IGNORED

Bournemouth v Bristol City Match Day 8

Not a good game by us 1st half ok however there was only going to be one winner in the 2nd , the similarities with the football from last season is there to see, injuries have take the momentum we where building and can’t blame Holden/Ashton for that but can see a struggle this season,if Dasilva is fit enough for the bench why isn’t he starting not criticising Rowe he is a solid just not spectacular, frustrating when we have better options not starting Same with Wells our best forward on the bench, 

Losing when you're so close to get a good point is bitter...but the team showed positive things in the 1st half and defended well in the 2nd half. 

The next step is to perform well for 90 minutes: giving midfield more balance and make better subs during the games would be an improvement.

1 minute ago, Red white and red said:

So many seasons we have been reactive rather than pro-active. Same again tonight. Fresh legs we’re needed after the hour mark. Half the team looked absolutely knackered. Naive coaching in my opinion. 

Would love to know why they were any more knackered than Bournemouth.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Hard to criticise much there. We should have have taken at least 3 great chances first half and unlucky not to get 2 others as well.

Not scoring any of those chances I thought we might regret.

Not really any bad performances other than subs that came on all fairly poor. But the rest of the team were so knackered by that point.

Vyner and O'Dowda superb I thought. On another day we win or draw that game and people maybe would not be so negative.

Changes were poor when we had defended well 2nd half. 

Jon really , the O’dowda obsession ? he did nothing more than anyone else tonight. He created nothing ,he  along with pato we were toothless 

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Don’t think either Pato or CoD like the rain. 

Both were decent up until the rain storm. Then all their energy and fight just evaporated. Was really hoping that they would both give a full on 90 minutes but, it seems, they just can’t. 

Deano. Over to you matey. 

Big mistake not identifying that on 60 minutes both were running on empty. Big mistake for putting on Brunt when we were being run ragged with quick, high tempo players. Big mistake taking Semenyo off. 

Can’t go along with that, Pato hid most of the first half only bothering to play when in space and certainly did not make himself available for any throw ins, second half got quite a lot of the ball in space and gave it away!
O’Dowda did not stop all game, did not shy away from contact at all. midfield was invisible when brunt came on and the attacking subs were way too late!

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You seem to have forgotten the first half...

Wonderful how everyone knows, in retrospect, what substitutions he should have made.  Taking off Semenyo for more in midfield was a no-brainer.  If you think that game was crying out for the introduction of Nagy with 20 minutes to go, then I’d like some of whatever you’re drinking!  I can hardly think of a less suitable game for bringing Nagy on.

Matter of opinion Dolman - I didn't forget it all.

We played well first half, but even then, the two main culprits that gave away possession were...?

Nagy at least moves the ball quickly. The second we started losing the midfield (specifically JP not winning a single second ball), something needed to change, as you note re Semenyo for Brunt

The number of times Pato ran himself into cul-de-sacs, took too many touches, or passed poorly were constant throughout the game.

2 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Losing when you're so close to get a good point is bitter...but the team showed positive things in the 1st half and defended well in the 2nd half. 

The next step is to perform well for 90 minutes: giving midfield more balance and make better subs during the games could be vital in some matches.

I don’t think the back 3 have been a problem. I’ve been really impressed with Moore and Vyner overall.

We lack tempo and guile in attack.

Our biggest problem though is the unforced errors, and people like O’Diwda and Hunt who for all of their keepy ups and bleep test success, just seem to lack awareness and perception of the game around them.

4 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

The next step is to perform well for 90 minutes: giving midfield more balance and make better subs during the games would be an improvement.

Perform well for 90 minutes? We’ve been looking for that golden egg since December 2017!

Think our intent swapped from playing our game to contain at half time. Much the better team in the first half and looked worthy of a win. Second half we were happier to sit back and try and take chances to get forward rather than forcing and working them like first half. The Brunt sub was strange, Diedhiou alone upfront filled me with no confidence, Antoine is better at controlling long balls and was playing well enough and had more energy left. Waiting until the 78th minute to make a sub when the energy levels had really dropped off as well wasn't great.

Going off Fevs 6 being average rating

Bentley - 6

Hunt - 6 (good defensively, not great with the ball)

Vyner - 7

Kalas - 6.5

Moore - 7

Rowe - 6

Paterson - 6.5 (signs of his ability today in patches)

Bakinson - 7 

O'Dowda - 7 (retained possession well, collected and passed off quickly. Number of good defensive actions)

Semenyo - 6.5

Diedhiou - 5

Can't be bothered with subs

I thought it was 60:40 in our favour at half time. We were more consistently on top, but Bournemouth had a good spell and always threatened on the break. Our wing backs were totally pinned back and couldn't get in the game.

Second half they changed things, and I don't mean this as a negative against Holden but that's what good managers will do. I think Dean took too long to react, and when he did it was probably the wrong call, and perhaps too late. They'd worked us out, we were tiring, and they were well on top.

Overall a decent performance though, good to see O'Dowda play well as I was pretty down when seeing his name on the list at the start. I thought Vyner was much more solid as well, and can't really blame him for the goal - great moment on quality from them.

Not a disaster, but I'm disappointed we let a close or favoured game get away from us like that.

Archived