IGNORED

Semenyo not good enough at this level

Better Red

I’ll be honest I had my doubts before this season but am happy to say he has proved me wrong.

He was only 20 in January so clearly has time on his side to improve, but the improvement in him this season has been marked.

He is quick, direct & strong for his age.

Was very surprised when the commentator said last night that it was his 50th league appearance but on checking only 19 of those have actually been starts.

Obvious to say but he needs to start to score goals more regularly (only 3 league ones so far) but all of a sudden I can see why Chelsea were interested when he was 18.

Personally I think he still lacks that intelligence to be a goalscoring forward at present but his physical attributes make him an outstanding prospect.

Last night, he would have made more of an impact coming on fresh from the bench, his energy would have been the boost we needed in the second half.

On saying that, it will have done wonders for his development to start against the very top end championship defenders.

12 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

Pathetic thread. MUCH MUCH better than under LJ.

I have 2 comments to make. If we react like this to posts we don't agree with, most posters will stop and we will be left with the radicals.

Second point

As a forward I think we are quite a difficult side to play for. We don't create a lot of chances overall. We don't really have a great passer from midfield (like Palmer gave us) so forwards are reluctant to run in behind the defence.

We don't consistently get behind teams and get quality crosses in.

We don't have a midfielder who runs at the defence creating gaps.

As such for a forward what do you do.

Come short for a ball to feet? This is OK but often your options are limited when you get the ball.

Flick the ball on? Again this is not an established pattern so its unlikely someone will be running past you to collect

Get in the box early? Sometimes the ball comes quickly but more often there is a delay and you run offside

I think a lack of a plan when we get into the final third as a breakaway or under a controlled build up has been with us for a while.

We sort of play it by ear and almost score by mistake.

The great coaches always say that you start with clean sheets and build from there.

I am hoping that as the season goes on we develop an attacking strategy that the whole team understands and buys into.

If we do this each player will know his role and we should start to see a pattern emerge.

As DH was a defender I am hoping that our new coaches will work hard on our final third play.

45 minutes ago, tin said:

Quite possibly. The thought of Semenyo and Eliasson flanking a striker (Wells?) would've had potential. We'll never know. 

How about a Liverpool style 4-3-3 with Semenyo as the Mane, Wells as the Firmino, and O-Dowda as the very very very poor man's Salah?

You've then got room for Bakinson as the Fabinho, Paterson as the Thiago, and one of our many midfielders as the box to box Hendo role.

Hunt and DaSilva can be our attacking full backs and we get to play with 2 centre backs which helps manage the injury crisis in that department.

The only downside I see there is how Martin fits, but unfortunately he'd be the Origi of the squad.

I genuinely think it's the best fit for this squad. Paterson can deputise for one of the wide forward roles if need be.

Semenyo clearly isn’t the finished article but he’s well worth his place in the squad. Direct running at defenders a couple times last night, they didn’t like it one bit. We don’t have any other player currently that does that, so he stays in for me. Okay, maybe not quite good enough to compete consistently against the better teams, but he’s going to get better, that much is obvious.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think that is a very good critique from Groves.  This is what you get with “raw”.  He has talent but probably not great “game intelligence”.  That can come with playing.  You’d hope Martin is getting hold of him in training and helping him.  Look how Wells anticipates Martin’s challenges.  He might also need a goal in the league.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

This this this 

3 years in a professional set up 

Plucked not far from a street & amateur footballer background in the most basic terms 

Massive leap 

Some obvious attributes and what’s pleased me about him this season is clear progression in parts of his game and a step in development, as a young player , if you are progressing you always have a chance , it’s when you don’t progress over a significant period you would be worried

i did worry when he looked so lost under LJ and he even looked not overly hungry

I don’t know what’s happened but he seems to have his mo jo (Could be just confidence ?) back and looks at it and hungrier

Encouraging

Still only 20 too, and lots of pieces to work on 

I think he has the potential to suddenly kick on further and become a talked about player in this league
Someone like Martin , as you highlight Dave may be worth as a signing for what he can pass onto Semenyo alone , if Semenyo can absorb it

If he starts impressing , along with a 10 goal a season he’s suddenly worth ?

