IGNORED

Parallel universe /sliding door moments

The Humble Realist

Hi all, 

Football is such a game of fine margins...I'm sure as fans we have all thought what if a few times. 

Here's a few scenarios to consider that I think in the last 20 years would be interesting 

1. We beat Brighton in the play off final and cardiff and Danny wilson leads the club into the championship. Tinnion doesnt get the managers job...

2. We inexplicably bottle the promotion winning game v rotherham under GJ and end up crashing out of the play offs ...there is no run to Wembley a year later in the championship play offs and instead face another season (at least ) in league one

3. The one that hurts most...we beat hull at wembley and head into the premiership....

4. Under newly appointed sean o Driscoll we scrape enough points to  end to the season surviving on goal difference...we now face another season in the championship 

5. Lee Johnson is sacked in his first full season after the famous losing run...with the club struggling at the bottom of the league lansdown must now appoint a manager to keep us in the Divison 

6 . We win the carabo cup after defeating man city on penalties in the semi final and then winning at Wembley! We still tail off in the league but start the next season in the europa league 

Pick a moment (or one of your own ) and answer this 

What happend next?

Where would we be now?

I will pick the hull game...

We would have had a fun season in premiership but would have been relegated.  We would pull off a couple of famous victories .

Right now....we would be pretty much where we are currently ! But we might have got promoted and relegated again in the same time period. Crucially we would never have fallen into league one!

8 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Hi all, 

Football is such a game of fine margins...I'm sure as fans we have all thought what if a few times. 

Here's a few scenarios to consider that I think in the last 20 years would be interesting 

1. We beat Brighton in the play off final and cardiff and Danny wilson leads the club into the championship. Tinnion doesnt get the managers job...

2. We inexplicably bottle the promotion winning game v rotherham under GJ and end up crashing out of the play offs ...there is no run to Wembley a year later in the championship play offs and instead face another season (at least ) in league one

3. The one that hurts most...we beat hull at wembley and head into the premiership....

4. Under newly appointed sean o Driscoll we scrape enough points to  end to the season surviving on goal difference...we now face another season in the championship 

5. Lee Johnson is sacked in his first full season after the famous losing run...with the club struggling at the bottom of the league lansdown must now appoint a manager to keep us in the Divison 

6 . We win the carabo cup after defeating man city on penalties in the semi final and then winning at Wembley! We still tail off in the league but start the next season in the europa league 

Pick a moment (or one of your own ) and answer this 

What happend next?

Where would we be now?

I will pick the hull game...

We would have had a fun season in premiership but would have been relegated.  We would pull off a couple of famous victories .

Right now....we would be pretty much where we are currently ! But we might have got promoted and relegated again in the same time period. Crucially we would never have fallen into league one!

Following his “coming together” with Shilton, Cheesley's injury proved nothing more than a strain. He went on to be top scorer in the first division that season and gained his first England cap......................................

Just now, downendcity said:

Following his “coming together” with Shilton, Cheesley's injury proved nothing more than a strain. He went on to be top scorer in the first division that season and gained his first England cap......................................

However in the sliding doors version of the above....Les Bardsley, the club physio, is widely criticised on OTIB who blame our training regime involving circus seals.  Others blame the groundsman for the camber of the pitch resulting in an awkward landing.

22 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Whenever I see this I think "where are Hull now". Answer is a division below is, enjoying the salubrious away facilities of places like the Mem.

I tend to stop worrying too much about the sliding doors moments then.

Although one I would posit: what if the 1909 FA Cup had been our first FA Cup win rather than Manchester United's?

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Humble apologies.

Haha, I'm only messing around.

I'm not sure winning the FA Cup would have made much difference. We'd have different shaped corner flags and some bragging rights, but there's plenty of clubs that won the FA Cup in the early days and went on to do nothing.

Just now, BS2 Red said:

I'm not sure winning the FA Cup would have made much difference. We'd have different shaped corner flags and some bragging rights, but there's plenty of clubs that won the FA Cup in the early days and went on to do nothing.

Of course of course. I mean Huddersfield won the first division in triplicate...Ipswich won it as well. I know that Utd's modern power is attributable to far more important things than an fa cup win 111 years ago.

But, at least, we'd be able to say out club had won the thing.

