IGNORED

Semenyo not good enough at this level

Better Red

First post so hopefully it’s ok. I have watched all games this season and I am not sure why people have been so positive about Semenyo. I know he is young and one of our own but really if I am honest and can’t tell you what type of striker he is. Pacey - not seen him out run anyone. Powerful - not seen him really out muscle. He does not run down the channels. He does not make runs into the box to create a pass from midfield. He is not a fox in the box. Does have a trick to make space and get a shot off. Not seen anything to say he is good in the air. So what is he? because unless he does one of these I am not sure he is a striker and if he is it ain’t at this level. Yes he is young and I am sure he will improve but at the moment better than Wells? No chance. Will he get 10 goals if he plays every game? Can’t see it. People will say Chelsea offered a million but we spent 5 million on Palmer and ODowda and goals return?  I have seen many positive post about his performances but again looking at tonight’s game I think the front 2 were part of the problem. Yes chances first half for both but crucially no goals. Would Nahki and Martin got a goal when we played so well? It’s harsh to criticise a young player but we also have to be honest at the moment he is simply not good enough.  Will he get better and become a championship striker? honestly not sure and likely no. I would love to be wrong and we find  another Bobby but don’t see that he has enough in his game to do that. Playing Fammy and Seymenyo says no goals to me and and an easy night for the opposition central defenders. Just let them play balls to there feet and they will never cause you a problem.  So the question is should he start over Wells? If we want to get into the top six not for me. And if Dean wants to keep his job I know who I would be starting with Wells. 

27 minutes ago, Better Red said:

First post so hopefully it’s ok. I have watched all games this season and I am not sure why people have been so positive about Semenyo. I know he is young and one of our own but really if I am honest and can’t tell you what type of striker he is. Pacey - not seen him out run anyone. Powerful - not seen him really out muscle. He does not run down the channels. He does not make runs into the box to create a pass from midfield. He is not a fox in the box. Does have a trick to make space and get a shot off. Not seen anything to say he is good in the air. So what is he? because unless he does one of these I am not sure he is a striker and if he is it ain’t at this level. Yes he is young and I am sure he will improve but at the moment better than Wells? No chance. Will he get 10 goals if he plays every game? Can’t see it. People will say Chelsea offered a million but we spent 5 million on Palmer and ODowda and goals return?  I have seen many positive post about his performances but again looking at tonight’s game I think the front 2 were part of the problem. Yes chances first half for both but crucially no goals. Would Nahki and Martin got a goal when we played so well? It’s harsh to criticise a young player but we also have to be honest at the moment he is simply not good enough.  Will he get better and become a championship striker? honestly not sure and likely no. I would love to be wrong and we find  another Bobby but don’t see that he has enough in his game to do that. Playing Fammy and Seymenyo says no goals to me and and an easy night for the opposition central defenders. Just let them play balls to there feet and they will never cause you a problem.  So the question is should he start over Wells? If we want to get into the top six not for me. And if Dean wants to keep his job I know who I would be starting with Wells. 

Do you think he can do anything ?

Do you see anything he provides in contrast to Wells ?

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought he was quality again.

Needs to keep working at aspects of his game and lap up the experience but he certainly hasn’t looked out of place this season where he looked lost in some early chances under LJ

Definite and clear progression,  and if he continues to work, develop and improve he could be a real player

I listened to the talksport commentary if the Seansea match. The summariser was Perry Groves alongside a commentator with definite bias and knowledge of the Swans. They talked a lot about Semenyo because of the time he spent and impressed at Newport.

Groves comments were telling. A young striker with plenty of potential but a lot to learn. Didn't link up with Martin at all well, didn't appear to know where to be for anticipated knock downs. Never gambled on balls in to the 6 yard area and notably was too similar to Martin in that he came towards the ball to receive it this they were both showing for the same ball. In other words as a partnership it just wasn't working. I've noticed similar when he plays in partnership with Fammy, they just do not look likely to score when together.

However, when he played up top on his own for Newport against Boro in l think the League Cup it was a draw at The Riverside and Newport won the replay comfortably, Boro fans were raving about him and how he ran the line in his own and basically beat the Boro defence single handedly. There was a clamour to get him signed until one of them noted he was on loan from us.

7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Needs to keep working at aspects of his game and lap up the experience but he certainly hasn’t looked out of place this season where he looked lost in some early chances under LJ

Definite and clear progression,  and if he continues to work, develop and improve he could be a real player

Agree, needs to add a little finesse and better positioning, but for me has looked promising so far. 

