IGNORED

Dean Holden vs B'mouth

Prinny

14 hours ago, Bristolisredd said:

Shouldn’t have sold eliasson 

We had no choice unfortunately..........but he was a game changer who would have come in very useful.  IMHO we sold Morrell too early, Holden knew that there were long term injuries to Williams and Walsh, and that Palmer was off.  We should have held onto Morrell until January at least, and until we saw what developed.......he is a regular in an international team, and we sold him too readily, he would now be getting game time, with the amount of fixtures we have to contend with.   A lot of posters were stating earlier on this season, that our midfield was overloaded, we could certainly do with an overloaded midfield now?

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

So while i see disagreement on which players to take off from the tired ones, Semenyo, Diedhiou, O'Dowda, Paterson, Hunt, (Rowe?) which is fair, after all there were lots of tired players out there, I think there's a general consensus that doing nothing much, was definitely the wrong thing, and it was seen at the time, not with hindsight.

Thought Rowe was doing fine, not a great deal from an attacking sense but with so many others tiring he definitely wasn’t one I would have taken off, but agree about the rest.

My concerns last night were twofold, another injury aside we could all pretty much guarantee beforehand the 3 subs we would use would be Brunt, Wells & Martin. For me last night was one where we needed to make 2 changes in midfield as we were being overrun there, either Nagy or HNM should have come on alongside Brunt. 

The subs were also made far too late, we were hanging on for ages before they scored, we needed to try to change that & either shore up the gaps or give them more to think about, Paterson has played all 8 league games now & is badly in need of a breather, yet was asked to do the full 90 again.

It is all a bit too robotic.

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

DH needs to be more decisive. Subs were required on 60 minutes to freshen up players that looked tired. Subbing on 80 minutes was far too late im afraid. 

Also how good is Josh King? He will piss allover the Championship if he stays

I thought our first half was excellent last night, and we just need a few players back for more strength in depth. I cannot wait to see Joe Williams in the middle of the park - he could be a significant piece in the puzzle

The commentator on the red button last night said that even Bournemouth themselves were fully expecting King to have gone this summer and had planned for life without him. So to have him until January at least is a huge boost for them. Solanke should do well at this level too.

Thought Bournemouth looked decent. Yet another side of strong athletes, with decent footballing ability, that powered their way through us as we flagged by the wayside.

Think it’s time for a refresh. Pato and CoD both were knackered after 50 minutes and need a rest (oddly in CoDs case as he’s played bugger all games). 

So my team for Nawrich

Bents

Hunt   Vyner  Kalas  Moore  Dasilva

Bakinson Rowe

Semenyo

Wells Martin

Slightly worrying that LJs tombola has been redeployed, with the additional pet hate of players being played out of position but ......... Semenyo, as the expert from Talksport said, while having qualities doesn’t seem to be a ‘natural’ forward so redeploy him for his strength and energy in that seemingly impossible-to-fill attacking midfield role and Rowe, wherever he plays, always produces a solid 6/7 out of 10 plus has an occasional goal in him. 

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

Thought Bournemouth looked decent. Yet another side of strong athletes, with decent footballing ability, that powered their way through us as we flagged by the wayside.

Think it’s time for a refresh. Pato and CoD both were knackered after 50 minutes and need a rest (oddly in CoDs case as he’s played bugger all games).

that’s match fitness he was missing....unsurprising he tailed off.

So my team for Nawrich

Bents

Hunt   Vyner  Kalas  Moore  Dasilva

Bakinson Rowe

Semenyo

Wells Martin

Slightly worrying that LJs tombola has been redeployed, with the additional pet hate of players being played out of position

Who’s deploying a tombola?  Tombola is a random selection.  I’ve seen no random selections from Holden.  I’d say every change has a perfectly reasonable reason, mainly rest / rotation or injury. Or do you mean you’re deploying the tombola?

but ......... Semenyo, as the expert from Talksport said, while having qualities doesn’t seem to be a ‘natural’ forward so redeploy him for his strength and energy in that seemingly impossible-to-fill attacking midfield role and Rowe, wherever he plays, always produces a solid 6/7 out of 10 plus has an occasional goal in him. 

⬆️⬆️⬆️

My team would probably be:

Bentley

Hunt / Vyner / Kalas / Moore / Dasilva

Bakinson / Brunt / Nagy (or Massengo)

Martin / Wells

(It’s no longer a “6 and two 8s”)

Some might play O’Dowda instead of Nagy.

I see no point in playing Rowe in midfield with the other options we have.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Bentley

Martin / Wells

Apart from Fam, that was my team for last night. 

On 28/10/2020 at 22:34, Silvio Dante said:

This. It’s the easy conclusion to say “game of two halves”, and for Radio Bristol to applaud Deans honesty for saying that was irksome. Put simply, we were second best for a long time in that second half and the ball wasnt “sticking” out so we had wave after wave to defend - no wonder the WBs tired. At an hour, the subs to make were Martin and Brunt for Fam and a Pato to get that control of the ball. It was blindingly obvious, and when we did make the change it was one that invited more pressure.

Really think DH got it badly wrong tonight in the second half, and the loss for me goes to his door.

Nagy in the right system doesn't lose the ball much either- showed this in spades in recent internationals vs decent sides away from home, younger than Brunt too so I might have gone with him.

Agree on Martin for Diedhiou, ball sticks well to him- thought Semenyo took a knock as well?

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Bentley

Martin / Wells

I  wouldnt disagree with that line up, my only worry would be how does that line up create any goals, except long crosses from Hunt to Martin.

I would like to see Nagy given a game or two as his ball retention and distribution are very good particularly against footballing sides.

40 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I  wouldnt disagree with that line up, my only worry would be how does that line up create any goals, except long crosses from Hunt to Martin.

I would like to see Nagy given a game or two as his ball retention and distribution are very good particularly against footballing sides.

Absolutely.

Also, with just 16 fit outfield players & so many games in a short period you simply have to make use of all of them.

If neither Nagy or Han Noah feature at all tomorrow (either starting or from the bench) it gives you the distinct impression they are only in the 18 because no one else is fit.

Nagy has recently played in 3 Nations League games in a week against the likes of Russia & Serbia, will have recovered since then & so is ideal for a game against a footballing side like Norwich.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Always difficult to predict where goals are gonna come from, but we did see that Nagy (at times when fit) does have an appetite to get forward.  On debut he burst into the box v Brum, albeit slices weakly wide, then his edge of the box goal v QPR, his link-up v Fulham (a) for Fam’s tap-in.

Without Weimann we have to play differently imho.  Trying to shoehorn O’Dowda in to play like Weimann is futile imho.  Let them play their natural game / to their strengths..

Against Norwich we need to care for the ball, or else we will spend a long time chasing after it.  Nagy gives us that, and generally tries to pass forward.  If he’s not the DM (which I don’t think he is suited for in Champ football - international he plays it more positionally to build attacks), I think he gets the opportunity to link better with the forwards....and City keep the ball too.

That’s my theory anyway.

Archived