wouldn’t say superb.... Vyner was as competent as the other back 3, COD “superb” vs Paterson, similar to Bakinson  

Changes were poor when we had defended well 2nd half. 
agree- needed some energy in the middle- not brunt  

Didn’t see the first half so can’t comment. 

Second half was a dominant display from a quality team. Kept chipping away going forwards, got what they deserved and kept us well and truly in their pockets in defence. 

I think DH got it wrong tonight too, fine you need to rotate, but plan so you don’t rotate your two best forwards both out against a top team.

Shame. Now 6th.

8 minutes ago, 054123 said:

The gulf in class was was quite embarrassing.

We were like the junior side who try really hard, but just aren’t that good.

Let’s get to 10 games and and then have an adult discussion about where we are as a club conjured to the previous 4 years.

Maybe try learning to count to 5 before offering analysis 

Watching the technical area the last couple  of seasons I’ve thought Holden did not agree with LJ on many of his decisions - tonight got me wondering was I wrong and the problem may have been that LJ had been agreeing with Holden! - that game was gone when we started with Fammy, certainly beyond saving when brunt came on! Pato was still waiting for Dorothy to take him up the yellow brick road!  Bringing on Wells and Martin way too late to change anything. Don’t start me in the neutrality of the ref, just rewatch the 3 on one with Fammy, sums the ref up perfectly!

Just now, redsocks said:

Now andis out for the season time to start slagging someone else off oh I now Patterson.

He was one of the better players 2nite.why when we lose fans on this forum like to slag off andi or pato.lets start supporting the players and stop slagging them off.

Sorry but he wasn’t one of the better players tonight. Disappears in games way to much . His main role in the side is to create chances. He doesn’t do it anywhere near enough 

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I thought he ran himself into the ground tonight, or maybe I was watching a different game.

Different game, I kept an eye on both him and O'Dowda tonight.

The latter had to cover 6 times where Pato cheaply gave away possession or didn't challenge two 50:50's, and absolutely ran his socks off.

JP also had 4 oppurtunities for key passes in the last 30 minutes and bottled every. single. one.

It's no coincidence that we ceded the midfield more and more as Callum tired - Brunt moved alongside him was too much to cover for; too immobile as a midfield unit.

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Still maintain Pato and Hunt were liabilities tonight; everyone else was at least a solid 7/10.

Brunt on was the incorrect call imo, would have gone for Nagy for the legs in the middle with O'Dowda likely tiring, who for me was motm.

Martin needed to come on 10 minutes earlier (at least).

You seem to have forgotten the first half...

Wonderful how everyone knows, in retrospect, what substitutions he should have made.  Taking off Semenyo for more in midfield was a no-brainer.  If you think that game was crying out for the introduction of Nagy with 20 minutes to go, then I’d like some of whatever you’re drinking!  I can hardly think of a less suitable game for bringing Nagy on.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Hard to criticise much there. We should have have taken at least 3 great chances first half and unlucky not to get 2 others as well.

Not scoring any of those chances I thought we might regret.

Not really any bad performances other than subs that came on all fairly poor. But the rest of the team were so knackered by that point.

Vyner and O'Dowda superb I thought. On another day we win or draw that game and people maybe would not be so negative.

Changes were poor when we had defended well 2nd half. 

Agree with Vyner, best performance this season. Not on the O'Dowda is shit band wagon, but saw little of any worth, no direct running, no through balls just move the ball up so far then pass sideways or backwards. Nagy or HNM would have been better.

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Hardly surprising when you don't have a single quality playmaker. Bafflingly we sold the only player who could consistently create chances (Eliasson)

Where would you have played him tonight? I just don’t see how you get him in that set up 

1 minute ago, dave36 said:

Watching the technical area the last couple  of seasons I’ve thought Holden did not agree with LJ on many of his decisions - tonight got me wondering was I wrong and the problem may have been that LJ had been agreeing with Holden! - that game was gone when we started with Fammy, certainly beyond saving when brunt came on! Pato was still waiting for Dorothy to take him up the yellow brick road!  Bringing on Wells and Martin way too late to change anything. Don’t start me in the neutrality of the ref, just rewatch the 3 on one with Fammy, sums the ref up perfectly!

Bit harsh - at least he can score goals, unlike Martin and Semenyo

Don’t think either Pato or CoD like the rain. 

Both were decent up until the rain storm. Then all their energy and fight just evaporated. Was really hoping that they would both give a full on 90 minutes but, it seems, they just can’t. 

Deano. Over to you matey. 

Big mistake not identifying that on 60 minutes both were running on empty. Big mistake for putting on Brunt when we were being run ragged with quick, high tempo players. Big mistake taking Semenyo off. 

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Can’t pass, can’t cross and can’t throw in to a city player - what game are you watching then?

I have moaned about him many times. Particularly when attending games and it seems there is a hole behind him. He does misplace passes but he gets assists too and he makes vital interceptions at the back to beak up play. I think he looks to force the issue sometimes and those players (like Paterson) can look bad when the movement isn’t right, the opposition are good or the set up is wrong. 

I didn’t think it was his fault when you posted, but I have to agree he tired and got worse. 

Also when you posted I still thought we were playing well and I’m taking the game to them we were trying to be brave / positive.

Maybe you are right. 

On to the next one 

I don't want to be overly critical, as before kick-off I would have been surprised to come away with anything tonight. 

However, the Brunt sub was the turning point for me. Plus the fact that we waited until 75 mins had been played to make the first change. The players looked exhausted at this point. We took off Semenyo (granted he took a knock not long before) and set up in a 5-4-1. This invited them on further at a time where they were already controlling the play. 

The Brunt signing as a whole frustrates me. He isn't mobile in the slightest, and the game was end-to-end at that point. I felt the sensible choice would have been Nagy as he is suited to this type of game where energy is key. 

My main concern with Brunt is he always looks to play the same forward pass, identical in fact to the type of pass Kasey Palmer gets criticised for trying, yet Brunt attempts it from a position 20 yards deeper. 

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Wow

Why wow Pete?

Im trying to be objective. I don’t think Bournemouth looked bothered by us at all.

I like Vyner, Kalas and Moore. 

We seem to like any ability to changed things up, change our tempo or pattern.

Just like with Lee, when it works, great, when it doesn’t, well...

It doesn’t mean we’ll go down, but I don’t think we’ll go up.

But as I say, let’s get a good chunk of games under the belt, then we can have a discussion.

Archived