IGNORED

Ashton out

bristolcitysweden

12 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I'm protecting Dean and his goodwill for something at last positive. If things go bad Ashton should hang high and not Dean.

Out of interest- what things would you class as "bad"? Would it be not being in top six? Would it just be losing a few matches or would it be fighting relegation? Could it be over a third of our first team being out with injury?

*Spoiler Alert* 

We are going to lose and draw a number of games during the season as well as winning a few.

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Got an injury list for Nathan Baker?   

His problem is going off injured, not being off injured

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's the recurring ankle injuries and achilles tendon - all interlinked. That's why.

But he hasn't missed any number of games?

6 hours ago, Johnr1986 said:

I allow both Eliasson & Palmer and to a lesser extent smosdics to leave taking away the sides creativity, means as a set we are very predictable and limited how we can change things around. And then not sign a replacement is odd, add that to the cb situation where we are down to the only 3 we can pick is poor from him. Then imo signing brunt where we where already top heavy with cm is weird one . 

You surely cant blame Ashton for letting Palmer and Eliason go.

Neither were getting in the squad so they were not in the managers plans - why would you keep them if the manager isn't even putting them on the bench?

38 minutes ago, phantom said:

His problem is going off injured, not being off injured

But he hasn't missed any number of games?

Erm? By my count he's missed 48 games from combined ankle and achilles injuries. That's about an average season. That's also not including the 'knock' injuries that could also have been ankle related.

I think the question to ask is what would have been the expectation had Houghton been appointed? Top 6 surely. 

Given that it was decided over the course of the interview process that Holden was a better candidate than Hughton, then the expectation should be the same. 

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

So you are saying we should have signed a midfielder, but we also shouldn't have signed a midfielder because we had too many.

And we also should have signed a defender when Mawson got injured, even though the transfer window was shut.

Those sound like completely fair and valid criticisms.

Mawson was a gamble given his previous injury record, add that to the fact baker and kalas both spend a fair amount off the field, you could argue that it was a gamble not worth taking, 

Brunt is not creative in the same mould as a Eliasson or Palmer so to let both go and not replace that type of player , yet sign another defensive type one is odd, rather we spent brunt’s wages on a player that would have improved squad and added some creativity which in certain games would allow us to set up differently and not so predictable which is what we are currently.

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Too early to judge Ashton this season. So far he's done his job, we strengthened well (on paper) and got respectable deals for our outgoing players.

I've said before that in my opinion he 'lives and dies' (figuratively - sorry @bristolcitysweden) by the Holden appointment. If it turns out to be a flop then he probably should go. 

Depends, I feel as though MA was about as happy as Jon Lansdown was in that interview after hiring Holden (not at all)

This appointment reeked of one man, and that man is Steve Lansdown. 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Depends, I feel as though MA was about as happy as Jon Lansdown was in that interview after hiring Holden (not at all)

This appointment reeked of one man, and that man is Steve Lansdown. 

Reeked is a bit strong, but yes, completely agree on the nub of this.

One couldn't help but detect an overpowering whiff of SL in the prevailing wind that swept up DH so unexpectedly and deposited him, wide- eyed, in to the hot seat.

Archived