IGNORED

Bournemouth v Bristol City Match Day 8

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yes Callum!

Pato in again is surprising. I know Holden likes him but I would have thought he'd be on the bench today. Bakinson back in right call.

I think it shows that Holden is determined to have an attacking threat from his 8s. If it was about energy, Nagy and Massengo would be more than suitable. It's the attacking threat that Holden seems to be keen on.

17 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Semenyo needs to score tonight to repay Deano's confidence in him. I don't think he'll let him down. Take your chance kid !

Fam and Semenyo both need to grasp this opportunity.

25 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Gone for energy in midfield and a strike force to enable us to get up the pitch quickly. 

Exactly this. Not rocket science if you engage your brain rather than just spout from the gut.

I'm no O'Dowda fan, just think it obvious why Holden has picked him - based on the teams he's selected since he became caretaker. I'd select differently but understand Holden's logic.

We're away from home, so pick the more conservative Rowe at LWB (Dasilva may also need to be eased back in after injury). Then tactically go long a bit more than usual, make sure Fam plays up against Kelly as much as possible - get physical, give him hell, he doesn't like it up him Capt Mainwaring.   

Just now, Northern Red said:

The weird thing is that most of the people complaining about that starting midfield think that the ones on the bench are shit as well, so I'm not sure what they actually think the team should be?

Was thinking the same

For all the ‘That side is s**t’ I’m intrigued as to who they would have picked

The side I would have picked save I had Brunt for Pato but with their two in midfield Pato could have an influential game

12 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

Cod needs a good game, bet he's desperate to impress

Hasn’t seemed that desperate in the last 4 seasons. You reckon the Weimann shaped hole will inspire him to make that role his own?

Great opportunity for him to seize it, and really be involved in the match.

I fear another Ineffective  evening on the periphery.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hope we can take advantage of the CM2 (with our 3) and force them to do something about their decent from 3 of King, Solanke and Stanislas.

Yeah the spare CM is the key for us, who it is, when and how they play will be key IMO! Whether covering, or being that overload in attack.

Fam needs to hold up the ball properly today, and we can't hoof it at him.

We got the big clues on selection, Wells dropped IMO as I thought before, Rowe 1st choice LWB, O'Dowda definitely next man up so formation over form (as Brunt and Bakinson both played well!), and the first team squad > positional flexibility for the bench.

I'm scared at the 1v1s wing back to wing back and their forwards to our left and right CBs!

I'm not optimistic about this line up, I don't think O'Dowda is a central midfielder at all, as much as I think he has potential I don't see him producing it with us and I think he's overwhelmed in the middle too easily.

Wells and Martin on the bench also confuses me, they're far more likely to give Brentford some issue but I'm happy for Fammy and Semenyo to prove me wrong.

2 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Hasn’t seemed that desperate in the last 4 seasons. You reckon the Weimann shaped hole will inspire him to make that role his own?

Great opportunity for him to seize it, and really be involved in the match.

I fear another Ineffective  evening on the periphery.

MOTM performance coming up! :chant6ez:

32 minutes ago, One Team said:

It beggars belief mate.

What has Deano learnt in training he hasn’t seen in the last four years? How he starts ahead of Brunt, Nagy and Massengo I will never know. 

It doesn't beggar belief. If you are beggared by his selection, you don't understand modern football. Simple as that.

Btw - I don't agree with it, neither. But I do understand the theory behind it - all the top teams playing a midfield 3 these days want 1 of them to be someone who covers lots of ground, who can carry the ball quickly in transition from one end to the other, who can get you up the pitch with a lung bursting run with the ball rather than taking an age with tippy tappy possession.

You've seen Kevin de Bruyne, right? The pre-eminent no.8 of recent times.

That's the theory with O'Dowda's continued selection.

You and I both know he can carry the ball from here to Timbuktu but at the end of it... there's no end product. You and I wouldn't pick him. We'd choose different tactics.

Holden isn't thinking like that - he's thinking about the theory of the ball carrying no.8 - plus how great O'Dowda looks in non-competitive 7-a-sides in training.

Cue O'Dowda wonder goal... 

Archived