What did Eze go for ?

Semenyo’s game / development and his strengths / weaknesses are one of the more interesting things to watch atm

37 minutes ago, mozo said:

How about a Liverpool style 4-3-3 with Semenyo as the Mane, Wells as the Firmino, and O-Dowda as the very very very poor man's Salah?

You've then got room for Bakinson as the Fabinho, Paterson as the Thiago, and one of our many midfielders as the box to box Hendo role.

Hunt and DaSilva can be our attacking full backs and we get to play with 2 centre backs which helps manage the injury crisis in that department.

The only downside I see there is how Martin fits, but unfortunately he'd be the Origi of the squad.

I genuinely think it's the best fit for this squad. Paterson can deputise for one of the wide forward roles if need be.

With the hapless Mawson as our Van Dijk, unfortunately. ?

51 minutes ago, Gazred said:

He lacks a bit of composure and looks a little panicky at times but that can certainly improve with more game time. He's a beast of a player though.

Loved his press and block straight from the kick off 2nd half.

A certainly Bobby Reid used to snatch at his chances early in his career....as did Josh Brownhill too.  Reid showed at the start of 16/17 that he could score (he scored 3/4 in opening 8/9 games from midfield)....then changed to striker in 17/18.

Antoine will have got a boost from his 2 cup goals.  Now needs one in the league.

He’s not one to give up on at just 20.

3 hours ago, Fammyfan said:

Personally I think he still lacks that intelligence to be a goalscoring forward at present but his physical attributes make him an outstanding prospect.

Last night, he would have made more of an impact coming on fresh from the bench, his energy would have been the boost we needed in the second half.

On saying that, it will have done wonders for his development to start against the very top end championship defenders.

Yeah I'd agree with this, I don't think he gets himself into the right position to score enough goals. He's pretty unselfish and will happily run channels a lot more than Wells though. 

I'd start Wells most games, but Semenyo's pace & power is a decent option to have off the bench. 

2 hours ago, Matty Taylors a Red said:

I wrote Semenyo off last season but he’s proved me wrong. For me Diedhiou was the issue up front last night, the bloke has 0 technical ability. Compared to last season he’s been awful, and the gulf between himself and Martin is huge. 

Absolute rubbish.

He needs a run in the side to get to peak performance. He starts slowly almost every season. 

16 hours ago, Better Red said:

First post so hopefully it’s ok. I have watched all games this season and I am not sure why people have been so positive about Semenyo. I know he is young and one of our own but really if I am honest and can’t tell you what type of striker he is. Pacey - not seen him out run anyone. Powerful - not seen him really out muscle. He does not run down the channels. He does not make runs into the box to create a pass from midfield. He is not a fox in the box. Does have a trick to make space and get a shot off. Not seen anything to say he is good in the air. So what is he? because unless he does one of these I am not sure he is a striker and if he is it ain’t at this level. Yes he is young and I am sure he will improve but at the moment better than Wells? No chance. Will he get 10 goals if he plays every game? Can’t see it. People will say Chelsea offered a million but we spent 5 million on Palmer and ODowda and goals return?  I have seen many positive post about his performances but again looking at tonight’s game I think the front 2 were part of the problem. Yes chances first half for both but crucially no goals. Would Nahki and Martin got a goal when we played so well? It’s harsh to criticise a young player but we also have to be honest at the moment he is simply not good enough.  Will he get better and become a championship striker? honestly not sure and likely no. I would love to be wrong and we find  another Bobby but don’t see that he has enough in his game to do that. Playing Fammy and Seymenyo says no goals to me and and an easy night for the opposition central defenders. Just let them play balls to there feet and they will never cause you a problem.  So the question is should he start over Wells? If we want to get into the top six not for me. And if Dean wants to keep his job I know who I would be starting with Wells. 

Welcome Better Red.

