IGNORED

The goals have dried up - the problem is still the midfield

Dr Balls

2 hours ago, tin said:

What concerns me is Holden seemingly can't see he is running players into the ground. While he didn't have a plethora of options to swap Hunt, COD, Pato, Diedhiou, it will take them longer to recovery - particulary with our next game at 12.30 on Saturday. He can't throw Nagy and Massengo in for that and expect them to match the intensity on show last night when they lack match fitness like others who've had to bide their time on the sidelines in recent weeks. 

I believe he made 4 or 5 changes to the starting line up last night. Do you really think that he should make more than that? 

11 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

So in the last 3 games we have scored just one goal and that was from a penalty. Some might blame the attackers not being up to the mark, which is probably true. Some might suggest we have been unlucky, which may also have a grain of truth. However I am going to suggest that much like previous seasons, we still don’t quite have the balance right in midfield, especially in terms of creativity.

Paterson has been the favourite of our coach again so far this season but as is so often the case, his form has been so-so, occasionally hot, often not. Weimann is likely out all season, while Palmer is out on loan at least until January. Morrell has been sold, Williams is still injured, while Nagy and Massengo are clearly not options as far as Holden is concerned as he picks CO’D before them. Bakinson is still young and has only just started playing at this level in a defensive midfield role, while Brunt is no longer quite the player he was for much of his time at West Brom.

The games are coming thick and fast for weeks at a time, and so there will have to be some rotation going on. We may strike it lucky and find a midfield combination that can give the team the creative boost that it needs, but there are distinct elements of deja vu from previous seasons about the performances over the last week or so.

I think our midfield ray of hope is Bakinson

He passes the ball early, forward and at pace. Sure he tired last night and I think coaches soon see what he has and he gets extra attention but he seems to find really good balls to feet whilst others look for the 5 yard sideways pass. The problem is, he is too often the only genuine midfielder in our team

14 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I believe he made 4 or 5 changes to the starting line up last night. Do you really think that he should make more than that? 

I'm not talking about the starting lineup. I'm talking about game management. It was obvious, to me at least at the time and not in hindsight, that those players I named were tiring and fresh legs were needed earlier. 

38 minutes ago, tin said:

I'm not talking about the starting lineup. I'm talking about game management. It was obvious, to me at least at the time and not in hindsight, that those players I named were tiring and fresh legs were needed earlier. 

I was frustrated too that he waited too long to bring on subs. However you did say you thought he was running players into the ground. I assume he made a lot of changes partly because he wanted to rest the likes of Martin and JD. 

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

I was frustrated too that he waited too long to bring on subs. However you did say you thought he was running players into the ground. I assume he made a lot of changes partly because he wanted to rest the likes of Martin and JD. 

And I stand by that. You agree earlier subs should've been made and I think that would've - a) given a breather to those players I mentioned and helped them recover in time for the 12.30pm start on Saturday, and b) given some time to players who Holden says will be needed, notably Nagy and Massengo. Because he didn't, he risks running those players I mentioned into the ground. Due to sales or injuries, there are no backups for Hunt or Pato, while the likes of Diedhiou and COD are gaining match fitness. Any of those being subbed last night around the hour mark would've made absolute sense, IMO. Doing nothing made no sense. 

Our midfield has been poor for a long time despite constantly buying midfielders. However we will have Bakinson Walsh and Williams fit at some point.

As for last night our forwards missed a chance a piece Bakinson had a goal bound shot tipped around and we had one cleared off the line all in the first half.....This is not a Patterson/Odowda/this weeks whipping boy problem, this is a not taking chances, getting in front and killing games problem!

Archived