Ones that have crossed my mind:

Steve Cotterill stays at City, despite being unable to strengthen, and a poor start, that famous team spirit sees us scramble enough points to survive. In the following summer Cotterill at last gets to play the transfer market. He also keeps the spine together of Ayling, Bryan, Smith, Freeman and the newly emerging Bobby Reid....

And another obvious one... City are beating 10 man Wolves, the fans are chanting "we're coming for you...!" From a late corner, Flint heads in the second goal of the game to clinch victory and continue City's great run of form. The league cup still ends in narrow defeat, but the league game with Aston Villa has a very different dynamic. City, with their tails up, rescue a point in a high scoring game at Villa Park and are 2nd in the league with 51 points and 19 games remaining in which to amass the 24 points required to finish in the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Of course of course. I mean Huddersfield won the first division in triplicate...Ipswich won it as well. I know that Utd's modern power is attributable to far more important things than an fa cup win 111 years ago.

But, at least, we'd be able to say out club had won the thing.

Yeah, being former FA Cup winners would be amazing. Just being able to say that would put us on a par with the likes of Old Carthusians.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Ones that have crossed my mind:

Steve Cotterill stays at City, despite being unable to strengthen, and a poor start, that famous team spirit sees us scramble enough points to survive. In the following summer Cotterill at last gets to play the transfer market. He also keeps the spine together of Ayling, Bryan, Smith, Freeman and the newly emerging Bobby Reid....

And another obvious one... City are beating 10 man Wolves, the fans are chanting "we're coming for you...!" From a late corner, Flint heads in the second goal of the game to clinch victory and continue City's great run of form. The league cup still ends in narrow defeat, but the league game with Aston Villa has a very different dynamic. City, with their tails up, rescue a point in a high scoring game at Villa Park and are 2nd in the league with 51 points and 19 games remaining in which to amass the 24 points required to finish in the playoffs.............

........which we conspire to lose anyway!

And Alan Walsh’s 90th minute shot against Nottingham Forest goes in off the post and we reach a Wembley Final as a third division team...

For what it’s worth, I think that beating Hull City would have been disastrous for the club.  If our attempts to strengthen the team the following season in the Championship are anything to go by, what we might have done in the Premiership doesn’t bear thinking about.  I suspect not only the lowest points total in Prem history, but a rapid descent to the fourth tier, a la Blackpool and Portsmouth.

After promotion to Division 1, instead  of giving existing players ten year contracts the board give Alan Dicks some big transfer funds to strengthen the team. This leads to a prolonged stay in the top flight. 

I remember a throw in that didn't go our way, in some game a couple of years back. 

I wasn't too perplexed by it at the time, but now I'm adamant that if that had gone our way then we'd be playing in the champions league tonight, rather than a championship game..! 

30 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

After promotion to Division 1, instead  of giving existing players ten year contracts the board give Alan Dicks some big transfer funds to strengthen the team. This leads to a prolonged stay in the top flight. 

He did buy established players who helped keep us up: Norman Hunter, Peter Cormack and Chris Garland come to mind, followed by Joe Royle the following season. These were top players at the time and 3 were recent international players.

It’s 1961 and a young Downendcity is taken to Eastville by Grandad MullerRoad and stood at the front railings just to the right of the main stand. What if the young Downend had been hypnotised by the blue and white quarters - what might have been?

Sent a shiver down my spine just typing this!

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

On the flip side, a huge amount of the money for building Old Trafford was from their FA Cup win.

Looking wider.

Sky TV  starts 25 years earlier in 1974.

Man U had just been relegated after four poor seasons and were replaced in Div 1 by Carlisle.

Sky would throw money at Carlisle and history would have been so different.

2 minutes ago, 22A said:

Looking wider.

Sky TV  starts 25 years earlier in 1974.

Man U had just been relegated after four poor seasons and were replaced in Div 1 by Carlisle.

Sky would throw money at Carlisle and history would have been so different.

Posted along these lines before, but had technology/history been about 40 years earlier, but football results unchanged, Huddersfield would be revered as Leeds are (by some).

Back to back League wins, FA Cup wins under Chapman, but now with the extra coverage and TV highlights meaning they will get the fans across the country.

Archived