Whatever you say is okay. It's a forum, and everyone has an opinion.

Keep posting.

9 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Yeah I'd agree with this, I don't think he gets himself into the right position to score enough goals. He's pretty unselfish and will happily run channels a lot more than Wells though. 

I'd start Wells most games, but Semenyo's pace & power is a decent option to have off the bench. 

Absolute rubbish.

He needs a run in the side to get to peak performance. He starts slowly almost every season. 

I don’t disagree with this, but your point isn’t mutually exclusive to mine. Diedhiou isn’t technically gifted; he doesn’t strike the ball properly (by this I mean look at Mason Greenwood who’s technique is impeccable) and his ball control, which I thought was improving last season, was horrendous last night.

I appreciate he does have redeeming attributes though, so hopefully he gets up to speed and displays them soon. 

1 minute ago, Matty Taylors a Red said:

I don’t disagree with this, but your point isn’t mutually exclusive to mine. Diedhiou isn’t technically gifted; he doesn’t strike the ball properly (by this I mean look at Mason Greenwood who’s technique is impeccable) and his ball control, which I thought was improving last season, was horrendous last night.

I appreciate he does have redeeming attributes though, so hopefully he gets up to speed and displays them soon. 

Technically gifted and having 0 technical ability is pretty far apart. 

Whilst I'd agree he's not in the category of 'technically gifted' (not many are) He has technical ability, he's hardly Sunday league is he?

Finally decided to take Sky up on the £18 offer (I'm getting refunded @£23 per home game so silly not to) and watched City for the first time this season (and looking at the tv listings, I'll be watching them Saturday and Friday next week as well, woo hoo). I can't bring myself to pay for the streamed games as what they are charging is too much for what is on offer.

Personally, I thought Semenyo played well. A bit rough around the edges but I'm not expecting the finished article just yet.

I'd say revisit his progress later in the season and then re-assess.

I thought Semenyo looked promising yesterday, certainly better than Famara did. 

He showed hunger, he held the ball well but we lacked support around him. He's not going to beat the whole Bournemouth back line by himself and the support he has was woeful, when he did have support he looked twice the player Famara did. I think Semenyo and Martin would be a while different outcome, Semenyo and Famara just don't work well together, I'd even take Wells with Semenyo over Famara and Wells right now. 

Strikers will never look great without supply either, you only need to look at the midfield to see why our strikers don't shine. We've never been the strongest in midfield but since Brownhill left we've got very little attacking mentality in the middle, even with a striker like Weimann or Patterson playing there. We need a midfielder who can run at players and make good passes, Bakinson is showing signs of that but he can't run the whole midfield by himself in his first proper season. 

21 minutes ago, Spike said:

I thought Semenyo looked promising yesterday, certainly better than Famara did. 

He showed hunger, he held the ball well but we lacked support around him. He's not going to beat the whole Bournemouth back line by himself and the support he has was woeful, when he did have support he looked twice the player Famara did. I think Semenyo and Martin would be a while different outcome, Semenyo and Famara just don't work well together, I'd even take Wells with Semenyo over Famara and Wells right now. 

Strikers will never look great without supply either, you only need to look at the midfield to see why our strikers don't shine. We've never been the strongest in midfield but since Brownhill left we've got very little attacking mentality in the middle, even with a striker like Weimann or Patterson playing there. We need a midfielder who can run at players and make good passes, Bakinson is showing signs of that but he can't run the whole midfield by himself in his first proper season. 