5 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

I listened to the talksport commentary if the Seansea match. The summariser was Perry Groves alongside a commentator with definite bias and knowledge of the Swans. They talked a lot about Semenyo because of the time he spent and impressed at Newport.

Groves comments were telling. A young striker with plenty of potential but a lot to learn. Didn't link up with Martin at all well, didn't appear to know where to be for anticipated knock downs. Never gambled on balls in to the 6 yard area and notably was too similar to Martin in that he came towards the ball to receive it this they were both showing for the same ball. In other words as a partnership it just wasn't working. I've noticed similar when he plays in partnership with Fammy, they just do not look likely to score when together.

However, when he played up top on his own for Newport against Boro in l think the League Cup it was a draw at The Riverside and Newport won the replay comfortably, Boro fans were raving about him and how he ran the line in his own and basically beat the Boro defence single handedly. There was a clamour to get him signed until one of them noted he was on loan from us.

All those criticisms might be true, but when I see him play he looks to me like a player that needs more gametime.

I think Semenyo and Massengo are similar in that regard. They're young, talented and naive. But the potential is there and they're learning. I think we should show some faith in them.

I also think Semenyo needs a Championship goal to get him really believing in himself.

Strikers are usually judged by the amount of goals they score and he isn’t scoring at the moment. If we as a team don’t start finding the back of the net soon our confidence will be shot and all the early optimism will be forgotten. Holden wanted to be manager so it’s time for him to earn his wages!

10 hours ago, Better Red said:

My gut thinks you're probably right, but he's 20 and still developing. His improvement - both physically and confidence-wise - means he's a handful for defenders, even if he lacks that poachers' instinct in front of goal. On those grounds, he deserves time and opportunities in the same way someone like Wes Burns had. He played 44 times for us. By the point, it was clear he wasn't up to it before being moved on. 

For comparison, look at Dominic Solanke last night. He's scored 5 goals in 50 games for Bournemouth, has never been prolific where he is but has somehow cost over £19m in transfer fees. I thought Semenyo was more effective than him last night. Give him time. 

At times he can look clumsy, but he harasses defender, makes runs and causes things to happen. Plus he's hardly played at this level, he will only get better.
I thought he was pretty good first half last night, he didn't looks effective as the team dropped deeper he obviously became less effective. 

2 hours ago, swanker said:

Strikers are usually judged by the amount of goals they score and he isn’t scoring at the moment. If we as a team don’t start finding the back of the net soon our confidence will be shot and all the early optimism will be forgotten. Holden wanted to be manager so it’s time for him to earn his wages!

I’m not sure Semenyo is a striker I think he’s a player who could play as a wide player (not wing back) or on the left of an attacking 3. 

9 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

I think that is a very good critique from Groves.  This is what you get with “raw”.  He has talent but probably not great “game intelligence”.  That can come with playing.  You’d hope Martin is getting hold of him in training and helping him.  Look how Wells anticipates Martin’s challenges.  He might also need a goal in the league.

3 hours ago, mozo said:

All those criticisms might be true, but when I see him play he looks to me like a player that needs more gametime.

I think Semenyo and Massengo are similar in that regard. They're young, talented and naive. But the potential is there and they're learning. I think we should show some faith in them.

I also think Semenyo needs a Championship goal to get him really believing in himself.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Semenyo really isnt good at this level nore diediou nor bakinson, having some moments bakinson but still not ready

31 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

6 months ago there were posters saying he was league two level and wouldn’t ever get much higher. Look how much he has improved in such a short space of time.  If we keep playing him he could be an automatic starter in another 6 months 

Just because you're on the field doesnt mean you have improved. Whats he done since playing this season?... Not alot

12 hours ago, Better Red said:

Welcome to the forum.

This post is very much in keeping with the traditional style here, well done.

You've skilfully avoided the 'happy clapper' tag early doors.

47 minutes ago, daored said:

I’m not sure Semenyo is a striker I think he’s a player who could play as a wide player (not wing back) or on the left of an attacking 3. 

Quite possibly. The thought of Semenyo and Eliasson flanking a striker (Wells?) would've had potential. We'll never know. 

35 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Semenyo really isnt good at this level nore diediou nor bakinson, having some moments bakinson but still not ready

Just because you're on the field doesnt mean you have improved. Whats he done since playing this season?... Not alot

No point in discussing anything with you mate as everything is unrealistically gloomy and the end of the world is nigh with you. Waste of time 

Archived