Agree with comment regarding midfield. Pato and Bakinson look most likely to be the ones to open up a defence but they need someone to run in behind. Wells is the only one that looks like he understands that.  Semenyo and Fammy play with there backs to the ball. O’Dowda has the pace but can’t recall him doing that. We seem to lack players that get in behind the oppositions defence. Our wingbacks rarely get to the byline. Maybe it’s personal or maybes it’s tactics but unless we start to turn defenders around more during games I don’t think we will make the next step up. We are to predictable and therefore easy to set up against.  Bobby made those runs and it terrified defenders they could not go to tight knowing he could spin off. He put doubt in there mind. Wells I feel does the same. Martin is a different player and has been excellent. We have done  well to get him.  I would start him every game as long as he’s fitness allowed. As a front two Wells and Martin are in a different league to Fammy and Seymenyo and if I were paid on results they would be starters every game.  I am not anti Seymenyo but I don’t get excited like when Andy Cole, Bobby Reid, Maynard would go at defenders. Maybe he can be that player but he needs better coaching to get there

On 29/10/2020 at 12:53, Fordy62 said:

I like him. He’s more industrious than Wells, if only you could pair Wells’ finishing with Every other one of Semenyo’s attributes, we’d have a £50m striker. 

Yeah I was thinking about this when watching Jeff Goldblum get in that teleporter in The Fly the other night. If we could stick Semenyo and Wells in one of those and merge their DNA what a player that might be. 

Playing them together in the same side though maybe not so much. 

On 28/10/2020 at 23:01, Better Red said:

First post so hopefully it’s ok. I have watched all games this season and I am not sure why people have been so positive about Semenyo. I know he is young and one of our own but really if I am honest and can’t tell you what type of striker he is. Pacey - not seen him out run anyone. Powerful - not seen him really out muscle. He does not run down the channels. He does not make runs into the box to create a pass from midfield. He is not a fox in the box. Does have a trick to make space and get a shot off. Not seen anything to say he is good in the air. So what is he? because unless he does one of these I am not sure he is a striker and if he is it ain’t at this level. Yes he is young and I am sure he will improve but at the moment better than Wells? No chance. Will he get 10 goals if he plays every game? Can’t see it. People will say Chelsea offered a million but we spent 5 million on Palmer and ODowda and goals return?  I have seen many positive post about his performances but again looking at tonight’s game I think the front 2 were part of the problem. Yes chances first half for both but crucially no goals. Would Nahki and Martin got a goal when we played so well? It’s harsh to criticise a young player but we also have to be honest at the moment he is simply not good enough.  Will he get better and become a championship striker? honestly not sure and likely no. I would love to be wrong and we find  another Bobby but don’t see that he has enough in his game to do that. Playing Fammy and Seymenyo says no goals to me and and an easy night for the opposition central defenders. Just let them play balls to there feet and they will never cause you a problem.  So the question is should he start over Wells? If we want to get into the top six not for me. And if Dean wants to keep his job I know who I would be starting with Wells. 

Did you watch tne game tonight???

Maybe that answered your question somewhat.

I thought he had a great game when he came on. He is player that could play wide in a front three. But I have not changed my mind I don’t think he will make a championship striker.
I dont think he will score goals at this level. I think he can cause problems playing wider especially when coming on later in games. But will he get you 10/15 goals a season, I just don’t think so. I hope I am proved wrong and have to eat humble pie. I am sure I will be reminded when he scores a goal but for the moment sticking to my guns not a striker.

44 minutes ago, Better Red said:

I thought he had a great game when he came on. He is player that could play wide in a front three. But I have not changed my mind I don’t think he will make a championship striker.
I dont think he will score goals at this level. I think he can cause problems playing wider especially when coming on later in games. But will he get you 10/15 goals a season, I just don’t think so. I hope I am proved wrong and have to eat humble pie. I am sure I will be reminded when he scores a goal but for the moment sticking to my guns not a striker.

He’s smart.  Targeted the big lump of a centre back who was in a yellow card and turned him inside out more than once.

When in hole stop digging.

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

"Wide Forward" was where he played for Newport.  Not saying its his best position, but he did well tonight.  I'm still not sure what position is.  He's raw, he's off the cuff.  Just let him loose and see what happens.

35 minutes ago, Malago said:

He’s smart.  Targeted the big lump of a centre back who was in a yellow card and turned him inside out more than once.

When in hole stop digging.

Sarr is a very clumsy defender....mentioned it pre-season when there was talk of bringing him in on a free.

Archived